Join Early Retirement Today

Part time work
Old 02-20-2007, 10:05 AM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Part time work

Everyone talks about the possibility of part time work in retirement but are there really decent paying part time jobs available for most people in their fields ?
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Part time work
Old 02-20-2007, 10:12 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg
Everyone talks about the possibility of part time work in retirement but are there really decent paying part time jobs available for most people in their fields ?
There's a penalty to pay for being part-time in my area, but it may be a blessing in disguise. In return for working solely to meet some specific need for service, you get to not participate in a dozen committees, make decisions that hurt people, and stay late just because that's the culture.

Then again, a little income goes a long way in FIRE as ESRBob has pointed out. I'm looking forward to part-time.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 10:18 AM   #3

In my field, you actually get paid more for being part-time (and especially if per diem) because you don't get any bennies.

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:51 PM   #4
Gone but not forgotten

In my field, you actually get paid more for being part-time (and especially if per diem) because you don't get any bennies.

You must be a nurse !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg

You must be a nurse !
Physical therapist

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:19 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I worked for the Fed Gov and the job that I had, does not really translate into private industry. If I work part-time, it will not pay well.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:30 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hmm - memory is foggy but:

20% more per hour plus -nod nod wink wink - 2-4 hrs per day plus Saturday at time and a half overtime rate.

aerospace jobshopper - mid 1990's. A tad over one year in total.

Hindsight says one year of that and the 90's market really helped my nest egg.

AND and that was before ESR Bob wrote his book. So I can testify he got that part right.

heh heh heh
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 07:30 PM   #8
gone traveling

I am substitute teaching at about 100 dollars a day. No lesson plans no meetings, work only when I feel like it.

Priceless.
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 08:01 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888
I am substitute teaching at about 100 dollars a day. No lesson plans no meetings, work only when I feel like it.

Priceless.
I teach flying as an independent CFI. I make pretty good money (when I work), but it's mostly for fun and only when I want! Also priceless.

lowflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 11:46 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I managed to be a part time lawyer in a law firm for two years. I narrowed down the type of work and limited my clients. It worked pretty good and the money was fine. What I found was that I enjoyed my time off so much that I lost my enjoyment for work. Even though I was part time I still needed to be accessible in case of emergency or to talk about problem issues.

I retired the first of the year. A couple of weeks ago the successor to part of my work (that was very specialized) up and quit for greener pastures in the big city. A much less experienced guy is now doing that work. At my firm's request I have gone in a few times to meet with him and he emails me questions and problems. I also have had to talk to clients in that area a few times. I am getting about $150 an hour to do this, so I can hardly bitch. But nevertheless, I will be glad not to have to help anymore.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 12:56 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm planning to do tax preparation for H&R Block during my first years of retirement...I've been moonlighting at this for the past 5 years. This type of work can be part time or full time, but always SEASONAL.

Don't plan to get rich...H&R Block has a commission-based pay model. Fast, experienced preparers can make $15-20 / hour.
Red-y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 06:42 PM   #12

I have a pt gig. Pays about $19/hr and I telecommute. It's boring but I often watch TV or listen to music while working.
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 06:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-y
I'm planning to do tax preparation for H&R Block during my first years of retirement...I've been moonlighting at this for the past 5 years. This type of work can be part time or full time, but always SEASONAL.

Don't plan to get rich...H&R Block has a commission-based pay model. Fast, experienced preparers can make $15-20 / hour.
I have a "retired" neighbor that does this. He is really busy during prime tax season and audit season. The rest of the year he travels and sluffs. Once in awhile he takes a class to keep him current for changes to the tax law.

For him it seems to work well. I don't think he really needs the money. He just wanted something to do to keep active.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 08:08 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I've been thinking about this "part time work" concept. Let's see, I used to hold my right hand in a fire all week, every week and I called that full time work. Now I never hold my hand in a fire and I call that FIRE. Do I want to change that and hold my hand in a fire part time and call that "part time work?" Hmmmmm........ I guess not.

I'm very employable part time. But, sheeeesh..... why the heck would I do that? I don't miss the pain.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:16 PM   #15
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan

Before retiring, I entertained the idea of part time work to add to my Roth.

Now I would never disturb my silence and solitude.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:30 PM   #16
Dryer sheet aficionado

As a contract technical trainer I make about $400 (after expenses and taxes) per day, working three - five days per week depending on the course.

The real beauty of it is whenever I want to go somewhere (like when I went to visit friends)...I just find a training 'gig' in the area.

My last trip was back home to Nebraska. I spent the last two weeks of November in Iowa and Nebraska visiting old friends and made about $2000 'take home' 8)

Old 02-21-2007, 10:38 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog

My last trip was back home to Nebraska. I spent the last two weeks of November in Iowa and Nebraska visiting old friends and made about $2000 'take home' 8)
Cool. Hope all this working eventually leads you to FIRE!
Old 02-22-2007, 09:11 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe
I have a pt gig. Pays about $19/hr and I telecommute. It's boring but I often watch TV or listen to music while working.
OK, I'll bite. What is your part time gig?