Paroled for good behaviour

LeatherneckPA

Recycles dryer sheets
Woooooohooooooo!!!
I pulled the plug today!

I went in at 800am this morning. Traded my credentials for a new set that say RETIRED on them. They had a little flag raising ceremony for me, complete with Honor Guard. The Warden read off a brief synopsis of my career, the seven joints I've worked, and the posts I've held at each. Then I had to go get a bunch of signatures from people saying I didn't have any of their equipment and didn't owe them any money. There was a little party for me in the LTs office.

The LTs and Captain gave me a gold pocket watch. There was a brass desk clock from the Central Office in DC, a wall plaque from the Director of the BOP, certificates from the Director and the Regional Director, my 25 years of gov't service certificate, and the "coal cart" plaque which is unique to FCI Schuylkill.

Then we went back out front for the flag lowering at 11am. The honor guard folded the flag, placed it in it's cherry tri-fold case, and presented it to me. The honor guard is not a normal touch, but happened because it was made up of officers who worked for me and they insisted on folding it themselves. It was nice to know I was that highly regarded by my officers.

I shook lots of hands, looked out over the compound one last time, then saddled up and rode away.

Congrats! Must be a great feeling to put a cap on the career.

Congrats ! My Dad had one of those coal plaques . He was in the Pa. state police as a Sergeant for many years .

Congrats. CSRS or FERS?

I've only got 10 more years until I'm eligible. Hopefully they won't change the retirement plans and health plans before then!

Awesome news! Now you can spend even more time with the chickens! What a great day for you and it sure seems like you will be missed by your co-workers. Now you can start celebrating the rest of your life.

Congratulations!!!!

How exciting to be moving on to new, uncharted territory - FIRE!

A hearty congratulations. It's nice to go out on a good note, and, like funerals, these ceremonies help bring closure. My guess is that in a year or so, unless you frequently drive by the prison, you'll think of the place very infrequently.

Congratulations!
But just as a reminder, the inmates frequently try to take over the asylum here... your expertise may be required.
All the Best.

Congratulations, Mike!!! Welcome to the Real Life!!! Enjoy!!!

Now your life is like this Calvin & Hobbes strip:

Attachments

• Calvin-n-Hobbes_last-strip1.jpg
    Calvin-n-Hobbes_last-strip1.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 23
Congratulations. Thanks for letting us inmates know that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Thank you, one and all. From what I understand, the inmates threw a party the day after I started burning up my leave.

And none too soon either. They tried to integrate a new faction on the compound yesterday afternoon, after I had left. They didn't last five minutes. 15 inmates involved, all with assorted injuries. A couple of staff sustained minor injuries. Nope, won't miss it at all.

samclem, no worries there. The joint is a 70 mile drive from my house and I honestly can't see myself ever driving past there again.

Gworker, I wouldn't worry about that too much. Even if they change it, you'll most likely get "grandfathered" and stay in FERS. Oh, and I am FERS as well. I was the first FERS employee hired at my starting institution, and the last Correctional Officer hired by soon-to-be Director Mike Quinlan.

Congrats Mike, a j*b well done.

Did they cut the ball and chain off your leg, or is that a DIY problem? Hope you have a hacksaw. :D

Congratulations and Best Wishes! Get out and enjoy nature each day now. It is grand!

The LTs and Captain gave me a gold pocket watch. There was a brass desk clock from the Central Office in DC, a wall plaque from the Director of the BOP, certificates from the Director and the Regional Director, my 25 years of gov't service certificate, and the "coal cart" plaque which is unique to FCI Schuylkill.

look at all the cool stuff you got. damn, all i got was lunch. good for you. enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom