Join Early Retirement Today

Paso Robles
Old 10-08-2007, 08:18 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Paso Robles

OK, you left-coasters: we've heard great things about the Paso Robles-Atascadero area of the central coast of California.

Anyone know enough about it as a place to live/FIRE to? It would be some 2-3 hours from where one set of kids lives (this week, at least). Looks mighty fine on the web, and not insanely priced.

What's the real scoop?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2007, 10:58 PM   #2
Administrator

I've driven through. They were having an earthquake at the time so my impression may be somewhat tainted, but it was really pretty.

Old 10-09-2007, 12:52 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
OK, you left-coasters: we've heard great things about the Paso Robles-Atascadero area of the central coast of California.

Anyone know enough about it as a place to live/FIRE to? It would be some 2-3 hours from where one set of kids lives (this week, at least). Looks mighty fine on the web, and not insanely priced.

What's the real scoop?
it's nice. good weather. san luis obispo (college town) is nearby so you are
not completely devoid of civilization. i'm not up on the housing prices tho..
personally i'd go for san luis obispo proper though if housing prices are similar.
you might want to check places like oceano and avila beach also..
Old 10-09-2007, 01:11 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Paso has undergone quite a transformation in the last ten years or so. Not long ago it was a fairly sleepy cowboy town. Then came the wine boom and along with it development of thousands of acres of vineyards. Young winemakers came next and before you know it Paso Robles became somewhat chic. The dining scene was once dominated by Santa Maria style bbq and the like. You can still get good bbq but there are now some really good places to eat in town. Check out Bistro Laurent, Artisan, Villa Creek and others. Botique hotels and spas are opening.

The area has a lot going for it. Refugees from the Bay Area and LA have been attracted by the laid back lifestyle and sunny, dry weather. It gets hot on summer days, often above 100 but it cools down quickly after sundown and can get down into the 50s.

Pluses: Warm, dry sunny weather most of the time; surrounded by wine country; charming square in the middle of town; good dining for a small town; scenic coastline just over the hill; coastal hills keep fog away (unlike in San Luis Obispo down the road); access to major urban areas when you need a city fix; friendly.

Minuses: A little isolated if you're used to a metro area; housing is not a bargain; increased tourism creates traffic snarls on occasion.

I like Paso a lot and could live there.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:15 AM   #5

What mh said.

I have thought that San Luis Obispo, Pismo Beach or Morro Bay would all be great places to retire. A couple of people that I know that went to college in SLO would love to move back.

I suspect that Paso Robles real estate is less expensive than the above. Paso Robles seems nice enough, I don't really hear that much about it. Just another one of those small-to-mid size towns. Maybe that is a good thing?

I think that Paso Robles has more of an agriculture/ranching base whereas SLO is a college town and Morro and Pismo are more touristy. (Paso Robles does have a good 10k running race.)

Except for stopping and visiting the zoo once when the kids were small Paso Robles has always been one of those places to drive through to get somewhere else.

MB
Old 10-09-2007, 01:17 AM   #6

Sounds like califdreamer is more up to date on Paso Robles than me,

MB
Old 10-09-2007, 03:02 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It's a beautiful town in a lovely area of the prettiest state in the union. When I was going up and down hiway 101 I often would fantasize about living there.

I figured out that I need a large city, so I crossed it off. Also, if I am going to be paying California taxes, I am going to be living at a beach somewhere between Santa Barbara and San Diego.

Ha