Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Portfolio or Pension ?
$2 million portfolio 33 41.77%
$80,000 yearly pension with COLA 32 40.51%
Not sure 14 17.72%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-23-2010, 07:44 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

The vast majority of us won't have either choice so what's the point?
keegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2010, 07:47 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I love the comments that any poll or simple question bring out.

Well, it all depends on the meaning of is...

Ha
Old 10-23-2010, 08:07 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

To me it is a no brainer - I chose the government option - for the peace of mind standpoint.

Let's assume you retire at 55 and estimate you will live 30 years to 85 - no health care, no social security, and you don't care about leaving any money at death.

Yes, I might be able to manage the $2M over that 30 years to match the government plan. But, I would probably have to spend much of the principle over that time to keep up with the gov't pension and I would have to assume risk.

Think of it this way with the gov't pension -
No risk of default
No market risk - stocks/bond
No bad investment risk (my stupidity)
No aging risk (meaning as I age I might not be able to manage the $)
No potential increase in taxes risk on capital gains, dividends, other stock/bond etc.
No inflation risk
Old 10-23-2010, 08:18 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Does no healthcare mean no Medicare? If so then is anyone over 60 insurable?
keegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:18 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by keegs View Post
The vast majority of us won't have either choice so what's the point?
Maybe you won't have to choose between such a large pension and portfolio, but whatever amount of savings you can realistically think about accumulating, you will have a choice between keeping it as an investment portfolio, using the money to buy an annuity for lifetime income, or some combination of the two. Which looks best to you?
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:20 PM   #26
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by keegs View Post
Does no healthcare mean no Medicare? If so then is anyone over 60 insurable?

No health care does not include medicare . It means you are not getting health insurance as a perk .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:25 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Since I am now 46 and ESRd at 43 I would take the $2mil. Our plan was always to build enough to quite early and a pension at 55 was not early enough. I'll just say the $2mil and our portfolio are similar numbers now. We also have Pensions awaiting us at 55 reduced or 62 Full and that combination is what we needed to pull the trigger. A hopefully sufficient portfolio and pensions is the combination we were blessed enough to end up with and it is what we worked towards.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:56 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherman View Post
Since I am now 46 and ESRd at 43 I would take the $2mil. Our plan was always to build enough to quite early and a pension at 55 was not early enough. I'll just say the $2mil and our portfolio are similar numbers now. We also have Pensions awaiting us at 55 reduced or 62 Full and that combination is what we needed to pull the trigger. A hopefully sufficient portfolio and pensions is the combination we were blessed enough to end up with and it is what we worked towards.
i thought the question was: Right now, what ever your age, which would you rather have a 2 million dollar portfolio or an $80,000 pension that is paying right now, with cost of living adjustments but no health care ?

did i misunderstand?
jdw_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:03 PM   #29

Portfolio. Not even close.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:09 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingInvestor View Post
Portfolio. Not even close.
Why the portfolio? I'm just curious.
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 12:17 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Another great point . I guess it has to be 100% survival to make it a reasonable choice . The reason I was wondering about this is because I have a pension and assets but during the melt down it was the security of the pension that let me sleep at night .
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Voted not sure.
It's too bad there is no 3rd choice: half and half, meaning $1M in the pocket and $40K/yr COLA'ed.
I am sure someone here has that half-n-half combination.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
Maybe you won't have to choose between such a large pension and portfolio, but whatever amount of savings you can realistically think about accumulating, you will have a choice between keeping it as an investment portfolio, using the money to buy an annuity for lifetime income, or some combination of the two. Which looks best to you?
In my younger years I would've taken the portfolio and immediately set out to beat Warren Buffett's record.

Now that I'm wiser older I'd take the portfolio and annuitize a portion of it.

Pretty much what's happening now...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 06:20 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I chose the pension because my goal leans more toward the reliable/protected income need than "Pot-o-Money".

But I actually prefer a hybrid approach!

I intend to have my cake and eat it too!

Using SS, pension (no cola), and the nest egg...

Build a reliable base income stream and keep some of nest egg.

Why? Base income covered and flexibility to spend the excess money when I choose.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 07:32 AM   #33

Portfolio. They both work about the same during retirement but the pension has no value at the end. The portfolio would most likely be worth more than $2M in today's dollars when you are done with it. I'm happy with the risk, which is really not much with a diversified portfolio and the ability to reduce spending if necessary. Also, the pension has no flexibility for major expenses (new car, new roof, medical bills...) unless they occur later in retirement after you've been saving up.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 07:40 AM   #34

I am given to impetuous decision making, and this morning I would choose the $2 million dollars in the hand and immediately book several trips with that R. Crusoe travel mentioned in another post!
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 07:56 AM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
To me it is a no brainer - I chose the government option - for the peace of mind standpoint.
To me it was a no brainer too and I chose the cash. I don't trust the federal government to follow through on their promises and they are the ones who determine the COLA rate and therefore it is subject to manipulation. I'll take the cash and the control thanks.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:01 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

I don't have a pension of any kind, but still a tough call so I voted not sure. There are advantages, disadvantages and risks with either - like life in general...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:04 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTravlin View Post
To me it was a no brainer too and I chose the cash. I don't trust the federal government to follow through on their promises and they are the ones who determine the COLA rate and therefore it is subject to manipulation. I'll take the cash and the control thanks.
From the standpoint of control,I think the Government's control - tax, regulation - and public's willingness to demonize business is a greater threat to investors than pensioners.

The pensioners are people (and can vote) and are given automatic 'victim' status. While businesses (stocks/bonds) are automatically given 'evil' status so tax, regulate them.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:06 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
There are advantages, disadvantages and risks with either
Is there anything in life that you can think of that the above does not apply?
Old 10-24-2010, 08:08 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
Is there anything in life that you can think of that the above does not apply?
That's why the full sentence quote was "There are advantages, disadvantages and risks with either - like life in general..."

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:13 AM   #40
Gone but not forgotten

A point I had not considered but if you take the 2 million and get divorced or sued you lose a lot of it but with the pension your money is safer .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote