Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-15-2013, 11:46 AM   #201
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The program made me appreciate what I have and the opportunities that I have had. 95 percent is attributable to my parents and my wife.
brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2013, 03:58 PM   #202
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I tried watching this at pbs.org but the data rate was so slow as to make the video unwatchable. I don't have that problem at other sites. Is PBS routinely overloaded? Is there a better time of day?
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:28 PM   #203
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
I tried watching this at pbs.org but the data rate was so slow as to make the video unwatchable. I don't have that problem at other sites. Is PBS routinely overloaded? Is there a better time of day?
Dunno, I just watched it via a DSL line and it worked fine.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:28 PM   #204

Yes, I have had problems with PBS and Utube. Utube has especially gotten worse. Other streaming sites, (Vimeo, etc), are OK.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:34 PM   #205

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
I have basic speed DSL and had to watch 5-10 minutes at a time, allowing it to rebuffer.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:56 PM   #206
Gone but not forgotten

Very interesting thread. Not sure I learned much from the documentary, but certainly learned a lot about member atttitudes and thought processes. Rare and refreshing to see discussion without the vitriol that fills our lives.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:18 PM   #207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Oh Tom, Tom.....this is the way I used to think, as an INTJ like you (I assume). Those are very important avenues to explore. But the power of stories is evident here. Look how much interest and debate this program has generated here!
You hit the nail on the head Meadbh - I am indeed an INTJ, like you!

There were some interesting parts; I'm not disagreeing with that. As others have said, the Stanleys in particular were quite inspiring. The son who went to college and is using his education to work within his community is exemplary of good citizenship. Mr and Mrs Stanley are hard-working and dedicated parents and members of their community. Like Arifriekinel, I didn't think of Mrs Stanley as a failure at all, and I think it's a shame that she thinks of herself that way.

The way that Mrs Neumann lost her house, owing (IIRC) 96K on it, only to see the bank sell it to another couple for 38K in a foreclosure sale, was saddening. The son who has a child by one woman, is expecting another kid with another woman, and who is working a minimum wage job with no benefits was as uninspiring to me as Keith Stanley was inspiring. He's going to have trouble getting ahead in life. Perhaps I'll be proven wrong; I sure hope so.

It was quite good as a study of 2 individual families in one specific city over a 20-year time period. The name of the program suggested to me, however, that a broader viewpoint would be taken, and perhaps some attempt made at a critical analysis of what actually is happening to the American middle class. For me, the title created expectations that weren't met. That was the part that disappointed.

If this just serves to illustrate my INTJ nature then what can I say? I gotta be me

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:53 PM   #208

I think something important that no one seems to have touched on is that you don't really need many people for manufacturing anymore. Sure, some of the job losses have been companies moving overseas to tap cheap labor, but most of them are simply from automation.

A modern manufacturing plant often just needs a few people to keep the machines running well. In China, labor has been cheap enough that it hasn't been worth the expense of automation, but that may be changing as well.

Ultimately, we need fewer and fewer people each year to produce the "stuff" we use. The jobs we produce are mostly service jobs, which usually use local labor.

I don't think it will be too long before the automation of service jobs picks up.

The automation of farming freed up labor for manufacturing. The automation of manufacturing freed up labor for the service economy.

I fear that the automation of the service sector will free our labor up for standing in the unemployment line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
So, what gives? Why are businesses in the Neumanns' and Stanleys' area paying so much less? Their profitability must have been low compared to elsewhere. Why?

Or perhaps the stagnant economic condition there drags everything down, and the surplus of labor drives down the hourly rate. Fine, but why don't businesses see that as an advantage and set up shops there, instead of in other places where they had to pay a lot more for labor?

I would suggest to PBS to research into questions like the above.
Hamlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:03 PM   #209
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
I fear that the automation of the service sector will free our labor up for standing in the unemployment line.
Maybe, but why be dark? We'll need more government workers for starters, to man these unemployment lines. Look how many more hands will be available for burglary, armed robbery, and peddling narcotics? Don't forget the augmented need for tattoo parlors. And then if we can figure out how to pay them, we will need more cops, more prosecutors and public defenders, more probation officers, more judges and bailiffs-it gives endless employment possibilities. I see America on the cusp of a new golden age!

Ha
Old 07-15-2013, 10:23 PM   #210

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post

We could debate median/average income increases tell the cows come home. I could literally write a novella length book on how silly it is that our government uses the same methodology to collect data on income that we relied on during the New Deal. Although census workers are now allowed to use that new fangled invention the telephone instead of in person interviews, although cellphone interviews aren't allowed. In short in world were every Walmart manager can tell your precisely how many green shirts were sold before St. Patty's day for the past decade it is crazy how crappy our economic data collection is. So when people quote stuff about income. I want to know how do you define it and how did you collect the data, cause after looking into the sausage factory. I don't really believe it.

But when people say the average family is worse off than they were in the 1970, because yes a male with a high school diploma wages have gone up minimally since 1970. We are ignoring a host of other factors, rising wages woman, rising wages for the twice as many folks with a college education. 30% increases in real household wages since 1970, smaller households meaning more spending per person.

To me if we want to measure prosperity we just you look around at what people do and own . It is far more important what that income can and does purchases so some examples. .
No way is that accurate. Most of the stuff Americans "possess" and have purchased they don't own outright at all . They buy stuff on credit. They can buy much more than they should. Tracking how much stuff we possess is a very bad indicator. Income is very accurate and the numbers come from income tax and wage reported to the IRS from employers. Plus they compare that to previous years records using the same data gathering method and parameters used decades before. You cannot say that isn't much more accurate than how many things people nowadays consume or purchase. That's only an annual barometer for how greedy we have become compared to previous generations (especially since they had no credit cards back when my grandpa was my age)!
Old 07-16-2013, 12:15 AM   #211
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al in Ohio View Post
No way is that accurate. Most of the stuff Americans "possess" and have purchased they don't own outright at all . They buy stuff on credit. They can buy much more than they should. Tracking how much stuff we possess is a very bad indicator. Income is very accurate and the numbers come from income tax and wage reported to the IRS from employers. Plus they compare that to previous years records using the same data gathering method and parameters used decades before. You cannot say that isn't much more accurate than how many things people nowadays consume or purchase. That's only an annual barometer for how greedy we have become compared to previous generations (especially since they had no credit cards back when my grandpa was my age)!

I am not sure where do to start here. Do you have a source that say most stuff American's possess they owe credit? If so care to provide a link. Obviously it is true for houses and generally true for cars that people buy them on credit. Although roughly 1/3 of all houses in the US have no mortgage In the case
of cars most people pay off their car loans and they are typically 3-5 year loans, while the average car is 10+ years old.

As for income data collection being very accurate I am laughing.
I am curious could you tell me where on the tax form you report the following types of income?
o Employer match for 401K contributions or pension contributions
o Value of insurance premiums paid by your employer
o Dividends, interest, and realized capitals gains in a 401K/IRAs.
o SNAP (aka food stamps)
o School lunches
o Pell grants
o AGI including Tax free income from muni bonds
o Inheritances and gifts

If you actually read as many income studies as I have you'd realize that precious few use the IRS data because IRS fail to capture income at all accurately, especially for poor people and in some cases the very rich. The rest rely on Census bureau panels as I have described, and they are antiquated.

Now I don't claim to be an expert, although I sure I know more than the average Joe. So if you have had a career working for the Census Bureau, BLS, Federal Reserve, the economics department at top university or JP Morgan, I'd be happy to be educated.

Otherwise unless you back up your arguments with links to reputable source, I have hard time taking them very seriously.

FYI, actually unless your grandfather was over the age 75 when you were born they had credit cards when he was your age.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:58 AM   #212

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Maybe, but why be dark? We'll need more government workers for starters, to man these unemployment lines. Look how many more hands will be available for burglary, armed robbery, and peddling narcotics? Don't forget the augmented need for tattoo parlors. And then if we can figure out how to pay them, we will need more cops, more prosecutors and public defenders, more probation officers, more judges and bailiffs-it gives endless employment possibilities. I see America on the cusp of a new golden age!

Ha
My kind of humor!

You also need to remember that all those govt employees will be faithfully paying their fair share of taxes, too. Without taxes the system would fail. Possibly an annual tattoo tax?...
Old 07-16-2013, 06:50 AM   #213
Recycles dryer sheets

I haven't watched yet, but comments in this thread made me think of the final scene of "Killing Them Softly".

Killing Them Softly (2012) - Final Scene - YouTube

Please be warned, a bit of foul language.
serie1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:16 AM   #214
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al in Ohio View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
[FONT=Verdana]
I am not sure where do to start here. Do you have a source that say most stuff American's possess they owe credit? If so care to provide a link.

Now I don't claim to be an expert, although I sure I know more than the average Joe. So if you have had a career working for the Census Bureau, BLS, Federal Reserve, the economics department at top university or JP Morgan, I'd be happy to be educated.

Otherwise unless you back up your arguments with links to reputable source, I have hard time taking them very seriously. ....
Al in Ohio, if you look around this forum, I think you'll quickly learn that clifp is very good with numbers and big-picture economics.

So after he provided this info, and acknowledged that there would be some effect due to credit, you just say 'no, you are wrong'? As clifp says, provide some reliable links/info if you want to challenge him and educate us.

Words have meanings. When you say "Most of the stuff Americans "possess" and have purchased they don't own outright at all." - 'most' means more than half. Links?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:27 AM   #215
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Dang. The "factionistas" are at it again, expecting links and documentation. What a buzz-kill.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:37 AM   #216
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Dang. The "factionistas" are at it again, expecting links an documentation. What a buzz-kill.
Sorry, I forgot we were just supposed to immerse ourselves in the 'narrative'.

Facts? Facts! We don't need no stinkin' facts!

-ERD50
Old 07-16-2013, 09:45 AM   #217
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Sorry, I forgot we were just supposed to immerse ourselves in the 'narrative'.

Facts? Facts! We don't need no stinkin' facts!

-ERD50
Reminds me of a boss, and good friend (not at the same time) who often said "never let facts get in the way of a good story".
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:28 AM   #218
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Reminds me of a boss, and good friend (not at the same time) who often said "never let facts get in the way of a good story".
I think it was Mark Twain, in the intro to one of his books, something like - ' I have a very good memory, sometimes I can recall things that never even happened!'.

-ERD50
Old 07-16-2013, 11:41 AM   #219

You don't need no stinkin facts or links to know common knowledge about the extent if consumer debt. Watch the nightly news. You will get a figure at least once per week!

Sheesh!
Old 07-16-2013, 12:00 PM   #220

Fyi - The first widely accepted credit card for general purpose was the Bank of Americard now known as VISA which was born in 1966. Credit card use was not widely accepted until the 70's.(well after my grandpa retired). He would not have used credit cards during his working life.

Link. www.creditcards.com