Join Early Retirement Today

Pasta Pass has a trick
Old 10-12-2017, 06:13 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Pasta Pass has a trick

I won a Pasta Pass for $110, which means I can go to Olive Garden and order the unlimited pasta meal for free every day.

At first I thought WOW how lucky, since they sold all 22,000 in 1 second.

After having it a few weeks, I realize I was tricked.

I decided to limit my trips to OG to twice per week because if I ate the same thing every day I'd be sick of it quickly, and probably gain 100 lbs.

So we go twice a week, at first it was fun, and even handy when we were out shopping and near an OG at lunch time. But not I feel the drive of 7 miles each way is not so fun these days, when I could stay home and make a chicken salad sandwich.

One trick is an official trick, you see I have to take DW with me each time, so I'm not eating lunch for free, in fact they have pretty much guaranteed I'll take DW to lunch/supper 16 times in the next 2 months, that's $208 extra at the absolute cheapest

There is an unofficial trick we have noticed at one OG, the one closest to us. When we order lunch, they bring DW a dinner meal at lunch time, and then try to charge us the dinner meal cost, but we order from the lunch menu as it's the only one they give us.
It has happened twice, so now I'm thinking it really is a trick of that one place. We caught them on it both times, and they fixed it.

Next year, I'm NOT going to even try for it, as it turns out sometimes you lose when you win.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2017, 06:20 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I won a Pasta Pass for $110, which means I can go to Olive Garden and order the unlimited pasta meal for free every day.

At first I thought WOW how lucky, since they sold all 22,000 in 1 second.

After having it a few weeks, I realize I was tricked.

I decided to limit my trips to OG to twice per week because if I ate the same thing every day I'd be sick of it quickly, and probably gain 100 lbs.

So we go twice a week, at first it was fun, and even handy when we were out shopping and near an OG at lunch time. But not I feel the drive of 7 miles each way is not so fun these days, when I could stay home and make a chicken salad sandwich.

One trick is an official trick, you see I have to take DW with me each time, so I'm not eating lunch for free, in fact they have pretty much guaranteed I'll take DW to lunch/supper 16 times in the next 2 months, that's $208 extra at the absolute cheapest

There is an unofficial trick we have noticed at one OG, the one closest to us. When we order lunch, they bring DW a dinner meal at lunch time, and then try to charge us the dinner meal cost, but we order from the lunch menu as it's the only one they give us.
It has happened twice, so now I'm thinking it really is a trick of that one place. We caught them on it both times, and they fixed it.

Next year, I'm NOT going to even try for it, as it turns out sometimes you lose when you win.

euro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:43 PM   #3

Pasta is pretty cheap. Do you get anything free with it? Meatballs? Bread sticks? Salad? Drink? The is a huge mark-up on all those. They'd probably still make money if you just ordered a soda with your "free" pasta meal. Make it wine and they're way ahead.

I like Olive Garden, but don't think I've ever ordered just pasta, or even pasta and meatballs.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:40 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Pasta is pretty cheap. Do you get anything free with it? Meatballs? Bread sticks? Salad? Drink? The is a huge mark-up on all those. They'd probably still make money if you just ordered a soda with your "free" pasta meal. Make it wine and they're way ahead.

I like Olive Garden, but don't think I've ever ordered just pasta, or even pasta and meatballs.
My DW and I both bought it also been there 5 times so far. They give you unlimited Salad or Soup plus Bread Sticks and choice of pasta and sauces.
Last time we were there the server packed up 2 soups, 2 pastas, breadsticks and chocolates to go. We had them for lunch the next day....
capjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:16 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by capjak View Post
My DW and I both bought it also been there 5 times so far. They give you unlimited Salad or Soup plus Bread Sticks and choice of pasta and sauces.
Last time we were there the server packed up 2 soups, 2 pastas, breadsticks and chocolates to go. We had them for lunch the next day....
How did you manage to each get one, the competition is pretty intense for them as they went incredibly fast. ?
Old 10-12-2017, 09:19 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

You also get a choice of 5 toppings to with any sauce.
Meatballs
sausage
deep fried chicken
grilled chicken
deep fried shrimp.

They call the shrimp: frita shrimp, but it seems deep fried breaded stuff to me.

I usually get the grilled chicken as the topping, as my vain attempt to watch the calories.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:29 PM   #7

Quote:
You also get a choice of 5 toppings to with any sauce.
Meatballs
sausage
deep fried chicken
grilled chicken
deep fried shrimp.

They call the shrimp: frita shrimp, but it seems deep fried breaded stuff to me.

I usually get the grilled chicken as the topping, as my vain attempt to watch the calories.
Don't you have to pay extra for the toppings? Not Free with the pasta pass I think.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:31 PM   #8

Quote:
How did you manage to each get one, the competition is pretty intense for them as they went incredibly fast. ?
We have two computers and hit the button exactly at the stroke of Zero.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:04 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by capjak View Post
Don't you have to pay extra for the toppings? Not Free with the pasta pass I think.
Nope, they are included, this was in the email they sent me. It's right on the pass as well.

"Terms & Conditions: Never Ending Pasta Pass holder may redeem for unlimited Never Ending Pasta Bowl (NEPB) meals 9/25/2017–11/19/2017. Dine–in only. Offer is valid at any Olive Garden location in the U.S. (excluding Puerto Rico). Not valid for online or ToGo orders. Present to server at time of ordering. One redemption per visit. Each NEPB meal consists of pasta, sauce and a single topping serving from the promotional menu. "

Note: when you order the NEPB, unlimited salad and bread sticks are included.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:06 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Normally I eat 1 pasta bowl, but had on occasion ordered a second to try out the sausage for example.
Then second bowl is much smaller (child size) and can be a totally new set of pasta, sauce, topping.
Old 10-14-2017, 04:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Nope, they are included, this was in the email they sent me. It's right on the pass as well.

Quote:
Normally I eat 1 pasta bowl, but had on occasion ordered a second to try out the sausage for example.
Then second bowl is much smaller (child size) and can be a totally new set of pasta, sauce, topping.
Cool. Sounds like it could be a good deal for someone who goes there a lot. The soup or salad, along with bread sticks, is almost a meal by itself. Add a side of pasta with meat and you won't leave hungry.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 05:03 PM   #12

Quote:

"Terms & Conditions: Never Ending Pasta Pass holder may redeem for unlimited Never Ending Pasta Bowl (NEPB) meals 9/25/2017–11/19/2017. Dine–in only. Offer is valid at any Olive Garden location in the U.S. (excluding Puerto Rico). Not valid for online or ToGo orders. Present to server at time of ordering. One redemption per visit. Each NEPB meal consists of pasta, sauce and a single topping serving from the promotional menu. "

Wow Thanks I have been assuming that it was extra for the meat...This deal is even better......
If you do not like past just order it with the toping and only eat the meat....

@sunset...Just noticed we are both in Chicago....I frequent the Vernon Hills one....
Old 10-14-2017, 05:29 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I cannot imagine eating at Olive Garden more than once every few years and even then sticking with the salad. Not even for free.

We will take a small, family run place every time.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 07:15 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I used to like the Olive Garden. For what it was, low cost, reasonably healthy commercial food. Hey it not like Mama Chachiona's eh? Go in have the big bowl and some pasta for cheap and easy and fast and good.

Not any more, never going back. Not even to complain. Off the list.

Took my girl for a little lunch and we were subjected to the largest, grandest, hardest upsell I ever had to endure. Which included an electronic tableside widget that we could play games on for only 3 dollars extra. Free wine samples, how was it, want a glass? How about adding this or that. Want to try this? Only 2 dollars more.

Amazing. Never Going Back Ever Even If It's Free
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 06:30 AM   #15

I rarely eat Italian food out unless it's sharing a pizza with friends. It's just too easy to cook at home and make everything fresh including the pasta. The taste difference is so much better than fast food restaurants like OG.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
olive garden, pass, pasta, trick