Join Early Retirement Today

Password Managers
Old 05-09-2013, 09:16 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Password Managers

Which password manager would you suggest and why?

I am thinking that I need to upgrade the security of my online accounts, particularly stronger password protection. A number of the highly rated manager programs are cloud based. I am just nervous about storing sensitive information in the cloud - mainly I admit due to my own ignorance.

Do you use a system that a moderately technophobic investor could easily adapt to?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2013, 12:56 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I use Roboform. You can use it cloud based but are not required to use it cloud based.

I used to have a single computer license. I now have Roboform Everywhere which is an annual subscription and can be used on many devices. You can sync your data in the cloud but are not required to do so.

Bear in mind that you set up a master password for your password data. No one knows that master password except you. Then if you want to sync to the cloud you have another password for the cloud. Even if someone got that password, they would not have your master password (assuming you are smart enough to make the cloud password different from the master password)

RoboForm Everywhere: Security

This is an interesting interview about security:

What LastPass security issue means for RoboForm (Q&A) | Security & Privacy - CNET News
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:45 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I like keepass. I initially chose it because it's free. It has the option to put the database in my dropbox account and there's an iphone app as well. This means I have access to my passwords on my home PC, my iPad, my iPhone and my wife's iPhone. The database is encrypted and access is via a master password, the presence of a master file on the device (which could be a picture of your dog, say) or a windows log-in on the PC. Or, any combination of the three methods.

Once I started really populating the database over a period of six months I realized just how many darn passwords there are in modern life. And now they are all different and randomly generated.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:08 AM   #4

I use LastPass. It's easy to use, and there's a version for our Windows Phones.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:30 AM   #5

I use Keeper. It can be used cloud-based (fee) or not (free), is simple, and is accessed via a master password.
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:59 AM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado

+1 for KeePass. I use it with DropBox Support. Also both iOS and Android Apps. Plus it is highly rated and free.
RoccoPacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:33 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
I like keepass. I initially chose it because it's free. It has the option to put the database in my dropbox account and there's an iphone app as well. This means I have access to my passwords on my home PC, my iPad, my iPhone and my wife's iPhone. The database is encrypted and access is via a master password, the presence of a master file on the device (which could be a picture of your dog, say) or a windows log-in on the PC. Or, any combination of the three methods.

Once I started really populating the database over a period of six months I realized just how many darn passwords there are in modern life. And now they are all different and randomly generated.
This. Keepass is great. Keepass with Dropbox is greater.
bltkmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:54 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

i use password safe. been using it for several years now - never an issue
jwkde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:31 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Lastpass. Nice because I can use it across different computers and also on the Ipad.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:19 AM   #10

PasswordSafe - I put the database in DropBox and then have access from the PasswordSafe Android app.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:38 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Nice info - I've just been storing all of my passwords in an excel file - downloaded keepass. Probably a good thing to start using so I can get more variety in the passwords I use.
Fishingmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:53 AM   #12

+1 for Keepass. It is fairly easy to use and has been a big help. You must not forget the log-in password which I think is true for all of these programs.
savory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:09 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Another +1 for Keepass
hsv_climber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:48 AM   #14

+1 for lastpass. It also supports multi-factor authentication using yubikey or a usb drive and one-time passwords. Also includes a pretty good form-filling feature.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:54 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Roboform. Have used it for years.
Sniggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:15 PM   #16

I use Norton 360 which has a password vault along with the normal virus protection stuff.
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:16 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

+1 for Lastpass. Seems to work well. I do find that it auto filling for Vanguard and Fidelity seems to not operate properly, but for most other things it works well. As Galaxyboy commented, it is amazing how many passwords are needed.
SoReady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:19 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

+1 for Roboform. Used it for years.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:23 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoReady View Post
+1 for Lastpass. Seems to work well. I do find that it auto filling for Vanguard and Fidelity seems to not operate properly, but for most other things it works well.
All form-filler software will have such difficulties, as different websites will continually introduce new ways of blocking their own users from using convenience devices (in an attempt to block them from inadvertently making such conveniences available to those who may steal their laptops, for example).

For Vanguard, auto fill-in works for me. For Fidelity, it is important - again, to use auto fill-in instead of auto login - but also you need to deliberately click out of the user name field so that Fidelity's client-side code can partially obscure your user name (replacing part of it with stars). Only then press the login button, and it works fine.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:25 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks. i will try that. And your right it is the auto logon that isn't working for me.
SoReady is offline   Reply With Quote