Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-27-2015, 11:11 AM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I posted this a while ago and made a reference to it in a different thread, but it probably belonged here all along.

But "us country singers can sing anywhere!"

http://youtu.be/5gsMIsQMmZQ

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2015, 02:57 PM   #82
Give me a forum ...

Steelyman: You are indeed one of a kind. Enjoyed reading about the history of the instrument. It's perhaps the most underrated of all musical instruments, and is often one you don't hear out front. But if a country band doesn't have a pedal steel, something's just missing.

Growing up in Nashville was great for a young musician. My family knew people like Johnny Cash, Stringbean, Kitty Wells, Patsy Cline, Tommy Jackson, T Tommy Cutrer and so many others. Dolly met Carl Dean a block from my house--washing clothes. I grew up with Carl Dean's sister and brother in law. Brenda Lee (Shacklett) lived in our community, and sat next to me in church one Easter. Nashville remains such an interesting place to live, and would be a great place to retire.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 03:03 PM   #83
Give me a forum ...

Thanks, Bamaman! It sounds tremendous to live there. But one state over is not too far to come visit and pick! I have a plan to visit Gruhn's

Old 04-05-2015, 09:32 AM   #84
Give me a forum ...

Opening Day!

And just in time... the Big E From Tennessee tosses out a first pitch.

Here's something: although I've listened to this arrangement since first released on One For The Road and seen it live a few times, I never noticed this (those shows must have been during my "Let Me Go Home, Whiskey" period): he uses both necks on this tune.

Clues:

There are two major parts in this arrangement, the beginning is at a slow, waltz-like tempo and the rest is upbeat 4/4. There's a pause in between them and during that you can see him reach up on the guitar and flick a switch. That's a toggle that controls the pickups for the two necks.

During the first part on the E9 or "country" neck, he's using the leftmost pedals (from the player's perspective), but then hikes that leg over to use the other pedals to his right that are for the C6 ("jazz") neck. He does a little reach to help the leg clear the knee levers that are hanging down. The right foot is usually (but not always) planted on the volume pedal, sort of like the gas pedal in your car.

Finally, the voicings (note selection for a particular chord) are very C6th-ish for most of the tune.

Whatever. Here it is. Play ball!!!

Old 04-05-2015, 10:39 AM   #85

Wow!
Thanks for that.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 11:39 AM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Wow!
Thanks for that.

You're welcome. Wish I could play like that!

And they say, "What will you DO in retirement?"

Old 04-05-2015, 07:54 PM   #87
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't know anything about playing pedal steel guitars, but was really impressed by what i found on Youtube. Would inspire me to learn but I'm too lazy.

ampeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 08:31 PM   #88
Give me a forum ...

I need to catch up on some of these, but I have to mention that I just finished digitizing and cleaning up a double LP, Linda Ronstadt's 'a retropspective'. I forgot just how much great steel playing was on those tunes. Red Rhodes, Sneaky Pete, and Weldon Myrick on various tracks.

One example, with an Emmylou Harris bonus.

And another live in the studio version "I Fall to Pieces":

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Pedal Steel Guitar
Old 04-05-2015, 09:47 PM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Pedal Steel Guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampeep View Post
I don't know anything about playing pedal steel guitars, but was really impressed by what i found on Youtube. Would inspire me to learn but I'm too lazy.

Well, the first thing you learn when you buy one and finally get it set up is that you ask yourself, "Am I crazy?"

That's an interesting perspective in your video, all on the E9 neck as shown, but also you can see it's only the leftmost pedals used (knees too, but you can't see that).

If you ever get the urge, try used and go single-neck. That gives you a chance to learn the other techniques (bar, picks, etc.).

But most important, keep listening!

Old 04-05-2015, 10:21 PM   #90
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi steeleyman,

I watched a Youtube video on how to play a pedal steel guitar and got totally confused! Believe it takes waaaaay more talent than I have to play the instrument.

Steel guitar players here in Hawaii have a very different style. I've messed around with open tunings on my guitar w/ little success. I bring my candy apple red, U.S. made Peavey Dyna-Bass to jam with my friends maybe twice a year.

As far as amps for steel guitars, I heard that Fender Twin Reverbs & Vibrasonics were popular. Is that what you use?
Pedal Steel Guitar
Old 04-05-2015, 10:37 PM   #91
Give me a forum ...

Pedal Steel Guitar

Hawaiian? That deserves respect! See what bamaman had to say a little earlier in this thread.

It is a very different style, as is the "West Coast" style. Most of what I've posted is east, especially Nashville. Those people play country for a living but sneak off with their friends to play jazz.

My steel amp is a Peavey that I've had forever. It sounds warmer to me. I guess it's just personal preference.

Playing with your friends, however frequent, is always good!

Old 04-05-2015, 11:05 PM   #92
Recycles dryer sheets

Checked out bamaman's post and yes, Jerry Byrd was a Hawaiian music legend!

As you probably know, country and music is not very popular here, but I find it intriguing. Have included a link of the only country song I know of from Fountains of Wayne - kinda got me looking into the genre:

True; Fenders seem to be a lot brighter than most Peaveys. I was familiar with Peavey amps in the 80's, so am curious, what model do you have?
Old 04-06-2015, 08:06 AM   #93
Give me a forum ...

You might be familar then, with the amp I use. It's a Peavey Deuce that I bought used at the same time as my prior steel. I don't know much about amps but I did notice that Peaveys were very popular with the steelers I liked. You can clearly see "Peavey" in that "Ball Game" video.

I also use a separate reverb unit (important for steel) and replaced the volume pedal, that's about it.

That's definitely country in your video and on the E9 neck. I'd never heard it before. No, I don't know what they like in Hawaii as I am one of those poor souls who have not been fortunate enough to visit!

Keep on picking on whatever gear you like, steel or otherwise - it beats working!

Old 04-06-2015, 10:49 AM   #94
Recycles dryer sheets

Oh yeah, I remember the Deuce -- it's a BEAST!! Thlnk it had 2 - 12" speakers, 100+ watts & that classic Peavey look.

Really appreciate you answering all of my dumb questions!

BTW, today is my first day of retirement. It's 6:47 am - I would have been at work since 6 am. Instead, I'm discussing pedal steel guitars!
Old 04-06-2015, 10:56 AM   #95
Give me a forum ...

That's funny! I never think of it as a beast. It's just "my old Pal Peavey". You nailed it: 2 12" speakers.

I'm happy to share what I've learned - steelers are glad to answer anything but, "What the heck is THAT?"

Way more important is that BIG congratulations are due to you on such a momentous day!

Old 04-06-2015, 11:12 AM   #96
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for your well wishes! Think I just may bring out my old Peavey & see if I can remember how to play it.

Have a great day!
Old 04-06-2015, 01:01 PM   #97
Give me a forum ...

I had an old Peavey Artist. Solid state pre, four 6L6 power amp, with one 15. Bought at a pawn shop for $120 in about 1995. (Dollar a watt!)

I used it to augment my 50w combo, since our bass player would often get so loud by the end of the night that I couldn't hear myself.

This was directly proportional to the quantity of beer he consumed.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 06:52 PM   #98
Recycles dryer sheets

Guess a 120 watt tube amp would do the trick! Good price too.

My lead guitarist got an unreal pawn shop deal in 1985; he purchased a silver face Fender Deluxe Reverb w/ 12" JBL for $25!!!! (the speaker itself cost over $125). The owner was out, so his wife made the sale.

My other friend got an old 100 watt Yamaha combo w/ a 12" (looked like a Boogie) for $100 in 1995, from another pawn shop.

Was very disappointed that I could never find deals like those....
Old 05-18-2015, 10:26 AM   #99
Give me a forum ...

Here's an interesting recent article (don't know how long it will stay up) about a steeler in Durham, NC. I like his guitars.

Durham pedal steel and guitar ace Nathan Golub | Instrumentalist | Indy Week

Old 06-20-2015, 12:32 PM   #100
Give me a forum ...

I got me a Doublemint post right here. Except instead of two, two, two mints in one, it's two videos with two steelers in each. Same band: Asleep At The Wheel.

The first is one I've posted previously in another thread but, like they say, the chickens always come home to roost. In the other post I didn't mention the name of the steelers, both of whom are playing non-pedal guitars. The pretty blonde seated is Cindy Cashdollar, who is well-known as a virtuoso dobro player but she can switch over with the best of them. I'm not sure who the fellow standing is - my initial impression because of the stance and guitar is that it is Eddie Rivers who I didn't mention in an earlier post in this thread of "Old Cowhand". Rivers is still playing with the Wheel and was there when they appeared during the final series of David Letterman's show a little while ago.

The Wheel's still out on the road so you can check out some Western Swing music with the best.

The second one comes from much earlier as is apparent from the video quality (although the sound's fine) and is an early lineup of the Wheel. It has their original steel player Lucky Oceans and seated next to him is Wally Murphy.

I first came to central Illinois for undergrad and the Wheel made it through town early one school year. Wally was the only steeler for that and he was on his way down to the steel convention in StL which happens over Labor Day weekend, so it's still very warm. They have these turn-of-the-century buildings still in use but they were places for "happenings" in the early 1900s, things like vaudeville shows, political meetings/speeches, dances, often in a hall on the upper floor. The Wheel played one of those.

Wally came down from the bandstand to hang out with us during one of the breaks. We had a group seated in a circle near the stage. He was very nice and enjoying himself. It probably didn't hurt that the girls with us were all college girls wearing those short-shorts . Good time and a great band.

That's it. Summer's here!