Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-21-2008, 01:12 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
You'll have to start giving them the shaka back.

From the homeports towns you've mentioned I'm beginning to speculate that you were raised Navy...
Navy wife. He just did 10 years, but that accounts for Meridian, Norfolk, and San Diego, plus Honolulu where we originally met.

My father was a surgeon (and understandably not thrilled about me marrying a Navy sonar tech). Remember what they tell young island girls? Don't date a military man or you'll leave and never come back. Guess that has been true, for me, though my life has been fun anyway.

I had completely forgotten about the shaka! I haven't lived there in such a long time.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2008, 01:37 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Remember what they tell young island girls? Don't date a military man or you'll leave and never come back.
And that's exactly why some of the locals (both genders now) choose to date military!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 01:54 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
And that's exactly why some of the locals (both genders now) choose to date military!
Probably that would work, for those who want to leave the islands! I really didn't, at the time, but was madly in LOVE... y'know how that is when you're young. That and not much else held our marriage together for 23 years, before it cratered.

Old 02-21-2008, 01:56 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Wild chickens? Piglets in bags? Cow milking techniques? Donkeys? Eek!!
That's all pretty staid, but consider that cattle aren't real respectful of water supplies. Sometimes it wasn't just muddy water.... My Mom used to discriminate between country dirt (not harmful) and city dirt (nasty disgusting stuff). A country mouse was clean and friendly, while a city rat was probably carrying all manner of vile diseases - probably did drugs and smoked, withall. Things that got cooked were held to be safe for consumption, though if you noticed the bug or maybe the dark flecks in the biscuits that could have been almost anything, but probably came from the critter that left the wee mousey footyprints in the flour in the bin - it was ok to pick those out.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 02:02 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
That's all pretty staid, but consider that cattle aren't real respectful of water supplies. Sometimes it wasn't just muddy water.... My Mom used to discriminate between country dirt (not harmful) and city dirt (nasty disgusting stuff). A country mouse was clean and friendly, while a city rat was probably carrying all manner of vile diseases - probably did drugs and smoked, withall. Things that got cooked were held to be safe for consumption, though if you noticed the bug or maybe the dark flecks in the biscuits that could have been almost anything, but probably came from the critter that left the wee mousey footyprints in the flour in the bin - it was ok to pick those out.
!!! Double EEK!!

No mousy footprints for me!!

Well, I must admit that growing up on the beach in Hawaii, I had cane spiders and coconut mice and a lot of unspecified insects crawling over me at night a lot. But I regarded them as clean and not a health hazard so much as an annoyance. We kept all grains, flour, and cereals in the freezer, and when the termites swarmed, their little dead bodies would be 6" deep all over the house and we would sweep them up into the trash cans. Didn't worry about it, though. Guess it's all in the attitude.

But to tell you the honest truth, I am terrified of cows!!! I have never been near one without a fence in between, and I would be afraid it might step on me or push me over or something. So, tropical vermin aside, I am more the city girl than a redneck.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:35 PM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
...But to tell you the honest truth, I am terrified of cows!!! I have never been near one without a fence in between, and I would be afraid it might step on me or push me over or something. So, tropical vermin aside, I am more the city girl than a redneck.
That's not the way cow tipping is supposed to work.
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 02:39 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantlogin View Post
That's not the way cow tipping is supposed to work.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:39 PM   #48
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Wild chickens? Piglets in bags? Cow milking techniques? Donkeys? Eek!!
This is all making me somewhat nostalgic.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:42 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
This is all making me somewhat nostalgic.
Each to his own!!

Old 02-21-2008, 04:22 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
These are more Midwest than Redneck, but there seems to be some overlap.....

If You Grew Up in the Midwest , then.
You know what knee-high by the Fourth of July means.
You buy Christmas presents at Fleet Farm.

You or someone you know was a 'Dairy Princess' at the county fair.

You know that 'combine' is a noun.

You let your older siblings talk you into putting your tongue on a steel post in the middle of winter.

You think Lutheran and Catholic are THE major religions.

Football schedules, hunting season, and harvest, are all taken into consideration before wedding dates are set.

Saturday you go to your local bowling alley.

There was at least one, if not several, in your class who had to help milk cows in the morning.

You have driven your car on the lake.

Your definition of a small town is one that only has one bar.

The local gas station sells live bait.

You think that the start of deer season is a national holiday.

Since I moved out West I would add, "you can't take the twang out of a mid-westerner."

I deleted some relating to alcohol because the third major religion was Methodist, which really screwed me up. In some towns, all the people live in the tavern.

My fave is driving on the lake!
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 06:59 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Partner's 14 ft shuttleboard for pitchers of beer.

heh heh heh -
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 09:40 PM   #52
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well, while all of you are having to take a trip down "memory-lane" to come up with these -

Just the other day my daughter told me she needed to deliver her girl scout cookies around the neighborhood - I told her I'd go with her - so while she's inside brushing hair, putting shoes on, & whatever else - I'm outside hooking the garden wagon to the riding lawnmower & loading the cookie boxes up - my daughter came out and gave me a "look" that instantly let me know what a "redneck" I apparently am -

(we ended up taking the cookies in around in the minivan)

(While waiting for daughter, I also found time to cut down two fair-size trees after sharpening the chains (with my cool new Dremel tool attachment) on two of my three saws - & I live in town!!)
Old 03-03-2008, 11:09 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

My family lived a double life for years. My parents were white collar professionals working and living all week in a big city. Nice condo, nice cars, nice schools for us kids, nice clothes... But on the weekends and in the summers we used to leave the city and drive to our second home in the mountains and there we turned into a redneck family. We traded the family car for a tractor, the condo for the "farmhouse", the marble bathroom for an outhouse and a tub in the backyard (yep, we used to shower outside, there was no running water in the house). Later on, when my parents became too old to "enjoy" using the outhouse, they installed a proper kitchen and bathrooms in the farmhouse but to this day the redneck lifestyle reigns supreme when they spend time in the mountains. During the week, my dad, a VP in a multinational company wears suits, ties and expensive watches but on the weekend, it's more like blue overalls covered with oil stains and rubber boots. He's pretty scary-looking actually! I must still have a bit of redneck in me... We now live in Alabama and love it!
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:39 AM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Redneck huh Oh boy where do I start... I grew up on a farm so...

If you ever played ice hocky with a frozen cow pie for a puck (done it)

Talked a girl up into the hay loft because you had to "tell" her something (pleading the 5th)

Gone Snipe hunting (yep)

Mended a barbed wire fence with bailer twine (many times)

Been kicked by a cow (more times then I care to recall)

Helped "Pull" a calf (ewww and yep several)

I still bale hay so I am not going to say that one... come to think of it I still do 'most' of these things...
nnkrealtor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:45 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

does moo-ing at the cows down the road at the local dairy farm count?
Old 03-04-2008, 07:29 AM   #56
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
My family lived a double life for years. My parents were white collar professionals working and living all week in a big city. Nice condo, nice cars, nice schools for us kids, nice clothes... But on the weekends and in the summers we used to leave the city and drive to our second home in the mountains and there we turned into a redneck family. We traded the family car for a tractor, the condo for the "farmhouse", the marble bathroom for an outhouse and a tub in the backyard (yep, we used to shower outside, there was no running water in the house). Later on, when my parents became too old to "enjoy" using the outhouse, they installed a proper kitchen and bathrooms in the farmhouse but to this day the redneck lifestyle reigns supreme when they spend time in the mountains. During the week, my dad, a VP in a multinational company wears suits, ties and expensive watches but on the weekend, it's more like blue overalls covered with oil stains and rubber boots. He's pretty scary-looking actually! I must still have a bit of redneck in me... We now live in Alabama and love it!
I think age is key to enjoying some of these things. Now that I'm older and creaky, the 'pioneer life' holds no allure.

Hunting and gathering and living off the land can't hold a candle to clean sheets and a hot shower.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:30 AM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Hunting and gathering and living off the land can't hold a candle to clean sheets and a hot shower.
That's for sure! I got a new water heater installed last Wednesday. After a week of very cold sponge baths before work, I really appreciate being able to take long, hot showers once again in my own home. One of the greatest advances of civilization is hot and cold running water.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:18 AM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

My grandma was a city girl but I remember her at her country summer home, making lye soap and using a wringer washer, and of course hanging the the clothes outside to dry. Maybe "redneck" is more old-fashioned than rural; grandma kept chickens in the city backyard in the early days.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 12:57 PM   #59
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I had no idea I am such a redneck!

1. High school: Whirling empty beer/wine cooler bottles across the frozen river...makes a cool sound.
2. 4-wheelin' in big ol 4x4 (primer grey, roll bar, 38" tires, lift kit, the whole 9 yards) out by Craney Island, VA.
3. Assorted farm stories (reciting speeches to cows & sheep - great captive audience BTW, hay baler catching entire fields on fire, collecting & playing with lamb tails after finding them in fields post-banding, cutting calves - aka turning them into steers, chased (and haunted!) by geese, plucking chickens, flinging cow patties at other kids, pulling calves (once in pieces using a garotte), performing CPR on a near stillborn lamb - then bottlefeeding for couple mos & having lamb run over by UPS truck in driveway, building a balance beam from a 4x4, covering with wool blankets & then practicing gymnastics in barn)
4. Swerving cars on roads to run over rats (problems for the rice farmers)
5. Eating (and liking) squirrel stew (compliments of my fellow redneck sailors)
6. Have "fooled" around in barn, back of pick up with cover, in an orchard, and last but not least, back seat of a...Trans-AM (or was it a camaro?)!
7. Dated several guys who wore "John Deere" ball caps
8. Tried to raise a mouse from the kitchen cupboards as a pet (Mom did not think that was cool.)
Old 03-04-2008, 02:53 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Once I had to yell at a guy not to throw things into a community dumpster cuz my Dad was in there.
Every saturday morning my Dad would take us kids to the dump to search for "treasures". We always took home more than we left. When my Dad died and we had to get rid of his treasures, they filled up a giant dumpster.
A new car for my Pop was always a minimum ten years old.
I still get a large part of my stuff at garage sales.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote