Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Pedestrain City Recommendations?
Old 02-19-2006, 07:37 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

California also has kaiser permanente, healthnet, aetna, pacificare...couple of others. Check that healthcare portability, as Blue Cross of California is (I think) a different company from BC in other states.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2006, 08:07 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If I choose SF, I'm thinking about living in temporary/corporate housing. May only have a couple of ;arge suitcases with me. Life is not what I thought it would be just 10 short months ago.

Old 02-19-2006, 08:14 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB
OAP

If you pick California to live, you have 2 choices for health insurance. Either Blue Cross or Blue Shield of CA. They are separate entities and compete for business in CA.
An insurance broker who used to post here named Art recommends Blue Shield of California over Blue Cross. I think he went into the reasons in some of his posts.

OAP, do you have company supplied retiree health insurance? If not, this is an area that you wan to be very sure you understand before burning any bridges.

Ha
Old 02-19-2006, 08:32 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Art also liked to quote UFO web sites as valuable sources of information
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:41 PM   #25

Ha,
my health insurance is a retiree benefit from Northrop Grumman and is with BlueCrossBlueShield(Illinois). A retired coworker in LA said his is also via BCBSIL, so maybe I don't have to do anything. But, you are right, I want all the facts in place before any move.

CFB,
are UFO sites generally accurate?
Old 02-19-2006, 09:11 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

According to the movie "men in black", they're the only good source of info.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:14 AM   #27

Has anyone actually lived in downtown DC? I'm interested to know if there are pockets where the locals hit the coffeshops, delis, take-aways, and shops.

I just started writing a book that should be a best seller.

"I Don't Golf, I Don't Garden, I Don't Fish. Confessions of a Lost Retiree"
Old 02-20-2006, 08:23 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Used to sell a lot to the federal govt. Was in and out of the place every other day for a while.

Spent 3 straight weeks there once. During that two weeks I saw two of the more surreal things I've ever seen.

About 50 cops and an ambulance collecting at a street corner. Two guys hanging around just around the corner. You can see it coming. All of a sudden the 50 cops rush as a group around the corner and absolutely beat the snot out of these two guys. Just kicked the crap out of them for a full 10 minutes. Then the ambulance guys rolled the gurney over and scraped them up, put them in the ambulance.

Standing out in front of the ridiculously expensive hotel waiting for a cab. Homeless guy that looks like dog doodie warmed over comes staggering by, singing opera with the most beautiful voice I think i've ever heard. I wouldnt be surprised to see the guy getting the business from Simon Cowell some day.

Very expensive, crime can be pretty high, you can get some very cold snowy weather in the winter, humidity can be very high in the summer, you do get hurricane leftovers as well, and you have to deal with clots of political wonks.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:57 AM   #29

OAP, As long as you have the stamina why not visit all of the above places for an indefinate amount of time, Boston is beautiful in late spring, the south is good to the bones in the winter, CA and AZ are good just about any time of year. It doesn't sound like you have strings holding you down and your health coverage will follow you, why not? If variety is the spice of life then taste a little of what this wonderful country has to offer.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 09:19 AM   #30

CFB,
I visited DC a few times on the taxpayer's money. Selling spy satellites to the military. Kinda like selling snowcones in hell. I saw a bit of what you mention, it was a surreal place sometimes.

Outtahere, Only thing holding me back is health right now. Right now I can't make it past noon without a good nap. Totally exhausted. So I need to narrow to 2-3 palces and give each a good 2-3 week visit.

So far I'm looking at:
1. SF (for sure)
2. Seattle
3. DC
Old 02-20-2006, 09:32 AM   #31

I worked for Blue Shield of CA (or as a contractor) for 20 years. All BC/BS have to follow the same rules that the BC/CS Association has set as a requirement to belong.

The main difference that I see between BC CA and BS CA is that BC is now a FOR profit company. BS of CA is still NON profit. Both have the 'Out of area' program so you may be able to just keep our current policy and have all claims transmitted to the Home plan which is your current BCBS plan. Actually any state you move to will have the same program. They all have to provide this program to keep their cross/shield.

It's called BlueCard. You should have an alpha prefix in front of your subscriber number that indicates to the other plans which plan is your Home plan. It is a program that allows people to travel or live out of state, yet get the discounts that they normally would get from their local preferred provider.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 02-20-2006, 09:39 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldAgePensioner
Can anyone suggest a next USA home for me? Here's my wish list:
1. No need for a vehicle ( I loathe owning things)
2. Lot of diversions in walking distance.
3. Moderate weather.
4. Living costs are not much of an issue.
5. Good medical facilities.
Just a condo/apt with places nearby to eat, shop, and kill a few hours. I move 1-May so I've got 2 months to decide.
How about Chapel Hill, North Carolina? Duke University and Univ. of NC both have top notch hospitals and excellent medical schools (I guess you recall Durham is a few miles up the road from Chapel Hill).

College town - plenty of restaurants and bars, coffeeshops and shopping. Pretty good bus system. Getting out of Chapel Hill to, say, Raleigh could be hard, but buses do travel between those two cities (rental cars are cheap too).

Chapel Hill is small, but lots of "culture" type activities going on - presentations on a multitude of subjects at the University. (the female college students don't look have bad either ). Well educated folks in and around Chapel Hill (I'm a former resident, if that tells you anything... ).

Weather is more moderate than DC. Cost of living is very moderate compared to SF and DC. You could probably get a decent small historic furnished apartment in the heart of things for $800-$1000/month. Maybe more for luxury.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:42 AM   #33

OAP: *You'll probably be fine, regardless of where you "land". *A sense of humor (especially as you grow older), is a blessing.

Of course, for me personally, absent two of those quoted activities, would have sent me back to the work-force long ago.

Take care, and hope you find what you're looking for. *You've had a rough go, and you deserve a break.

Jarhead

Old 02-20-2006, 10:07 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

OAP, when you feel better, go get laid. If that doesnt make you feel better, try it again. I'm pretty sure it'll work eventually...
Old 02-20-2006, 10:16 AM   #35

Justin,
As you recall, I was living on Gorman about the time your dad was matriculating. *Funny I never made it over to Chapel Hill.

In those days, if you went out the Hillsborough side of the library stack and veered left, crossed the street, there was a mom/pop diner (20ft wide/40ft deep) with a screen door and the chili dogs were $.35.

Jarhead,
Thanks for clearing the BC BS question. *I think my current plan is easily transferred. *And without golf, fishing and gardening, I had always considered travel as my reason for being. *With health problems, travel is on hold. *But hey, I just have to get busy when I can. *Thanks.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:20 AM   #36

CFB,
Getting laid is high on my To Do list.

When I got out of the shower this morning, I was hanging about 12 inches. Here's a picture.

http://www.latexallergy.ndo.co.uk/Ur...2__Medium_.jpg
Old 02-20-2006, 10:24 AM   #37

Quote:
Justin,
As you recall, I was living on Gorman about the time your dad was matriculating. Funny I never made it over to Chapel Hill.

In those days, if you went out the Hillsborough side of the library stack and veered left, crossed the street, there was a mom/pop diner (20ft wide/40ft deep) with a screen door and the chili dogs were $.35.
Must be where the Wachovia bank is now. The Hillsborough street area is very different now compared to 20 years go.

I don't know if "small college town" was on your list of potential places to live, but chapel hill would fit your wishlist in general. It is pretty far left-leaning politically. That bugged me a good bit (mindless droids following either political persuasion tend to do that to me). Lots of organic/pet friendly/holistic/environmentalist kind of places/people/activities. I imagine Berkeley might be a good comparison (though I've never been to Berkeley).

Quote:
Getting laid is high on my To Do list.
Once you get rid of the catheter, I think your odds will improve significantly

Old 02-20-2006, 10:34 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I dunno, roll that thing up, put your pants on, and head out to the club...bet you get a few glances.

Probably beats a rolled up sock.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:58 AM   #39

Justin,
I like the idea of being near Duke Medical and Chapel Hill looks nice. Could I buy groceries, visit Border's, eat a Chinese buffet lunch and see a movie, all without having to drive?
Old 02-20-2006, 11:10 AM   #40

Quote:
Justin,
I like the idea of being near Duke Medical and Chapel Hill looks nice. Could I buy groceries, visit Border's, eat a Chinese buffet lunch and see a movie, all without having to drive?
If you lived near downtown - almost. Groceries, movies and buffet are within walking distance. Border's is about 3 miles from downtown - walkable if you don't mind walking that far. There's sidewalks most of the way, but it is along a major road. The bus does run direct from downtown to Borders though. There are a number of other new/used bookstores downtown.

Movies:

Small, 2 screen theatre:
http://movies.raleighlist.org/Varsity-Theatre.htm

Where I lived in Chapel Hill, there were two different theaters in the shopping center around the corner from my condo.

Chapel Hill may be worth a visit to see if you want to live here. Rent might be really cheap for a summer sublet (May to August) when UNC students are out for the summer.