Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-12-2009, 07:20 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
But 20% faster than 4.5A battery. Of course it's significant. A 3% drop in the market is headline news, and it does not happen that often (barring the present time. Here we have 10-20% all the time.

Sam
Not to nitpick, but this is a little misleading.

20% is the differential between the slowest discharging battery (4.5A) and the quickest (5.5A). In an ideal scenario, all three batteries would discharge at 5A, and thus satisfy your load requirement of 15A. Consequently, the net difference in the ideal/non-ideal scenario is .5A (5.5 -5), or only about 10%.

You would be correct about the 3% drop in the market, and I was not attempting to marginalize your problem. I apologize if it appeared that way, I was just trying to explain the effect. Regardless, it is not my place to say what is sufficient for you and what is not.

If it is your power-bill that concerns you, then you should sleep soundly in knowing that you are not wasting anymore power than you would have where the battery's to have the same output. The slower discharging battery offsets the quicker discharging battery.

Anyhow, Enjoy your ER. We should all be so lucky.

BTW, I am curious. What made you break out the multimeter anyways? Is nice to know that people still test the products they buy.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2009, 07:45 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by landonew View Post

it is not my place to say what is sufficient for you and what is not.
There it is! The understatement of the day!

Old 03-12-2009, 07:53 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
12.4 is a good conservative voltage for 50 charge, 12.3 would be closer to the actual. Discharged to 11.94 is a dead battery. All these numbers are unloaded i.e. open circuit 12 HR no load conditions for marine type quasi deep cycle batteries.,

Typical dead battery readings on per cell basis for flooded lead acid:
auto 1.75, traction 1.70, stationary 1.85 volts.
By the way none of these numbers are cast in stone, good bit of variations claimed by various mfg.

Happy camping.
Was this based on your own testing? Or did you somehow average the far flung numbers available in the literature and claims of various manufacturers?
Old 03-12-2009, 08:05 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Was this based on your own testing? Or did you somehow average the far flung numbers available in the literature and claims of various manufacturers?
Roughly averaged a bunch of mfg numbers I had collected over the years.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:41 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Roughly averaged a bunch of mfg numbers I had collected over the years.
It would be worthwhile for the OP to contact the mfg. I'm sure they would tell him what the voltage values are for state of charge for his particular mfg/model of battery.

I just know batteries in general, I'm no expert on real specifics like that. But I would think that little details in the design and components could change those voltages a bit. I'm also pretty sure the mfg would *have* to know them, or they couldn't rate their batteries.

-ERD50
Old 03-13-2009, 09:55 AM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by landonew View Post
BTW, I am curious. What made you break out the multimeter anyways? Is nice to know that people still test the products they buy.
I was curious too. Almost everyone in-the-know strongly recommends the use of same age/type/capacity batteries when used as one. I was already convinced that different batteries are not efficient, but still wanted to know how efficient "identical" batteries are.

I'm satisfied with the performance of the battery bank, although I still wish for a better distributed system.

However, I am confident that with proper test equiqments, I would have found the same discrepancy amongst the 2V cells of one single 12V battery. Oh well...

Sam