Join Early Retirement Today

Pecan time
Old 11-18-2014, 08:50 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Pecan time

Took in 54.8 lbs of pecans to be cracked and shelled yesterday.. here is the final result.. they need to be sifted through and bagged. We pretty much give most of them away, shipping to friends and family all over the country.

Still a lot more on the ground.. we have 5 native trees that produce every other year.

Cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10419380_10152357900461891_7228303752005802435_n.jpg (66.4 KB, 9 views)
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2014, 10:59 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

JEALOUS!!!
Our tree has never produced!
But I have lots of memories of going to my grandfather's place and picking them.
And hey, what's this "taking them to be cracked and shelled" business? Pure luxury!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 11:41 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I used to have an apricot tree in the back yard. Average annual "production" was about 4 grocery bags, most of which I took into the office to give away.
But I decided I'm not really a fruit tree guy so I had it removed several years ago (in addition to the harvest one has to deal with birds, bugs and fruit that falls on the ground and rots).
Old 11-18-2014, 11:45 AM   #4

We miss the fresh ones. We used to get fresh pecans from my MIL in Texas until she passed. . Last year on a visit to Texas we stocked up and froze a bunch in seal a meal packages. Fresh ones were difficult to find and sort of pricy. It turns out the export market is really strong for Pecans, making them more scarce in the USA. Drought, demand from China drive up pecan prices

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 12:41 PM   #5

I have a cousin in Texas who's a retired teacher and he now works on a pecan orchard. I think he's found that the nuts are more well behaved.
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 01:48 PM   #6

just got back from grocery run... a pound of pecan pieces is $8.28 at the HEB...wow...didn't know they were that pricey this year. If we get 45 clean pounds, that's $372 worth, less $45 to crack...about $325 net. With the price of postage for mailing them to Fla, CA, Kansas etc... we might break even
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote