Join Early Retirement Today

Password Manager SW
Old 08-22-2012, 11:10 AM   #1
Administrator

Password Manager SW

Lost my password manager the other day (RoboformToGo). It was on a flash drive that failed. What a PITA. My last backup was in January but can't find it. Sigh. Siber Systems (RoboForm owner) no longer has available the version I used so it can only be replaced with a new $$ version.

Anyway, I'm looking at new password managers and wonder what others are using. RoboForm and LastPass seem to be quite popular. I don't use them for access to critical financial accounts, but do use them for everything else, and with so many web sites requiring registration I'm willing to pay a couple of bucks for something decent.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2012, 11:42 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I use MyPadlock. It's only a 1.0 version and doesn't appear the developers are adding to it. But that for the most part meets my requirements.

I used to use Anypassword (free) which great. But the version I was using did not support Win 7 (I had temporarily moved from XP to Win 7 Starter). There is a pro version (not free) that works with Win 7 but that seemed to me to just add features I really don't need. That was when I found MyPadlock.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:05 PM   #3
Administrator

I just use a password protected spreadsheet, and the spreadsheet hold hints at the passwords to jog my memory.

When my memory goes, I'm screwed.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:11 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I just use a password protected spreadsheet, and the spreadsheet hold hints at the passwords to jog my memory.

When my memory goes, I'm screwed.
+1 But then, when our memory goes I suppose we probably won't be far behind.

In addition to the safeties you mention, in my case there is an absolutely gigantic quantity of other unrelated info in that particular spreadsheet. Anybody looking for the passwords would have a terribly hard time finding them even if the spreadsheet itself were not password protected.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:21 PM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
+1 But then, when our memory goes I suppose we probably won't be far behind.
That's what I figure as well

Quote:
In addition to the safeties you mention, in my case there is an absolutely gigantic quantity of other unrelated info in that particular spreadsheet. Anybody looking for the passwords would have a terribly hard time finding them even if the spreadsheet itself were not password protected.
+1

Have we ever met?
Old 08-22-2012, 12:22 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I use a spreadsheet for most of mine (most would just be a nuisance if lost), on my HD and backed up on an external HD. For the sensitive ones I generate 5 "strong" randomized passwords for each site and change every 6 months, print and hide the hard copy. Only have to print every 2-1/2 years, no file saved anywhere. No way a hacker or a burglar would ever get at them...so my approach is relatively primitive. Would I be better off with a password manager?

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:30 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I use the new RoboForm. In theory, besides saving the passwords, it should stop you from being phished since it would not present you with the passwords at a different site (since it doesn't care that it looks the same). I discovered this when my city changed water bill payment sites and the information didn't come up.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:31 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
That's what I figure as well

+1

Have we ever met?
Well, do you run the place where the password is used and password hint together, to make one word out of it? If so, then we were probably twins separated at birth.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:35 PM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
Well, do you run the place where the password is used and password hint together, to make one word out of it? If so, then we were probably twins separated at birth.
This is where we differ, so we probably don't need to bother with a DNA test.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:58 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I also use a spreadsheet. For Example:

Regular = our regular password pretty self explanatary
"R"egular = As above with a Capital "R" = first letter capitalized
"R"egular+1 = As above but with a 1 tacked on the end.

We have 3 password in various shapes and forms. Regular, Financial and PIN.

Pretty easy really.

SWR
Old 08-22-2012, 01:24 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I use Roboform Everywhere and was a previous user of the desktop and 2 go versions. I have no problems with the current version.

I have tried lastpass also but it has been a while. It has been in my mind to go back and try it again (the price is right).

I have too many pw's to remember these programs really help me!
Old 08-22-2012, 01:54 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for posting this - I am a little afraid of getting 'fancy' with passwords, and this is some validation.

I've been cleaning up my act lately - for all those various sites that require a password, but I really just am not concerned about hacking, I just use the same pw for all. I chose one with 8 char, upper and lower case, and some numbers. That seems to satisfy those accounts. EZ to remember - something like:

AWwiCHi1776 - Anyone Who wants it Can Have it 1776

I have not cleaned up my more important ones, but I plan on something simple. A strong PW combined with a 'key word' I would know, but not write down the key. Like pfIgTT4aYsbCLOCK, but "CLOCK" would not be written down. There would be a key to it somewhere else. I would keep two different pieces of paper, one with the PW one with the site and logon. Get both papers, line them up, and you have it.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:07 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

No way could I get by without a password manager. Some sites require passwords of certain lengths. Others want special characters. Others do not. You get the picture. Not only that, but many sites have challenge questions in case you ever forget a password.

I remember only a few passwords, the rest are randomly generated and kept with the password keeper. The password keeper I use has a random password generator, but doesn't allow me to set the requirements of the password. So, got a good, simple freebie password generator that fits the bill.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:11 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
No way could I get by without a password manager. Some sites require passwords of certain lengths. Others want special characters. Others do not. You get the picture. Not only that, but many sites have challenge questions in case you ever forget a password.
For the challenge questions, a great tip I read (maybe here?) was to answer each with the same non-sense answer.

Where were you born? - Powerdrill
What is your Father's middle name? Powerdrill
What street did you first live on? Powerdrill

I haven't done that yet, but will next time I need to.

As far as the char and numbers, eight char total with Upper, lower case and a few numbers has worked for me on a whole bunch with no exceptions yet.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:16 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

For a "regular" a couple of suggestions -

and OLD childhood telephone number - only YOU remember that it was something like HE1-2345 ... and you will NEVER forget it.

OR an old childhood address - again YOU remember 2315OAK or 23Oak15 if you want to get REALLY good.

Wife's maiden and birth year is also good: Jones1955 or 19Jones55

or do them Da Vinci style... backwards. 5591senoJ

just some ideas.....
Original Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:46 PM   #16

I use Passpack and love it. DH insists on having funky usernames as well as passwords so if I need to get into a site he has set up I am SOL without the password manager. I do not keep my bank password and ID there, but everything else. I also have printed out the list in plain text and put a copy in our safe deposit box along with the id and PW for Passpack itself, my computer login and PW, and the bank info (because although DH also has a bank login, I do all the online bill pay from my account so he can't do it from his account).
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:47 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I use Roboform - the desktop version. I've considered doing the Roboform everywhere but I find I do fine with the desktop version although I may buy a second license.

I do have about a gazillion back ups of it though.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:12 PM   #18
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've used Password Safe for years. Then I use SmartSync Pro to sync the Password Safe database between our different computers so it's pretty much always up to date on each machine.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:31 PM   #19
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

[QUOTE=Midpack;1224527]I use a spreadsheet for most of mine (most would just be a nuisance if lost), on my HD and backed up on an external HD. For the sensitive ones I generate 5 "strong" randomized passwords for each site and change every 6 months, print and hide the hard copy. QUOTE]

Generating 5 "strong" randomized words sounds like a good idea.

Where do you hide the hard copy?
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:34 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I use a spreadsheet for most of mine (most would just be a nuisance if lost), on my HD and backed up on an external HD. For the sensitive ones I generate 5 "strong" randomized passwords for each site and change every 6 months, print and hide the hard copy.
Generating 5 "strong" randomized words sounds like a good idea.

Where do you hide the hard copy?
Nice try...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fr0453.jpg (24.0 KB, 163 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote