Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Pedestrain City Recommendations?
Old 02-23-2006, 05:36 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just one last request. Has anyone ever lived in Houston or Galveston?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2006, 07:06 PM   #62

I lived in Houston for two years during the end of the eighties Oil boom

I loved the people that I got to know but didn't care much for the very humid weather there. Many people from Texas are very open and gracious. It shouldn't be too hard to make friends there. Summers are so humid you'll stay indoors during daylight hours. Nights are OK after it cools off some. Winters are cold enough to be inside but nothing like Chicago. Snow is something you go visit. However we got about a quarter inch of snow one morning and it was the biggest deal. One of my co-workers called in late to ask me if it was safe to drive in.

There is no state income tax and real estate and rents are low. So your money goes along way.

The best food from Texas is either Tex-Mex southwest, Texas barbecue, or that great gulf seafood. Personally I think that gulf seafood is as good as it gets anywhere.

when I was there 20 years ago I was pretty young and stupid. My friends and I did lots of drinking and clubbing. when I was there they had no open container drinking laws and lots of drive-through liquor stores. That was very convienient then and it seemed like great fun at the time. I hear that the open container laws have changed since.
Did I mention that I did alot of drinking there !

If you are single then you'll notice that Houston and Texas women take better care of themselves than other parts of the country. My perception is that the women stay slim and the men let themselves go. But people there tend to be a little more conservative than some other areas.

If I was to go back to Houston I'd buy one of those lakefront houses or condos at beautiful Lake Conroe just North of Houston and get a boat.

If you are a golfer there are lots of golf-based communities where you could buy a house on a fairway for not too much of an unreasonable sum.

Other areas that you may be interested is down by the University (either Rice or U of H).

I only went to Galveston once. It wasn't that great and to this day I wonder why Glen Cambell wrote that song. The beach is made of clay/mud so it's not great to layout on. The pool at my apartment was much better. Also the pool at my apartment was close to my refrigerator so that we could do alot of drinking.

- You'll definitely need a car in Houston they use pedestrians for target practice.*

Did you have a specific question ?

Old 02-23-2006, 07:41 PM   #63

MasterBlaster,
Thanks, that covered it well. I'm always toying with getting a boat so Conroe. Sounds good.

But, the humidity, temp and need for a car are kinda show stoppers.

Thanks for the skinny on Houston.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:29 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

OAP,

We lived in Clear Lake City in the early 80's. It is possible to walk where you need to in CLC depending on where you live. It is flat so biking is possible and the traffic is relatively light in the neighborhoods. The big secret is that it is also the highest ground for 50 miles, so flooding is much less than other parts (some near by!).

Negatives: It does get hot and humid. The air conditioning bills were killers, sometimes equalling our mortgage payments. In the summer it rains in the afternoon--hard. Flooding is a common problem. Then of course there are the cockroaches and the mosquitos. And snakes in the pool and in the backyard. Watch when you mow. Every once in a while you will get a hurricane or tornado, but not often. Clear Lake City often has a breeze when Houston is just hot. (Clear Lake City is part of Houston city, it should be noted.)

I think I would rather live in Pensacola, FL (having worked there for three months once). A small town with a little bit of everything. The population is very mixed as it is a Navy town with an Army weapons testing ground due east of town and a VA hospital. Many service people retire there. There was a small college and it even had a hockey team! Same weather issues as Clear Lake City, maybe more breezes. Lots of fishing and boats. Good seafood!!! A few good Louisiana/Mississippi cuisine restaurants. Great beaches even after the hurricanes (but I have not been back after the last one). I liked it better than Houston, me. One would probably need a vehicle, but you wouldn't have to live in it like in Houston.

Cheers.

Ed (now Ed The Troll )
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 09:36 PM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy
... It does get hot and humid. The air conditioning bills were killers, sometimes equalling our mortgage payments. In the summer it rains in the afternoon--hard. Flooding is a common problem. Then of course there are the cockroaches and the mosquitos. And snakes in the pool and in the backyard. Watch when you mow. Every once in a while you will get a hurricane or tornado, but not often...
Ol_Rancher would tell you it's just like the Hill Country...without the hills.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 09:54 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

Houston ! Yeah, move to Houston, where on a summer's eve you can sit on a lawn chair in the still of the night, not eager to move because the sweat beads on your forehead below wetness of your hair and drips from your chin while the buzz of mosquitos drowns out the 24/7 roar of your neighbors dual Lennox 2 ton air conditioning units.

But you are going to enjoy that $6,000 new patio no matter what!

Enjoy!
Ol&#039; Rancher<br /><br />I wake up in the morning with nothing to do, and by the end of the day, I feel lucky if I&#039;ve gotten less than half of it done.
Ol_Rancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 09:14 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Ol_Rancher nailed it.

Visit Pensacola. Check it out. Take a look at Panama City, FL, and one or two other spots on Florida's panhandle. You might like one. Better than the steambath that is Houston.

Old 02-24-2006, 09:48 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Did anyone mention Bellingham, WA?

Very bike friendly. Case in point, there is an old guy who wobbles everywhere around town on an old resistance bicycle. (My daughter says he a relative of someone she knows--a little around the bend, but he is in VERY good shape.) VERY big mountain biking place. Also kyaking, downhill skiing, sailing, scuba. No income tax. Beautiful setting. WWU and a couple of good community colleges. Good shopping. Good publilc library, good university library. Enterprise has weekend specials. Bus system OK. Close to the CND border for lower cost meds. Relatively close to Hong Couver, Chinese Columbia, for international flights (Mexico and Chile that I know of) much cheaper than flying out of Seattle.

On the negative side, it rains a little and the rain is cold. Also, getting a physician in town if you are already on Medicare is impossible. Some have to go to neighboring towns for a sawbones.

I like it. It would be nice to live here again. (Back this weekend to get another work permit, for Cowtown, AB, this time.)

Gypsy
Old 02-24-2006, 09:57 AM   #69

Ol_Rancher,
That patio scene is enough to send me running and maybe I can catch up with Ed before he dissapears back over the border to Canada.

Hongcouver is one of the places I've been placing an eyeball on. I loves me some Chinese food.
Old 05-14-2006, 12:38 PM   #70

Well, since this thread had lots of good suggestions on SF, I thought I's comment on what I've found so far.

1. It's a bit too hilly near Nob Hill and I can hear the ole knees creaking.
2. A $45/mo Muni pass gets you on all the local transport, big variety.
3. The iconic trolley are too few and far between to be useful.
4. Weather has been spectacular. Cool sunny breezy.
5. One year here is not going to allow me to even scratch the surface.

SF is a great choice for someone who enjoys being out and about.
Old 05-14-2006, 01:39 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy
Did anyone mention Bellingham, WA?
I spent summers in Bellingham when growing up. I love it but it's become very expensive.