Join Early Retirement Today

Passport Question
Old 03-18-2007, 01:54 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Passport Question

Our daughter has dual citizenship American/Swedish. She needs to renew her passport, and noticed that the current one incorrectly lists her place of birth as Ístersund, Sweden (she was born in Oakland, CA).

Should she tell them of the error and correct it, or just well enough alone??

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Passport Question
Old 03-18-2007, 02:59 PM   #2

I have been trying to get them to correct my place of birth the last two renewals but haven't had any luck.

Besides, Sweden is cooler than Oakland.

Old 03-18-2007, 04:33 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

You don't say which country she is trying to renew!!!

If it is the US... I would try and get if fixed. Why get into some problem in the future when someone asks how did you become a citizen and you say "I was born here stupid" and they take you to the back room and strip search you and keep you there for 24 hours...

Old 03-19-2007, 10:11 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Right -- it's the Swedish one that is in error and she is renewing.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:03 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
Right -- it's the Swedish one that is in error and she is renewing.
Then just leave it as is.... maybe there is some 'law' or something that uses that city. Is it the capital or have some other significance?
Old 03-19-2007, 06:47 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

No, just a regular old little town (where DW's parents live now).
Old 03-19-2007, 09:33 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'd get it fixed. I can imagine some circumstances where having two passports with different birthplaces could cause confusion and trouble. Like maybe she has an encounter with the police in some other country, and they decide that she appears to be travelling on forged documents or something and gets handed over to their terrorism/smuggling/immigration/whatever division.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:38 PM   #8

I agree, get it fixed if possible. Law enforcement is nuts here and most likely nuts in other countries also. :
Old 03-20-2007, 04:04 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

if she needs to travel 'soon' leave it. fix it when you have "time" for bureaucracy.

my opinion only, and honestly, if she was born in uzbekastan, i would advise otherwise.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:02 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Remember guys... her American passport is fine... she can travel on this one only...

I would bet she only needs to use her other passport when she enters THAT country....
Old 03-20-2007, 10:56 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud
Remember guys... her American passport is fine... she can travel on this one only...

I would bet she only needs to use her other passport when she enters THAT country....
Probably, but... I'll admit, if I had the choice, I would not use a US passport in certain parts of the world. Plus, I have heard that, for example, if one visits both Israel and some Arab countries, it is better not to do so on the same passport, if one wants to minimize hassle.

I don't have that choice, holding only a US passport myself, but I would certainly encourage my kid (in a similar situation as TromboneAl's kid) to be careful/flexible in such matters, meaning it might be a good idea to carry both passports even if not traveling to/from/through both countries of citizenship.

Just a thought.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:35 AM   #12

Quote:
depends. Hope she didn't want to go to Cuba.

If she's really brave, she can go to the middle east with the US passport only.

Also, an EU passport would be handy in Europe (think Sweden is in the EU, not positive).

Old 03-22-2007, 03:12 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco
depends. Hope she didn't want to go to Cuba.

If she's really brave, she can go to the middle east with the US passport only.

Also, an EU passport would be handy in Europe (think Sweden is in the EU, not positive).

Yes, but she 'can'....

You can go to Cuba with a US passport.. you have to go to Canada or Mexico to get there (or a few other places... I know of people from the UK that like it).... but, Cuba will not stop you from coming into thier country... it is against US law, but that does not stop you from going...

Same for Middle East... yes, it might be better, I don't know.

For Europe... IMO it would only matter which line at passport control is shorter... I know that in London the non-EU is short and the other is long... but when I was in Germany, the non-EU was the short one.. after you get past there... nobody knows anymore..

yes, traveling on another country passport might be easier, but not required..
Old 03-22-2007, 05:20 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Like your daughter, I am a dual citizen (of Canada and Ireland) and have passports for both. Dual citizenship is a real privilege and anyone who has it should not take it for granted.

Yes, Sweden is part of the European Union. Her Swedish citizenship entitles your daughter to live and work in Sweden or any EU country. These days, one should not assume that a US passport will be universally welcomed (thank Dubya).

Another potential advantage (think really long term) is that Sweden's health care system is probably the best in the world despite being significantly less costly than that in the US. ($2800 spent per person per annum in Sweden versus $4000 in the US). The health quality experts are now turning to Sweden as the benchmark country. Think of the potential for RE......

This was a clerical error. Presumably your daughter is entitled to Swedish citizenship on the basis of her mother's Swedish birth, which is not in question. Therefore it should not be too difficult to sort out. Ask your DW to get birth certificates for herself and for your daughter and to talk to someone at the Swedish embassy or consulate.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:34 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh
Like your daughter, I am a dual citizen (of Canada and Ireland) and have passports for both. Dual citizenship is a real privilege and anyone who has it should not take it for granted.
I qualify for Irish citizenship since all of my grandparents came over from Ireland in the diaspora. It is a bit of a hassle gathering all of the documents so I haven't gotten around to it. What do you see as the primary benefits? I have no desire to work overseas - or here, for that matter.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:37 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff
I qualify for Irish citizenship since all of my grandparents came over from Ireland in the diaspora. It is a bit of a hassle gathering all of the documents so I haven't gotten around to it. What do you see as the primary benefits? I have no desire to work overseas - or here, for that matter.
dh, here is the How. The Why is really a value judgment that you have to make. Having Irish citizenship does not confer any financial benefits on you. If you are considering retiring there, be aware that your costs of living would probably rise significantly. Twenty years ago would have been a very different matter. While there have been enormous improvements, infrastructure and services are not as consistent as in the US. If you have no particular attachment to the country, but might just want to visit from time to time, there is no particular advantage in going to the trouble of becoming a citizen. Ireland is a very US-friendly country.

If you were Generation Y with your career ahead of you, applying for citizenship would be a great idea. For example, I have some friends in that situation who have worked in Europe for a year or so prior to or during university studies, courtesy of their Irish citizenship.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:45 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I would think that the Irish passport would be good in that you could use it to live in the whole of the EU (if I am not mistaken)... with a US one, I don't think you can move and live in any country (but am probably mistaken on this...)...

To me, if you can get it done I would do it...
Old 03-23-2007, 08:48 PM   #18

Quote:

You can go to Cuba with a US passport.. you have to go to Canada or Mexico to get there (or a few other places... I know of people from the UK that like it).... but, Cuba will not stop you from coming into thier country... it is against US law, but that does not stop you from going...
interesting take. You can do it, it's just illegal. Last time I checked, that logic applies to murder as well.

If you are a US citizen and you smoke a Cuban cigar in another country, the US maintains they can arrest you. The long arm of Yankee law....it's so good, it applies everywhere!!! Especially Yankee laws that relate to Cuba, for some strange reason. So I wouldn't want a Cuban stamp on my US passport. I'd be afraid that they'd decide that Guantanamo was good enough.

Or maybe Cuba will not stamp it upon request. Back in the 70s, Israel would give you inserts that could be torn out so, since if you had an Israeli stamp in your passport, many other countries wouldn't let you enter.

for an interesting Canadian perspective on the topic of US-Cuba relations, read

http://www.ianchadwick.com/essays/cuba.html

Old 03-23-2007, 09:32 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco
interesting take. You can do it, it's just illegal. Last time I checked, that logic applies to murder as well.
Hmmmm... speeding is illegal, but I would not relate it to murder... both are illegal... most of us speed, very very few murder.

They do not stamp... I know of someone who went... yes, it is against the law, but nobody really does anything (or at least they didn't do anything.. .who knows with our great homland security)....
Old 03-24-2007, 10:36 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I have a colleague who visits Cuba annually and does community work. She tells me that there is a movement in Cuba in favour of joining the US after Castro dies. I can't imagine why a nation would want to join forces with its oppressor.