Join Early Retirement Today

PC antivirus software deal
Old 12-06-2005, 02:06 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

PC antivirus software deal

My subscription to Norton Internet Security 2004 just expired. I tried to renew the antivirus component, but they require are full sub for IS 2004 which is $10 more. Since I don't care too much for norton (long boot times, proper removal has required a disk reformat in past) I figured I try something else.

Earlier this year I needed an antivirus program. A fresh install of Windows XP lead me to a 1/2 price discount offer on TrendMicro PCillin through a Microsoft promotion. After reading some positive reviews I decided to try it. After 5 months I"m satisfied, and at $24.97 it's a good deal.

Here's a shortened version of the link I found on microsoft's site.
http://url123.com/dxu84
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: PC antivirus software deal
Old 12-06-2005, 03:35 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB
My subscription to Norton Internet Security 2004 just expired.
That has to be one of the whiniest, most alarmist programs I've ever owned. It treats users as idiots from a Dilbert cartoon.

This morning (just before I uninstalled it) it alarmed on my 56K modem sending a fax. Apparently port 1024 is a popular attack for a Trojan horse.

A couple days ago the Vanguard Diehards board posted a link to highly-rated freeware/shareware programs.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 06:20 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

JB -

Watch the weekend ads for computer retailers - the usual suspects, compusa, bestbuy, staples, frys, office depot, office max, etc.* Look for products containing the Internet Security or anti-virus products and see who has it for FAR (Free After Rebate).* The 2006 updates are now out for many products - you will have to negotiate two or three rebates including a Upgrade Rebate which may involve sending in the inside cover page from the manual of any earlier product (never toss the manuals!).* This week I upgraded to the SystemWorks Premier including AV, Norton Utilities, Ghost, etc. at a free-after-rebate price.

Do this every year and get free upgrades on these products - Norton/Symantec is one of the best companies at paying back the rebates.* I've tried other anti-virus software but keep coming back to Norton.* A rebate is great, free is better - If you like it, its great, if you don't like it you are not out the list price!

Check it out -

Best Regards

* JohnP

JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 09:46 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP
I've tried other anti-virus software but keep coming back to Norton.
I hate Symantec's firewall but I love their virus scanner. Painless & invisible, only lets me know when it's had to kill something.

The Navy gives out free copies & subscriptions to Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition. I've been running v8.1 since 2002 with no complaints. If you're in the Navy then your IT staff owes you a copy, and other branches of the military or even DoD might have a similar program.

If you're an employee of a civilian company then your IT staff may give you a copy just to keep your telecommuting from harming their network. Explain to them that it's an HR perk in their best interests, and they may find the budget for a few more licenses.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 10:07 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I also got Symantec Corp version since my company's Dell laptop was one of the going away gifts for my forced ER.
I schedule the AV to run nightly to scan my drives and automatically update the virius definitions. I have had no problems with either and the price for them was just right.

The only complaint I have is that Symantec AV could have a new updated virus definition list every day, but their update software only does 1 update a week. I guess they don't want to voluntarily download updates daily to save money. Really stupid. When I was at work, I used to use a link to update my defs daily. Too lazy now.

Old 12-07-2005, 02:05 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

While I'm no fan of Norton or most antivirus software - it sometimes seems the cure is worse than the disease, I've always had good luck at reinstalling Norton and it will reup for another year. Eventually the version gets so out of date it won't install, so then start looking around for a new version that's free with rebate. I've never bought an antivirus software package, unless you count one that is bundled with a new peecee.