Part time work

Moemg

Gone but not forgotten
Everyone talks about the possibility of part time work in retirement but are there really decent paying part time jobs available for most people in their fields ?

Moemg said:
Everyone talks about the possibility of part time work in retirement but are there really decent paying part time jobs available for most people in their fields ?

There's a penalty to pay for being part-time in my area, but it may be a blessing in disguise. In return for working solely to meet some specific need for service, you get to not participate in a dozen committees, make decisions that hurt people, and stay late just because that's the culture.

Then again, a little income goes a long way in FIRE as ESRBob has pointed out. I'm looking forward to part-time.

In my field, you actually get paid more for being part-time (and especially if per diem) because you don't get any bennies.

In my field, you actually get paid more for being part-time (and especially if per diem) because you don't get any bennies.

You must be a nurse !

Moemg said:

You must be a nurse !

Physical therapist :)

I worked for the Fed Gov and the job that I had, does not really translate into private industry. If I work part-time, it will not pay well.

Hmm - memory is foggy but:

20% more per hour plus -nod nod wink wink - 2-4 hrs per day plus Saturday at time and a half overtime rate.

aerospace jobshopper - mid 1990's. A tad over one year in total.

Hindsight says one year of that and the 90's market really helped my nest egg.

AND and that was before ESR Bob wrote his book. So I can testify he got that part right.

heh heh heh

I am substitute teaching at about 100 dollars a day. No lesson plans no meetings, work only when I feel like it.

Priceless.

newguy888 said:
I am substitute teaching at about 100 dollars a day. No lesson plans no meetings, work only when I feel like it.

Priceless.

I teach flying as an independent CFI. I make pretty good money (when I work), but it's mostly for fun and only when I want! Also priceless. :D

I managed to be a part time lawyer in a law firm for two years. I narrowed down the type of work and limited my clients. It worked pretty good and the money was fine. What I found was that I enjoyed my time off so much that I lost my enjoyment for work. Even though I was part time I still needed to be accessible in case of emergency or to talk about problem issues.

I retired the first of the year. A couple of weeks ago the successor to part of my work (that was very specialized) up and quit for greener pastures in the big city. A much less experienced guy is now doing that work. At my firm's request I have gone in a few times to meet with him and he emails me questions and problems. I also have had to talk to clients in that area a few times. I am getting about $150 an hour to do this, so I can hardly bitch. But nevertheless, I will be glad not to have to help anymore.

I'm planning to do tax preparation for H&R Block during my first years of retirement...I've been moonlighting at this for the past 5 years. This type of work can be part time or full time, but always SEASONAL.

Don't plan to get rich...H&R Block has a commission-based pay model. Fast, experienced preparers can make $15-20 / hour.

I have a pt gig. Pays about $19/hr and I telecommute. It's boring but I often watch TV or listen to music while working. :D

Red-y said:
I'm planning to do tax preparation for H&R Block during my first years of retirement...I've been moonlighting at this for the past 5 years. This type of work can be part time or full time, but always SEASONAL.

Don't plan to get rich...H&R Block has a commission-based pay model. Fast, experienced preparers can make $15-20 / hour.

I have a "retired" neighbor that does this. He is really busy during prime tax season and audit season. The rest of the year he travels and sluffs. Once in awhile he takes a class to keep him current for changes to the tax law.

For him it seems to work well. I don't think he really needs the money. He just wanted something to do to keep active.

I've been thinking about this "part time work" concept. Let's see, I used to hold my right hand in a fire all week, every week and I called that full time work. Now I never hold my hand in a fire and I call that FIRE. Do I want to change that and hold my hand in a fire part time and call that "part time work?" Hmmmmm........ I guess not.

I'm very employable part time. But, sheeeesh..... why the heck would I do that? I don't miss the pain.

Before retiring, I entertained the idea of part time work to add to my Roth.

Now I would never disturb my silence and solitude.

As a contract technical trainer I make about $400 (after expenses and taxes) per day, working three - five days per week depending on the course.

The real beauty of it is whenever I want to go somewhere (like when I went to visit friends)...I just find a training 'gig' in the area.

My last trip was back home to Nebraska. I spent the last two weeks of November in Iowa and Nebraska visiting old friends and made about $2000 'take home' 8)

Warthog said:
My last trip was back home to Nebraska. I spent the last two weeks of November in Iowa and Nebraska visiting old friends and made about $2000 'take home' 8)

Cool. Hope all this working eventually leads you to FIRE! ;)

Oldbabe said:
I have a pt gig. Pays about $19/hr and I telecommute. It's boring but I often watch TV or listen to music while working. :D

OK, I'll bite. What is your part time gig?

Back
Top Bottom