Join Early Retirement Today

PayPal haters rejoice - Google comes to the rescue!....
Old 07-07-2006, 04:55 PM   #1

PayPal haters rejoice - Google comes to the rescue!....

If you have been screwed by PayPal as much as I have been, you will rejoice that google is set to launch Gbuy, a PayPal alternative. Anybody but PayPal as far as I'm concerned.

TH, - Get me a beta account as soon as you can!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: PayPal haters rejoice - Google comes to the rescue!....
Old 07-07-2006, 07:56 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Me too. I had two rounds of "stupid" with paypal, and that was enough.

Round one was a case of "we'd rather have no money at all from you, and for you to hate us, than to get some money from you"

Round two was "Although you havent used the service and we keep getting hacked, no, we wont delete your credit card and bank account data because our TOS says we dont have to, even though you just said you'd change all the numbers at a cost of considerable time and will hate us even further...we insist on our right to maintain what will shortly be useless and invalid information".

I never even hit the point where they freeze or take your money, although I did discover that the "paypal guarantee" sucks. If the ebay seller ships you a box of rocks...DEFECTIVE rocks...as long as they sent a package of some kind with something in it, paypals not really interested in whether or not it was what you supposedly bought.

Come on google!

I'll get you an account on one condition...that you ADMIT that wild salmon tastes better than farm raised!

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 10:07 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

no beta... open to all

http://tinyurl.com/lc55e

guess it isn't quite gbuy though
Old 07-08-2006, 05:47 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think competition for Paypal would be great except Ebay won't allow any other online payment service but Paypal.

CFB the way around the crap about them shipping anything, even rocks is to ALWAYS pay with a credit card, never ever ever pay with a Paypal balance or thru your bank account. If Paypal won't do anything your credit card company sure will.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 08:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outtahere
I think competition for Paypal would be great except Ebay won't allow any other online payment service but Paypal.
Sure they will! - Once the auction is over the buyer and seller are free to do anything they want. Personal Check, Money Order or Gbuy!!
Old 07-08-2006, 08:55 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

CFB the way around the crap about them shipping anything, even rocks is to ALWAYS pay with a credit card, never ever ever pay with a Paypal balance or thru your bank account. If Paypal won't do anything your credit card company sure will.
Its been a while, but IIRC theres something in the paypal TOS that says if you dispute a credit card payment they can freeze your account or some other such nonsense.

Yep "accepting their ToS (Terms of Service) in effect means you waive your rights to credit card consumer protection laws if you want to use their service, and that you may not issue a chargeback for unauthorized use of your credit card and PayPal account, or if you do, then they have the right to limit your account."
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:11 AM   #7

But there are new rules, you can only offer Ebay authorized forms of payment not even after the sale thru emails. You might think that after the sale you can make your own arragnements but if you happen to sell to some dickhead that's just out to report people you're screwed and there are those dickheads out there that sit behind their computers all day and search for people trying to avoid fees or get around Ebay and Paypal rules.

There are many discussions on alternative payments on the Ebay forums. Check them out, the forums are just horrible, filled with vicious people just waiting to jump on newbies and tolls that defend Paypal to the death.

If I want to dispute a credit card sale done thru Paypal for goods not as described and they freeze MY Paypal account then they've lost me forever. What usually happens is they freeze the sellers account until the dispute is settled and it can take up to 90 days, sometimes longer.

Old 07-08-2006, 01:41 PM   #8

Quote:
But there are new rules, you can only offer Ebay authorized forms of payment not even after the sale thru emails. You might think that after the sale you can make your own arragnements but if you happen to sell to some dickhead that's just out to report people you're screwed and there are those dickheads out there that sit behind their computers all day and search for people trying to avoid fees or get around Ebay and Paypal rules.
Ebay would be fools to not allow payment by Google. Google is a big time player.
If they (Ebay) won't play with Google, they will go the way of AOL. And Google will get into the Auction Business also!
Old 07-08-2006, 02:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat

If they (Ebay) won't play with Google, they will go the way of AOL. And Google will get into the Auction Business also!
One can only hope, I'm soooo tired of all the baloney over at Ebay, I would LOVE another auction site that draws bidders.

Old 07-10-2006, 09:34 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Here comes the anticompetitive behavior...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/2006...pcworld/126351