Join Early Retirement Today

PC guru needed
Old 06-02-2008, 04:59 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

PC guru needed

Just got an up dated monitor from a friend,its one of the newer thin ones.
Problem is all displayed text looks weak or like a printer thats starting to run out of ink, reading a page of text has some letters bold and black other letters are barely visible.
I've tried several locations in "my computer settings" for font enhancement but nothing seems to work..
Any ideas would be appreciated....
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2008, 05:24 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

The first thing you need to do is determine the 'native' pixel display of the monitor; it is something like "1280x1024" or "1600x1280" - then go to start, then 'control panel' then 'display' then 'settings' and change the screen resolution to match the native pixel count of the new monitor.

After you do this you should have a much improved viewability. If you still want better font viewability, google microsoft clear type and customize it to your personal viewing pleasure.

JohnP
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 05:37 AM   #3

Thanks That cleared it up ,i went from 800x600 to 1280x1024, however i now have another problem all the icons and text have become very small.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:52 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Can't do much about the icon size but can work the text. While in Internet explorer, go to 'View' and pull down to 'Text Size' and choose a larger size - check them all out and decide what you like best! Firefox has a similar capability.

Did you try 'ClearType' also?

Best regards

JohnP
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 06:06 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

If the operating system is Vista, just put the cursor in any clear area of the desktop, click right mouse. Under "View' there will be icon size choices.

Choose Large.
Enuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 06:11 AM   #6

I;m running windows 98 and cant find anything in IE that says View or clear type.
I suppose i can get used to this small type if my ancient operating system cant support the new screen size.. Thanks
Old 06-02-2008, 06:18 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

If the OS is XP:

Desktop - right-click - Properties - Appearance - Font Size = Large Fonts: Apply

Cheers - Mick

Edit - Ah Win 98.....from (very poor) memory, the above instructions will work the same.
mbooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 06:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbooth View Post
If the OS is XP:

Desktop - right-click - Properties - Appearance - Font Size = Large Fonts: Apply

Cheers - Mick

Edit - Ah Win 98.....from (very poor) memory, the above instructions will work the same.
That did it, Thanks again
Old 06-04-2008, 03:28 PM   #9

Another head scratcher has arisen,after going from 800x600 to 12 80 x 1024 one of my kids tried to put the screen resolution back to 800x600 because she said the text was too small with the larger size.
now that we are back to 800x600 the pages are so large that when go to the settings page i can no longer change the settings because the "apply" icon is off the bottom of the screen..Is there some other way to make the page smaller so i can reset the resolution..
Old 06-04-2008, 05:14 PM   #10

Hitting the enter button solved the delema