Join Early Retirement Today
Old 12-24-2012, 08:40 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Wow that scanner is lot more than I expected.

Doesn't look like you can scan photos?
If one needs only the occasional doc scanned, a smartphone with a fairly decent camera might be able to easily capture it for a quick solution.You can then email it to yourself and then file it. I can clearly read the content of this newspaper page (not sure if it will keep the same resolution here):

Go Cubs
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2012, 08:40 AM   #22
gone traveling
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Regarding back-ups, I used to have a RAID 1 (mirrored) array on my computer...(snip)...
Same here concering using a RAID to avoid hardware problems. Still have (and use) it on my primary desktop PC.

In addition, I use Carbonite (backs up to servers in Boston) which is automatic and gives me backup if the house burns down.

Before using Carbonite, I would do the backup routine and take the media to my bank safe deposit box. This is much easier and at the same time ensures that nothing is forgotten.

As far as the scanner goes, the 3-in one (Epson) that I use takes the scanned documents and backs them up on Carbonite (off-site) along with a copy I keep on my PC, locally.

rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:55 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I have been keeping new records in electronic format. Still have to solve the trouble of storage, even though I have two home servers (one has mirrored drives) plus a USB drive. Quad redundancy!

Well, this level of redundancy was not intentional. While rearranging the storage space between them, my Windoze Home Server (the one with mirrored drives) refused to boot up, hence froze up its content. Piece of crap! I have not gotten around to retrieve the internal hard drives.

It's never that easy for me. I would set up something nice, then the damn thing crashed. Piece of crap!

And then, I still need to arrange for off-site storage. Have not gotten around to shop for cloud storage either. Too lazy now to drive to the bank vault.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:02 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
The Scansnap software apparently will scan to PDFs and upload them to Evernote, where if you get the premium service, they will OCR all PDFs, so you can search through them.

I download PDFs of all my credit card statements and Spotlight on OS X seems to be able to find individual transactions by searching for expected keywords.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:31 PM   #25
We use a straightline piling system, excepting tax documents, which go into a folder... very few, 'cuz we're poor.

Piling system is simple... spindle first... then a Sterlite clear storage box... all paper goes there after it's been read or handled. The rare times when we need something, it takes just a short time to look through the pile. At the end of the year, it all goes into a plastic bag, and at the end of three years, it goes away.

For anything that is on-line, a click on FastStone Capture, turns it into a JPG, that is saved to Google Drive.

For finding anything on my computer, I use Everything, which has saved me many, many, times.

Have made spreadsheets for most important info... med history, prescription drugs, addresses and phone numbers, calenders, financial, etc... and keep on Google Drive...
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:49 PM   #26
While I try to go paperless as much as I can (I live overseas), all of my lifetime tax, financial, health, education records fit into a single box (located in the USA) that is about 12 inches by 12 inches by 24 inches (one of those Costco office boxes). I found that it was easy to get rid of excess paper, only keep year end investing statements, etc. I group health receipts by year and put them in a special folder. It just doesn't take that much space (for me) once it is organized. As a computer guy, I have to admit that paper is a great user interface, lol.

At the end of each year, I just take pictures of receipts that matter (and I keep the paper receipts). Tax returns are already online via turbo tax and generated PDF. Year end financial statements are available online.
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:14 AM   #27
Updating this old thread. I recently bought a Doxie Go, and I thought I'd provide my initial impressions. I am pleased with the purchase. It was a bit more than I wanted to spend, but was still a reasonably decent value, vis a vis the human cost of maintaining paper records. I'm using it to scan various items that I couldn't force paperless (this week: instructions for filing certain legal documents, paychecks, and notification letters from retirement plans that only provide statements electronically), which I thereafter shred.

The Doxie is very deliberately a solution for the occasional document you need to scan; it is not intended to be a path to paperless in the absence of eliminating most forms of paper distributions (as I have). I sometimes have to try two or even three times to get a clean scan, with papers that aren't in great shape or have very pronounced creases, but it takes less than eight seconds per page, so that's no problem whatsoever. The import works well, but I wish that I could zoom in on the pages before saving them as PDF, because some pages look the same at the zoom level that they are displayed at, and I don't like relying on my memory of the order I scanned things, especially given that I have dupes or triplicates in there (attempts to get cleaner, straighter scans).

Being able to carry this (comparatively) itty-bitty device around, cordless, is fantastic. Once I have a greater level of confidence, that advantage will really come into its own, as I'll feel more emboldened to scan and shred most (though perhaps not all) documents without even ensuring that the scan makes it to Carbonite first.

When we decided to go paperless, just switching to paperless for providers who offered that option, and switching to providers that did offer the paperless option, reduced the paper-clutter around the house by 90%. The Doxie Go is going to help us get us to a 98% solution.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:24 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets
I have two small 1 terabyte drives. One is at home and the other is in the safe deposit box at our nearby bank branch. Once per quarter, we copy any updated documents to the one at home and take that one to the bank for swap out. Still don't trust the online sites with my personal data. BTW, I use PaperPort for scanning items.
davismills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:15 AM   #29
Just checked out scanner and we're at 192k pages run through it (fujitsu scansnap 1500m). We wore out the pick roller and pad assembly but since we replaced them it's been running like new.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:36 AM   #30
If I have more than a few pages to scan I use the copier/scanner at the local library for free.

It has document feed, duplex scanning capability, and pdf generation. The results can be sent via email or to saved to a usb stick. There is also a clear data button on the device to support privacy.

gauss is offline   Reply With Quote