Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-13-2016, 07:28 PM   #41

I use the premium version of Lastpass. It is very important to me that I can access stuff through their app on my phone when traveling. I also have gone to using their generated passwords for most sites, as they are way better than the ones I have used in the past.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2016, 08:04 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonat View Post
Open source has no correlation to security.
I believe you state this as a fact, which most certainly it is not.

We agree to disagree. Granted this is more a philosophical approach to the problem but with respect to open source and transparency in general, many believe it brings over time, a better solution. There are more people interested in getting a bullet proof solution to security than there are those who want to break it. It's my belief that the more the details of security are hidden behind a curtain the more people are interested in looking behind it. There have been multiple papers written that bolster this approach

If the strongest element of a security solution is secrecy, it's in trouble.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:21 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Lastpass. Prior to that I used e-wallet and still have some things there. I have used Lastpass for about 18 months and have been happy with it.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:36 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I use the premium version of Lastpass. It is very important to me that I can access stuff through their app on my phone when traveling. I also have gone to using their generated passwords for most sites, as they are way better than the ones I have used in the past.
Hi Sarah,
Is there something about the premium version of Lastpass that helps out while traveling? I have been using the free version for about a year now.

Thanks
-gauss
Old 09-14-2016, 12:04 AM   #45
Dryer sheet aficionado

I think LogMeIn overpaid for LastPass, and I don't trust their future plans to earn it back:
"On October 9, 2015, LastPass was acquired by LogMeIn, Inc. for $125 million"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LastPass#Overview

As to LastPass premium, the $12/yr enables the Premium account to share passwords with other accounts. So you can setup a password for a joint bank account, and share it with your significant other. If you both have the free version, you can't do that.

Both LastPass and KeePass can automatically fill in username & passwords for websites if you let them. That's really convenient. I tend to exit my browser and restart it later, so KeePass suits me better since it keeps running and doesn't require me to login again. I also get very nervous when LastPass had connection issues - denial of service means denial of service everywhere.
Old 09-14-2016, 05:44 AM   #46

Gauss, the premium version has full access through the phone app. It is $12 per year, so I figured that made it worthwhile.

Old 09-14-2016, 05:55 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Gauss, the premium version has full access through the phone app. It is $12 per year, so I figured that made it worthwhile.
That, and it updates all versions on all platforms whenever any change is made. That is very convenient for people with multiple devices on different platforms (iPhone, iPad, laptop).
Old 09-14-2016, 06:30 AM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
When using Apple phones and computers you can use the integrated Keychain. It's shared across your iPhone, iPad, and macintosh computers. And it's free once you own the devices.

I use if for almost all my passwords and it works virtually flawlessly.

I do keep my most important accounts (where I keep my largest balances) committed to memory - not stored on the computer, not written down. It's only a couple, so it's doable.
DH uses keychain for everything.

I use keychain for less sensitive passwords, and my own password protected files on an encrypted and password protected virtual drive (disk image) for the sensitive passwords (financial institutions and govt. agencies).
Old 09-14-2016, 08:20 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
That, and it updates all versions on all platforms whenever any change is made. That is very convenient for people with multiple devices on different platforms (iPhone, iPad, laptop).
That, too. One cool thing it did was when Dropbox had that password scare recently, when I went to change the passwords on a couple of old Dropbox accounts, it did it automatically, with "one button" resets. Very easy and painless.

Old 09-14-2016, 08:29 AM   #50
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Just to be clear, are you talking about updating the LastPass software itself?

I have been under the assumption that the actual "user content" ie passwords etc. stored in LastPass were stored "in the cloud "and would be automatically available between devices on the free version. If I am mistaken about this, this would be very good to know.

I mainly use Lastpass on my laptop but expect to be able to access it via phone (web access) or whatever if I am on the road in a pinch.

Thanks!
Old 09-14-2016, 09:34 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBug View Post
I believe you state this as a fact, which most certainly it is not.

We agree to disagree. Granted this is more a philosophical approach to the problem but with respect to open source and transparency in general, many believe it brings over time, a better solution. There are more people interested in getting a bullet proof solution to security than there are those who want to break it. It's my belief that the more the details of security are hidden behind a curtain the more people are interested in looking behind it. There have been multiple papers written that bolster this approach

If the strongest element of a security solution is secrecy, it's in trouble.
I understand your perspective but you misrepresent mine. Secrecy has nothing to do with it; the notion that "open source is better because lots of people are looking at the code" has been proven false time after time. A lot of the open source software that is used in critical applications is written or maintained by a very small number of part-time developers, with changes made by often unknown coders over time.

There have also been many instances of miscreants surreptitiously modifying repositories of popular open-source software, inserting backdoors and other malware. Nobody is checking this once it gets out there.

But my main point is that you don't know that the application you installed is actually derived from the open source code that you could look at (if you were motivated to do so.) You simply trust that whoever packaged it did so using the published source code and, furthermore, did so using uncompromised tools. And if you trust them, why not trust the closed-source developer as well?

I use a lot of open-source software - most of it is very good. But I am under no delusions that it is better just because it is "open source".
Old 09-14-2016, 10:06 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
Just to be clear, are you talking about updating the LastPass software itself?

I have been under the assumption that the actual "user content" ie passwords etc. stored in LastPass were stored "in the cloud "and would be automatically available between devices on the free version. If I am mistaken about this, this would be very good to know.

I mainly use Lastpass on my laptop but expect to be able to access it via phone (web access) or whatever if I am on the road in a pinch.

Thanks!
Sorry, I created some confusion by not using the proper terminology (CDS - coffee deprivation syndrome).

The premium version automatically syncs the passcode entries across all devices and browser windows. I have 2 on the desktop (Chrome & Mozilla), 2 iPhones (old and new) and 1 iPad and use them all regularly, so the auto-sync is a valuable feature.