Join Early Retirement Today

Pension question!!
Old 01-31-2008, 07:35 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Pension question!!

Wow, I never thought that I would post that one!

My megapharma division was bought out several times during my 23 years. While I was fortunate and survived the buyouts - my pension opportunities were "smashed"--or so I thought. The last pharma company I worked for launched a new HR portal/401K info website. I visited to check on balances etc. and was surprised to see many new options - I hit pension benefit...and was shocked at what I have coming (and alittle ashamed to admit to this group-that I did not know
I will re-read 4 pillars...and.... 4 hail Marys .
The company counted my tenture through the last purchase co. hire date and I found a nice little surprise.

My main question- If you take a lump sum - is it rolled over to an IRA or is it taxed? If I can roll it.....I pretty much have decided, but:

Here is the breakdown - would you take the monthly benefit or the lump sum...and when? I did not add age 65 because it seems unlikely to pay off - and I have a good SS payment coming around that time.
I should add that so far - 19 months ER I am on track and pulling around 3% for expenses.

Age 55 age 60

Monthly $799 $1,310

Lump $148,665 $204,231

Thanks in advance,

Donzo
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2008, 07:46 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You have the option to roll to an IRA. I suggest a direct transfer and keep it out of the twilight zone which exposes you to the time constraint and having to replace the mandatory witholding as well as the 10% penalty should you err and not have in an IRA within the 60 day timeframe.

Personally I would roll to and IRA if you do not absolutely need the money to live today... It will be taxed when you do withdrawals. Let it compound for a while and enjoy life when you chose to draw on it.

Congrats that all of corp America is not screwing you over!

Also, what is you current age? I assumed about 50 for my opinion!!!
crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 07:58 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy connie View Post
You have the option to roll to an IRA. I suggest a direct transfer and keep it out of the twilight zone which exposes you to the time constraint and having to replace the mandatory witholding as well as the 10% penalty should you err and not have in an IRA within the 60 day timeframe.

Personally I would roll to and IRA if you do not absolutely need the money to live today... It will be taxed when you do withdrawals. Let it compound for a while and enjoy life when you chose to draw on it.
That would be my suggestion as well. I had a 'spousal refund' from my pension which was a rather significant amount that I put in a Rollover IRA. That way I didn't have to be concerned about the 10% penalty or the 20% fed tax they'd automatically hold out. It'll stay put there for at least 9 more years...probably more....growing.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 08:40 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy connie View Post

Congrats that all of corp America is not screwing you over!

Also, what is you current age? I assumed about 50 for my opinion!!!
Hey Connie, I was surprised that I was'nt getting screwed by the co. also! In all the other buyouts they did whatever they could to keep bennies off the table......
I am glad to hear that the lump can be rolled over to an IRA - tax free!
I am now 51 - I retired in my late 49th year
Old 02-01-2008, 08:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
That would be my suggestion as well. I had a 'spousal refund' from my pension which was a rather significant amount that I put in a Rollover IRA. That way I didn't have to be concerned about the 10% penalty or the 20% fed tax they'd automatically hold out. It'll stay put there for at least 9 more years...probably more....growing.
Thanks Goonie, I think I will take the lump as soon as I am eligible and roll to my Vanguard IRA and let it grow as you suggest. If I leave it with the co.it grows about 5% per year - I should be able to beat that.....
I am glad it can have IRA protection from taxes - this made my week!
Old 02-01-2008, 09:05 AM   #6
Gone but not forgotten

I also had a lump sum . I rolled it over into a Vanguard IRA . They'll walk you thru the whole process and I've done a lot better than 5% .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 09:27 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

OP - Make sure you don't lose out on Medical Bennies or access to them if you roll it (if you get Medical). I think my plan says something to the effect that they no longer need to cover me or they eliminate their subsidization<-is that a word??.
BigBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 10:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBob View Post
OP - Make sure you don't lose out on Medical Bennies or access to them if you roll it (if you get Medical). I think my plan says something to the effect that they no longer need to cover me or they eliminate their subsidization<-is that a word??.
BigBob, I would have had to stay until 55yo to get medical bennies - I prob. would have died staying 5 more years in that toxic position or at least really need the bennies earned......

This lump will go a long way towards paying for my $5,000. deductable health insurance til medicare. It is money I did not expect - what a treat!