Join Early Retirement Today

Pedometers and 10,000 steps
Old 10-17-2006, 01:06 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Pedometers and 10,000 steps

I finally bought a pedometer to measure how many steps I walk a day. One of the latest fitness fads is to be sure to walk 10,000 steps a day.

Well, I have had it four full days. My stats are 16,228, 16019, 24424, and 17106. The days were fairly active, but no long walks or anything like that. On the 24,424 day I painted a room and was up and down the ladder a lot. The pedometer if anything is underestimating my steps. Frankly, 10,000 steps doesnt seem like a whole lot.

Anyone else use these things? Is it helpful?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Pedometers and 10,000 steps
Old 10-17-2006, 01:08 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Martha isn't it that you're suppose to track your everyday steps then add 10,000 to that?

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 01:11 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

According to this web site the goal is a total of 10,000 steps: http://www.thewalkingsite.com/10000steps.html

The web site says that sedentary people may average only 1000 to 3000 steps a day.

Old 10-17-2006, 01:17 PM   #4

If I had to choose between a pedometer and a HR monitor, I'd choose a HR monitor. Although the pedometer helps a person to become cognizant of physical acitivity (anything that helps a person start an exercise program is great), a HR monitor can help gauge your level of fitness and recovery rate. Anyway, that's just my opinion.

Edit: It's "choose" not "chose" :P
Old 10-17-2006, 01:18 PM   #5

I would suppose if you're a very sedentary person working up to 10,000 steps a day would be very helpful but when you're already at that or exceeding it would adding more give you as much benefit?

Old 10-17-2006, 01:20 PM   #6

I loved my HR monitor, I should get it fixed or buy a new one.

Old 10-17-2006, 01:22 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

It seems that way, Ottahere. Cube is probably right. At this point I would get more out of a heart rate monitor. But for some reason, checking my heart rate creeps me out.

At least the pedometer was only $5.99 at Walgreens. I'll keep it on for a while longer to see how I average.

Old 10-17-2006, 01:25 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Martha
As I recall, you live in the Twin Cities. Do you walk in the neighborhood (to the store, park, etc). That might add to your activity.

We aren't in an urban area, so have to make palns to walk and get out, whereas friends and family who do live in the city are able to walk all over and get some good exercise in their daily routine.
Tio z
uncledrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 01:27 PM   #9

I like my pedometer, I use it every few months to see how I'm doing and to check my treadmil to see if the milage is still accurate. The HR monitor is strange to get use to but it sure does show you if you're working too hard or not hard enough. I had been walking 4 to 5 miles a day and thought I was getting my HR up there, I bought a monitor and boy was I surprised at the results. In order for me to get my HR into range I had to run, walking wasn't cutting it even going up hills.

Old 10-17-2006, 07:17 PM   #10

Speaking about a HR monitor which I don't own, a couple of days ago, I was updating my Fat Max Zone stats and one of the measurements, I need is my resting HR so I counted it after I woke up. Now, I have never thought of myself as an athlete but I recorded a 40 HR. I was shocked. The best HR I had was 45, which I had 4 years ago when I was weightlifting. I guess riding around hilly Tucson on a folding bike appears to greatly decrease your resting heart rate. Any slower and I'll be dead.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:18 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
I finally bought a pedometer to measure how many steps I walk a day. One of the latest fitness fads is to be sure to walk 10,000 steps a day.

Well, I have had it four full days. My stats are 16,228, 16019, 24424, and 17106. The days were fairly active, but no long walks or anything like that. On the 24,424 day I painted a room and was up and down the ladder a lot. The pedometer if anything is underestimating my steps. Frankly, 10,000 steps doesnt seem like a whole lot.

Anyone else use these things? Is it helpful?
That is a huge number of steps. Using 18,000 a day as your average, you are doing almost 7 miles a day, even if your stride is only 2 feet- a pretty conservative estimate.

Relax, sit down, and ask Sweetie -Pie to mix you a martini.

Ha
Old 10-17-2006, 07:48 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

You're doing a huge number of steps. Really, 10,000 is a large number. You might want to do a calibrated 2 mile walk and see how many steps the pedometer registers. I think for me something 2600 steps = 1 mile.

Congrats on being so active.

Audrey
Old 10-17-2006, 08:51 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Make sure your pedometer is not going "click" when you bend over or move your torso. that can add some steps when you are not stepping.

10,000 is in the neighborhood of 5 miles, no? I am sure I have days when I cover that much ground just cleaning the house and shopping.

Edited to not sound stingy with praise--24,000 steps is a "feat"! Way to go!
LRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 09:09 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

My whole approach to exercised changed when I got a heart rate monitor. Before, I would jog at a pace which I perceived as "right" but which in retrospect was way too fast for my age. I am sure it had me in the 90% of predicted pulse range. Something about all those years of competitive sports in school, the need to "push," and the testosterone thing all combined.

Once I started monitoring my heart rate, I was able to settle into the truly correct pulse range (80-85% max for me), at which pace I barely felt any fatigue. I recover very quickly even after a 50 minute jog, probably have a slow pace of about 10-11 minute miles (guessing). I also feel safer as a middle aged man keeping it moderate in intensity.

OTOH, I don't think it would be very useful (or comfortable) to wear all day. Your pulse can go up briefly for so many reasons besides physical exertion that it would get useless. I'm sure that when I am faced with giving a lecture to 150 medical students all smarter than I am, or faced with a distraught patient, my pulse rises.

BTW, there is a measurement called Heart Rate Recovery where you measure your pulse at near-peak rate, then rest (e.g. 2.5 mph walk) and measure it again at 1 and 2 minutes. If it drops >= 12-20 beats per minute, that is normal. Some believe that this single parameter is almost as good a predictor of sudden death or heart attack over the next year as a full blown stress test. <CMA>I am NOT advising this for anyone without an OK from their personal doctor (it can be dangerous to exercise to peak heart rate if you have previously silent coronary disease) or even a properly supervised cardiac stress test</CMA> but it is interesting.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 09:22 PM   #15

Don't forget to take off your pedometer if you take a vacation in Washington, D.C., especially if you do the whole Capitol tour thing. It could show an unnaturally high number...
Cool Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 10:01 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Make sure your pedometer is not going "click" when you bend over or move your torso.
When I get home, the stuffed beaver is going to want to comment on this.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:35 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
When I get home, the stuffed beaver is going to want to comment on this.
Reminds me of the library scene from the old Leslie Neilson (sp?)
movie...."Nice Beaver!".

JG
Old 10-18-2006, 05:05 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabond
Speaking about a HR monitor which I don't own, a couple of days ago, I was updating my Fat Max Zone stats and one of the measurements, I need is my resting HR so I counted it after I woke up. Now, I have never thought of myself as an athlete but I recorded a 40 HR. I was shocked. The best HR I had was 45, which I had 4 years ago when I was weightlifting. I guess riding around hilly Tucson on a folding bike appears to greatly decrease your resting heart rate. Any slower and I'll be dead.
Yep, 40 would scare the hell out of me (and surprise those who don't think I have a heart).

JG
Old 10-18-2006, 05:34 AM   #19

Rich that was the same thing I found when I used mine, I was either not working hard enough or working too hard. I have to get another one, I'd forgotten how much it helped me and I'm sure I'm way off the mark now without monitoring myself.

Old 10-18-2006, 05:44 AM   #20

I used to jog some when I was younger (never seriously). After I retired
I took regular daily walks of several miles. Alas, I had to cut back on that as well.
I actually feel more sorry for the dog than myself, although she is gettin'
older too.

An aside. My brother is also a "former" jogger. He had to cut back for health reasons like I did. However, he maintains a fitness regimen.
As far as I know he still does like 200 situps a day. The only time I "sit up" is to make another manhattan. Be interesting to see which system works
better.

JG