Join Early Retirement Today

password safety
Old 09-09-2016, 05:01 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

password safety

I was wondering how most folks here store there passwords for all the sites used. I have a paper tablet where I physically write down passwords and security phrases for different acccounts. I think there should be some way to save it on my computer and have it password protected. any suggestions? thanks

frank

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2016, 05:17 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

https://1password.com

Easy and safe.

Old 09-09-2016, 05:43 AM   #3

what does it cost after the 6 month free trial?
Old 09-09-2016, 06:07 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

There have been at least 2 discussions on this. I have responded on those threads. You may want to review them. I am confident you will get an answer and be confused at the same time
Old 09-09-2016, 06:10 AM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
I was wondering how most folks here store there passwords for all the sites used. I have a paper tablet where I physically write down passwords and security phrases for different acccounts. I think there should be some way to save it on my computer and have it password protected. any suggestions? thanks

frank
ERD50 explains his appealing method for creating strong passwords that are easy to remember or store on your computer safely:

Those pesky Security Questions...

― N. Gaiman (2002)

W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 06:30 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Many passwords expire every 3-6 months. A trick I do is stick a 4 digit number in the middle of my chosen password. That number is the month and day I changed the password. For example, if I change a password today, I put the number 0909 in the middle of it. That way I am not surprised when it is time to change it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forumle
Wm
Old 09-09-2016, 06:51 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Lastpass
Old 09-09-2016, 06:58 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post

frank
I use password management software with randomly generated passwords and security answers.

If you don't want to go that route but still want to store on your computer, how about storing on a spreadsheet then using encrypting software that encrypts the spreadsheet with a master phrase or password?

I still prefer to use a password manager program. But the encrypted spreadsheet way doesn't seem that different than your paper tablet method.
Old 09-09-2016, 08:19 AM   #9

I finally broke down and have been storing everything in LastPass.

I feel now that having a centralized list of accounts/passwords that could be quickly changed if needed outweighs the risk of using such a system.

I held off for quite some time before doing this.

-gauss
Old 09-09-2016, 08:26 AM   #10

LastPass. I pay $12/year for their premium service. Works great.
Old 09-09-2016, 08:27 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREmenow View Post
Lastpass
+1

I now do not remember any of my passwords. (Except the password to LastPass!!!)
Old 09-09-2016, 08:34 AM   #12

I use LastPass. In addition to storing username and PW, it also has a "secure notes" section to store other access information, like Q&A's to the "secret questions" some websites persist in using.

Access to my LastPass file is a critical component of my "what if" plan. Should I be incapacitated or die, the family member that takes charge will immediately have all the access info he / she needs to immediately take charge of financial matters while things get sorted out.
Old 09-09-2016, 08:48 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I still haven't gotten comfortable with trusting all of my passwords to an online and potentially hackable service like LastPass. I'm probably being somewhat irrational about the risks (kind of like a fear of flying), but I'm comfortable with the system I use and find it to be pretty convenient. I store all my passwords locally in a program called Password Agent Lite, and then I use replication software to keep the program data sync'ed between my desktop and laptop and other devices.
Old 09-09-2016, 08:59 AM   #14

keepass
Old 09-09-2016, 09:12 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
keepass
+1

works on most operating systems and is free, you can put it on a thumb drive to keep it separate from computer and you can make backups easy.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:53 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulak View Post
LastPass. I pay $12/year for their premium service. Works great.
I agree. Will add that if you have a phone with fingerprint reader then it is super easy to get at your info either to (1) look up the login/password, or (2) to inject the login/password into one of your banking apps.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:11 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I agree. Will add that if you have a phone with fingerprint reader then it is super easy to get at your info either to (1) look up the login/password, or (2) to inject the login/password into one of your banking apps.

TouchID integration is excellent with LastPass.

As for those worried about passwords being secure, it's all about layers. I assume that somebody might get my password (unlikely) and make sure that if it happens, I'm still protected.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:13 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
I still haven't gotten comfortable with trusting all of my passwords to an online and potentially hackable service like LastPass. I'm probably being somewhat irrational about the risks (kind of like a fear of flying), but I'm comfortable with the system I use and find it to be pretty convenient. I store all my passwords locally in a program called Password Agent Lite, and then I use replication software to keep the program data sync'ed between my desktop and laptop and other devices.
You have a master password that is used as a key to encrypt all of your other 12+ digit passwords for all of your sites. Lastpass does not have access to this, so they do not have all of your other passwords.

Quote:
Private Master Password
The user’s master password, and the keys used to encrypt and decrypt user data, are never sent to LastPass’ servers, and are never accessible by LastPass.
Old 09-09-2016, 12:29 PM   #19

When using Apple phones and computers you can use the integrated Keychain. It's shared across your iPhone, iPad, and macintosh computers. And it's free once you own the devices.

I use if for almost all my passwords and it works virtually flawlessly.

I do keep my most important accounts (where I keep my largest balances) committed to memory - not stored on the computer, not written down. It's only a couple, so it's doable.
Old 09-09-2016, 12:40 PM   #20
Dryer sheet aficionado

I keep everything in an Excel spreadsheet that is password protected. Even then I use *** for some of the characters that I know for sure.