Join Early Retirement Today

Paypal security BS
Old 09-30-2013, 02:05 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Paypal security BS

Just frustrated.. tried to donate money to a local charity and once again, PayPal says they have chosen my account at random for a security check and I have to go through all the bs involved to get it back online.. happens every time I go through PayPal... tired of it.. enough already!

I hope that when I die and go to heaven I will remember my username and password to get in the place...
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2013, 04:08 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Just frustrated.. tried to donate money to a local charity and once again, PayPal says they have chosen my account at random for a security check and I have to go through all the bs involved to get it back online.. happens every time I go through PayPal... tired of it.. enough already!

I hope that when I die and go to heaven I will remember my username and password to get in the place...
I'll be fine as Hell won't require passwords, I hope !
Old 09-30-2013, 04:43 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I had a bad experience with Paypal when booking a vacation condo in a Hawaii earlier this year. They froze my account for several weeks, past the deadline for the owners to receive the money, and I could get no satisfaction despite many phone calls and emails. The owners of the condo were really pissed off and I almost lost my reservation because of this. In the end, they transferred the money (which had been withdrawn from my bank account three weeks before), and then I got hit with a currency surcharge because the exchange rates had changed. I was not impressed, and will avoid Paypal transactions in future wherever possible.

Years ago Paypal charged me for symphony tickets that I had already purchased using my credit card. I think that must have been an error by orchestra administration. It was quickly resolved.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:27 PM   #4

Never understood why Paypal allowed me to use the service with only my credit card number but later required me to provide my bank account number. Which I never did. Why do they need that when my credit card was just fine before? It just seemed too fishy so I stopped using them.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:13 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
Never understood why Paypal allowed me to use the service with only my credit card number but later required me to provide my bank account number. Which I never did. Why do they need that when my credit card was just fine before? It just seemed too fishy so I stopped using them.
They have a policy where you can buy up to a certain amount (maybe $1K?) on a credit card, but after that you have to be "verified" by giving them your banking information. I don't think it's fishy, but I do think it's pushy. Especially since once you get "verified" you can still make the purchases on your credit card, pretty much removing the reason for getting your banking info in the first place.

What I did was open a new account with a slightly different version of my name and a different credit card. But also because of this policy I pretty much quit using Paypal. The account is still out there, but I haven't used it in a couple of years.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:24 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

But once you are verified (3K for me), it defaults to your bank account and you have to keep changing it back to your preferred CC. Cheaper for Paypal to do a draw on your account than charge your CC.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:59 AM   #7

I accept CC to book the lake house via paypal so more $$ moves to me than away. Most other services charge a monthly fee AND a usage fee.

No problems to date. I like the "refund" option to return security deposits. They even refund the fee.

And with the recent law change I can bill the tenant the 3.5% fee.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:36 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

The only problem I have with PayPal (and eBay) are the fees. They have really turned this into a money maker, with almost zero competition.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
What I did was open a new account with a slightly different version of my name and a different credit card.
That might be the plan for me to try since most purchases are small dollar amounts and the limit would last for a few more years. I just don't think they need access to any of my bank accounts when my credit card works just fine everywhere else. It would also be easier for me to challenge an improper charge than to try and retrieve money taken from my bank account.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote