Join Early Retirement Today

PC Question re software.
Old 02-26-2016, 12:31 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

PC Question re software.

Bought a new Dell XPS8900 running Windows 10 and am having problems with viewing a DVD movie on the "429-AAVH Blu-ray Combo Drive (Reads BD and Writes to DVD/CD) drive".

When I go to the open up the software for the drive it states "Video TS", when I open that file it brings up about 49 files currently on the Disc. In other words, it won't play the movie. From what I understand, some new pc companies are trying to save money from paying software so some hardware doesn't come with software.

Is it my responsibility to search for the proper software and download it?

I've had a couple other issue with the pc and have called Dell for support and to be honest, I love the pc re quality etc, but they've changed the quality of there support as I have no desire to ever call them again. I'd say it's a 50% chance I understand them and another 50% chance they can solve my problem in under an hour. That's after spending 45 minutes on hold to talk to a tech.

Ok, next page, can anyone help me out?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2016, 12:50 PM   #2

DVD playback software used to be included with Windows Vista and 7 by default. Microsoft paid the MPEG and AC3 licensing fees. I believe MS removed that from Windows 10.

Try downloading MPC HomeCinema or VLC for movie playback. Not sure if they'll work with encrypted DVDs, though.

Old 02-26-2016, 12:56 PM   #3

Here is an article that explains the why and the how, including links. Once you have a player installed, it will automatically play movies like you would expect...

How To Play DVDs or Blu-ray on Windows 8 or Windows 10
Old 02-26-2016, 01:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnzw_rui View Post
DVD playback software used to be included with Windows Vista and 7 by default. Microsoft paid the MPEG and AC3 licensing fees. I believe MS removed that from Windows 10.

Try downloading MPC HomeCinema or VLC for movie playback. Not sure if they'll work with encrypted DVDs, though.
I believe you're correct and dixonge has provided a link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
Here is an article that explains the why and the how, including links. Once you have a player installed, it will automatically play movies like you would expect...
Thanks dixonge, it would appear that it will work with DVD but not Blu-Ray, I'll have to read more into it, but I don't see a clear answer to Blu-Ray and windows 10.

I still don't understand they they install the hardware, but not the software on a complete PC system.
Old 02-26-2016, 02:15 PM   #5

Maybe http://www.techisky.com/software/pla...indows-10.html ?

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk
Old 02-26-2016, 04:13 PM   #6

My Son had a program called Power DVD 6 and it seems to work with DVD's but I haven't tried Blu-Ray. I don't think it supports Blu-Ray but at least it works now for the most part.

Thanks everyone for your help, if I feel like being put on hold, I may call Dell one day and ask why they would sell me a Blu-Ray player, but not include the software to operate/run it.
Old 02-26-2016, 05:04 PM   #7
Confused about dryer sheets

Dell has great voice support on servers and storage, not so much on desktops. Three good possibilities for you to resolve this:

1. Go to Dell's web page for your product and look for an update or missing application:
Product Support | Dell US

2. Open up a chat session with Dell (better than usually):
Chat Technical Support | Dell US

3. Hit up Google and see if you get lucky.... bingo!

Blu-ray software?
blu-ray software? - Video - Desktop - Dell Community

Check out that post, it looks like you might already have software named "Cyberlink Media Suite 13" that's needs to be opened/check in before it's authorized to work.

Hope that helps.