Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-24-2013, 03:22 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 447
Thanks for the background on OS/360. Very interesting. I had no idea that applications written in the '60s would still run on current IBM machines. Explains a lot!
__________________

__________________
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2013, 03:29 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 11,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Thanks for the background on OS/360. Very interesting. I had no idea that applications written in the '60s would still run on current IBM machines. Explains a lot!
Filed under "Ye Olde Apps"......
__________________

__________________
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:29 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Rustward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
One thing I have considered doing for the card I use and hand over is to erase the security number on the back and write in a new one that will mean something to me but not a thief. eg if code is 569 I would replace it with 670 (each digit +1) or 965 (reverse the digits).


Good idea or bad?
That will protect you if someone steals the card or looks at it over your shoulder. If that happened a lot, a lot of fraud could be linked to a single merchant, and those merchants probably have tracking information that would link back to a specific employee (restaurant server #, cashier ID, etc.) I would think those would be pretty easy to find, unless perp was doing this very infrequently.

After the card is scanned, if you are in a big box store, your card information probably goes through the merchant's system then gets forwarded to a processor. Mom and pop places usually rent a scanner from their processor of choice, so a scanned card transaction there goes directly to a processor. The processor is independent of the merchant (store that accepts your card) and the issuing bank. The processor (think big data center with lots of processing and comms capability) is sort of a broker that connects the merchant with the card issuing bank, and the bank back with the merchant. A lot of the larger data breaches in the past have happened in the processor, where it is more difficult to correlate fraud incidents that seemingly have no connection to any one merchant, or any one issuing bank. There are people in these places that do indeed have access to your card data, and there is a risk. I was one of them for a while, in a bank, not a processor, though.

Something may be happening in the industry, because we do not seem to hear of these massive data breaches lately, but fraud is definitely still happening.
__________________
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:44 PM   #64
Moderator Emeritus
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 7,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post

Something may be happening in the industry, because we do not seem to hear of these massive data breaches lately, but fraud is definitely still happening.
The last three instances of my CC getting ripped off and used (almost immediately) happened at the following:

1. Grand Hyatt, San Juan, PR - card scanned at front desk - next morning $18,000 was scurrying out of electronics stores in Croatia. AMEX tracked me down and asked me where I was.

2. Holiday Inn, San Antonio, TX - checked in and went to room. 30 minutes later checked my CC online and had two new transactions for ~$800 each that were posted that night. Front desk crew responsible.

3. Mexican restaurant, Cary, NC - paid for dinner, handed the card to the waiter. Next day had $600 charged to online merchant in CT.

My latest is with PenFed Visa as $1764.00 was charged in California for StubHub purchase of tickets (6/2013). This one came out of nowhere.

These are probably not processing center ripoffs, but the PenFed one has me wondering.
__________________
......."Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." -- philosopher Mike Tyson.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:45 PM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Rustward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Thanks for the background on OS/360. Very interesting. I had no idea that applications written in the '60s would still run on current IBM machines. Explains a lot!
Just to be clear, while it is technically possible for older code to still work, it is unlikely that there is very much that was written in the 60's that has not been updated in some way -- for example, ISAM (a file access method that was bad when it was introduced would likely have been converted to VSAM, and later, VSAM might have been converted to a database) etc.

The irony is that this upward compatibility that gave the platform such a long life is now making it difficult for organizations to move on to newer stuff.

Old and obsolete -- the ugly duckling it has become -- it was pretty good to me.
__________________
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:51 PM   #66
Moderator
Alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Eee Bah Gum
Posts: 21,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
The last three instances of my CC getting ripped off and used (almost immediately) happened at the following:

1. Grand Hyatt, San Juan, PR - card scanned at front desk - next morning $18,000 was scurrying out of electronics stores in Croatia. AMEX tracked me down and asked me where I was.

2. Holiday Inn, San Antonio, TX - checked in and went to room. 30 minutes later checked my CC online and had two new transactions for ~$800 each that were posted that night. Front desk crew responsible.

3. Mexican restaurant, Cary, NC - paid for dinner, handed the card to the waiter. Next day had $600 charged to online merchant in CT.

My latest is with PenFed Visa as $1764.00 was charged in California for StubHub purchase of tickets (6/2013). This one came out of nowhere.

These are probably not processing center ripoffs, but the PenFed one has me wondering.
This last one of mine was either patient thieves or a processing center ripoff. The fraud happened in New York City and Atlanta, almost 3 months after I had left the country. I did use my Penfed twice while in Ireland in May but had not used it for over 3 weeks when the fraud started.
__________________
Retired in Jan, 2010 at 55, moved to England in May 2016
Now it's adventure before dementia
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:00 PM   #67
Moderator Emeritus
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 7,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
This last one of mine was either patient thieves or a processing center ripoff. The fraud happened in New York City and Atlanta, almost 3 months after I had left the country. I did use my Penfed twice while in Ireland in May but had not used it for over 3 weeks when the fraud started.
It's almost like you are somewhat helpless against some of the fraud. As you and other mentioned previously, things won't get better here until the U.S. adopts the chip and pin security concept.
__________________

__________________
......."Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." -- philosopher Mike Tyson.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:20 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.