Pedestrain City Recommendations?

OAP, is bicycling to get around not an option? Weather permitting, it would allow you easily get anywhere beyond the limited walking distance while you also get important aerobic exercise. Of course SF, might be a bit of a challenge.

MJ

Heck with a bicycle...get one of those electric scooters, turn your hat sideways, wear a big shirt and your pants around your knees...

MasterBlaster said:
I'll bet that poster Nords has spent a good deal of time in and around SD during his Navy service. Maybe he'll have some comments.
Yeah, we lived there '94-'97 when we were exhiled from Hawaii, but I haven't had much to contribute to this thread due to the prices.

Kensington & Normal Heights are nice livable 1930s neighborhoods with everything in walking distance. I can remember watching a neighbor, a retired USMC aviator in his late 70s, strolling a few blocks to the grocery store for fresh fruit & veggies every day. I used to drive by the Kensington Coffee Co on the way to work and swear that someday I'd be lazing around there in the morning like all those other retired loafers.

The real estate has become pretty pricey, though.

I liked Coronado, Monterey, & Carmel for their climates & walkabout amenities but I doubt that they're cheap either.

Waikiki's like that too, but almost as pricey as SD.

It kind of amazes me that NYC hasn't been mentioned yet. It is the quintessential american pedestrian city with great subways and lots of great neighborhoods. But it is NYC.

Boston is a very nice city with most of what you want, except as mentioned, the winter can be a little hard sometimes (but this year it was fine). Boston is kind of like a small NYC in my opinion (and only 3 hours away from the real NYC). It is very vibrant because of all the students, lots of restaurants and tourist attractions, and probably the best health care in the US (Harvard + MGH + BWH + Children's). Mass transit makes it super easy to live without a car because so few students have cars anyway. I really prefer the feel of Boston to the feel of NYC because it's smaller and much more personal. And if you are interested in education at all then it's hard to beat Boston.

If costs are no issue and weather is really important to you then it's hard to beat California (either San Diego or San Francisco would be my vote). I know SF has a lot of homeless people though that cause problems and it is super expensive. Maybe you can try living in each city for a month to see how you like it?

(Cute Fuzzy Bunny) said:
Heck with a bicycle...get one of those electric scooters, turn your hat sideways, wear a big shirt and your pants around your knees...

I always think of bicycle first cause I love being on my bike and get the added health benefit of aerobic exercise, assuming a drunken or careless driver doesn't curtail my health activity.

MJ

macdaddy said:
I know SF has a lot of homeless people though that cause problems and it is super expensive. 

I don't see the homeless in SF as a problem... I've never felt unsafe around homeless people in SF, just sometimes annoyed a bit at the panhandling pitches. But they leave you alone as soon as you say no.

It sounds cheesy, but I think the homeless help "keepin it real" in SF... without them it would be exclusively the territory of the upper classes. Since nobody with middle or low salary can afford to live in SF, the homeless are the only ones there who aren't upper middle class or above. The diversity of San Francisco is getting lower and lower as it keeps getting more expensive, which is sad.

I agree with you fireme. I worked in the city for years and although there were a lot of homeless folks, most kept to themselves. A lot of homeless folks are mentally ill living on the streets without their meds. :-\

Here in Chicago, I see lots of homeless older men. Some sit with a cardboard sign, some have a cup that they rattle, and some just ask with a hand stuck out.

Never had a hassle. I look em straight in the eyes and say "No". Homeless seem like part of the fiber of a big city.

SF is lookin good to me.

cube_rat said:
I agree with you fireme. I worked in the city for years and although there were a lot of homeless folks, most kept to themselves. A lot of homeless folks are mentally ill living on the streets without their meds. :-\
That's true. In addition, I believe from my interaction with them and from what I've read, a good number of them are the damaged that made it out of Nam. I've always felt that they need to be honored for their service too. I'm also convinced that future damaged/homeless are being created over in the middle east the last few years.

I lived in Houston for two years during the end of the eighties Oil boom

I loved the people that I got to know but didn't care much for the very humid weather there. Many people from Texas are very open and gracious. It shouldn't be too hard to make friends there. Summers are so humid you'll stay indoors during daylight hours. Nights are OK after it cools off some. Winters are cold enough to be inside but nothing like Chicago. Snow is something you go visit. However we got about a quarter inch of snow one morning and it was the biggest deal. One of my co-workers called in late to ask me if it was safe to drive in.

There is no state income tax and real estate and rents are low. So your money goes along way.

The best food from Texas is either Tex-Mex southwest, Texas barbecue, or that great gulf seafood. Personally I think that gulf seafood is as good as it gets anywhere.

when I was there 20 years ago I was pretty young and stupid. My friends and I did lots of drinking and clubbing. when I was there they had no open container drinking laws and lots of drive-through liquor stores. That was very convienient then and it seemed like great fun at the time. I hear that the open container laws have changed since.
Did I mention that I did alot of drinking there !

If you are single then you'll notice that Houston and Texas women take better care of themselves than other parts of the country. My perception is that the women stay slim and the men let themselves go. But people there tend to be a little more conservative than some other areas.

If I was to go back to Houston I'd buy one of those lakefront houses or condos at beautiful Lake Conroe just North of Houston and get a boat.

If you are a golfer there are lots of golf-based communities where you could buy a house on a fairway for not too much of an unreasonable sum.

Other areas that you may be interested is down by the University (either Rice or U of H).

I only went to Galveston once. It wasn't that great and to this day I wonder why Glen Cambell wrote that song. The beach is made of clay/mud so it's not great to layout on. The pool at my apartment was much better. Also the pool at my apartment was close to my refrigerator so that we could do alot of drinking.

- You'll definitely need a car in Houston they use pedestrians for target practice.  ;)

Did you have a specific question ?

MasterBlaster,
Thanks, that covered it well. I'm always toying with getting a boat so Conroe. Sounds good.

But, the humidity, temp and need for a car are kinda show stoppers.

Thanks for the skinny on Houston.

OAP,

We lived in Clear Lake City in the early 80's. It is possible to walk where you need to in CLC depending on where you live. It is flat so biking is possible and the traffic is relatively light in the neighborhoods. The big secret is that it is also the highest ground for 50 miles, so flooding is much less than other parts (some near by!).

Negatives: It does get hot and humid. The air conditioning bills were killers, sometimes equalling our mortgage payments. In the summer it rains in the afternoon--hard. Flooding is a common problem. Then of course there are the cockroaches and the mosquitos. And snakes in the pool and in the backyard. Watch when you mow. Every once in a while you will get a hurricane or tornado, but not often. Clear Lake City often has a breeze when Houston is just hot. (Clear Lake City is part of Houston city, it should be noted.)

I think I would rather live in Pensacola, FL (having worked there for three months once). A small town with a little bit of everything. The population is very mixed as it is a Navy town with an Army weapons testing ground due east of town and a VA hospital. Many service people retire there. There was a small college and it even had a hockey team! Same weather issues as Clear Lake City, maybe more breezes. Lots of fishing and boats. Good seafood!!! A few good Louisiana/Mississippi cuisine restaurants. Great beaches even after the hurricanes (but I have not been back after the last one). I liked it better than Houston, me. One would probably need a vehicle, but you wouldn't have to live in it like in Houston.

Cheers.

Ed (now Ed The Troll :angel: )

Ed_The_Gypsy said:
... It does get hot and humid. The air conditioning bills were killers, sometimes equalling our mortgage payments. In the summer it rains in the afternoon--hard. Flooding is a common problem. Then of course there are the cockroaches and the mosquitos. And snakes in the pool and in the backyard. Watch when you mow. Every once in a while you will get a hurricane or tornado, but not often...

Ol_Rancher would tell you it's just like the Hill Country...without the hills. ;)

Houston ! Yeah, move to Houston, where on a summer's eve you can sit on a lawn chair in the still of the night, not eager to move because the sweat beads on your forehead below wetness of your hair and drips from your chin while the buzz of mosquitos drowns out the 24/7 roar of your neighbors dual Lennox 2 ton air conditioning units.

But you are going to enjoy that $6,000 new patio no matter what!

Enjoy!

Ol_Rancher nailed it.

Visit Pensacola. Check it out. Take a look at Panama City, FL, and one or two other spots on Florida's panhandle. You might like one. Better than the steambath that is Houston. :crazy:

Did anyone mention Bellingham, WA?

Very bike friendly. Case in point, there is an old guy who wobbles everywhere around town on an old resistance bicycle. (My daughter says he a relative of someone she knows--a little around the bend, but he is in VERY good shape.) VERY big mountain biking place. Also kyaking, downhill skiing, sailing, scuba. No income tax. Beautiful setting. WWU and a couple of good community colleges. Good shopping. Good publilc library, good university library. Enterprise has weekend specials. Bus system OK. Close to the CND border for lower cost meds. Relatively close to Hong Couver, Chinese Columbia, for international flights (Mexico and Chile that I know of) much cheaper than flying out of Seattle.

On the negative side, it rains a little and the rain is cold. Also, getting a physician in town if you are already on Medicare is impossible. Some have to go to neighboring towns for a sawbones.

I like it. It would be nice to live here again. (Back this weekend to get another work permit, for Cowtown, AB, this time.)

Gypsy

Ol_Rancher,
That patio scene is enough to send me running and maybe I can catch up with Ed before he dissapears back over the border to Canada.

Hongcouver is one of the places I've been placing an eyeball on. I loves me some Chinese food.

Well, since this thread had lots of good suggestions on SF, I thought I's comment on what I've found so far.

1. It's a bit too hilly near Nob Hill and I can hear the ole knees creaking.
2. A $45/mo Muni pass gets you on all the local transport, big variety.
3. The iconic trolley are too few and far between to be useful.
4. Weather has been spectacular. Cool sunny breezy.
5. One year here is not going to allow me to even scratch the surface.

SF is a great choice for someone who enjoys being out and about.

Ed_The_Gypsy said:
Did anyone mention Bellingham, WA?

I spent summers in Bellingham when growing up. I love it but it's become very expensive.

Back
Top Bottom