Pecan trees

Not a pecan tree, but a month ago during storms, this oak tree split and fell on his neighbors truck about 2 blocks away...

Here were are shooting the breeze about pecans, and the Texan slips in a tall tale just to see if we're paying attention...

Grew up in the Mississippi Delta on the Mississippi River. Small oily pecans grow wild in the woods around there (or used to years ago). The wild pecans are the best in the world. I agree with "puh-kahn" (with almost equal accent on both syllables).

Another phrase we used in the south was "stove up" meaning sore as in "After lifting all those boxes I am all stove up".

My wife didn't believe it was a phrase and thought I had made it up.

Here were are shooting the breeze about pecans, and the Texan slips in a tall tale just to see if we're paying attention...

caught me :blush:

here's the puh-kahn limb being cut up this morning by the tree police

Attachments

• IMG_0878.jpg
    IMG_0878.jpg
    958.7 KB · Views: 3
Another phrase we used in the south was "stove up" meaning sore as in "After lifting all those boxes I am all stove up".

My wife didn't believe it was a phrase and thought I had made it up.

from googling the phrase

>Looking for the history of the phrase "all stove up" as in "that cowboy
>couldn't ride the range today 'cause he's all stove up."
"Stove" is the adjectival form of the verb "to stave," one of the meanings of which is to destroy or "punch a hole in", as in an old nautical expression "A dead whale or a stove boat." "Stove in" is often used for damaged boats; "stove up" is a natural extension in the American use of "up". I don't believe it's particularly Western.

heard it all the time when I was 'coming up'

I use it still. I even infected my sons. I thought it was a standard phrase in English. My wife was a Texan; she used it too.

Ha

I have two native puh-kahn trees in my backyard shading my pool and constantly 'decorating' my pool with various debris throughout the year. I love the nice trees. But cannot recommend them arounds pools. I'd like to blame the trees, but in fairness they were there long before the pool was. So I guess that leaves only the wife to blame :)

Muir

Back
Top Bottom