Friendlier than normal 6 14.29%
Not as friendly 14 33.33%
The same as people in other states 20 47.62%
I don't know, I've never been 2 4.76%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-20-2009, 03:48 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisinthru View Post
Seriously, I have many friends here in Texas that are originally from California that are very friendly.
Guilty!

Speaking of being an ex-Californian (lived there until '03), my wife was our running errands and she had to call me when she found something today at the store we hadn't seen since moving to Texas: six-packs of Gordon Biersch. She had to get me a couple of those. That takes me back to the days when we used to take the light rail system into downtown San Jose and hang out before a Sharks game and pound a couple of pints of GB and some garlic fries.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2009, 04:50 PM   #22
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
They may be friendly, but usually you gotta get thru that California attitude first. That superiority that they possess drives me crazy. My husband is a native Californian. He agrees. He gets so tired of people he meets asking why in the heck he left California for Texas. Why would anyone leave such a paradise for such a horrible place like Texas. (This is ReWaho's cue to talk about scorpions). Last time this happened he smiled sweetly at the nice lady from California and answered her with his best Texas drawl "Texas Women". See he's from California and he's friendly, gosh I love that man.

Seriously, I have many friends here in Texas that are originally from California that are very friendly. I don't know what they were like when the resided in California.
I say this with a smile, and grin. So don't take seriously, Listen to Gov. Perry, and split from the Union. California would have less competition, and maybe we'll get the next pro-football team here in Los Angeles, that nobody really wants except some rich dud that is building a stadium in Industry. I'm
just another native who ( My ancestors came from North Carolina, and I follow the UNC Tarheals and the Carolina Panthers) if anybody ever ask, I'm sometimes North Carolina or other times with a sheepish grin, LA.
I'm a big clown at heart that likes to say good morning at three in the afternoon. But that just my Californian attitude.
P.S. sometimes the Southern Californians are fighting with the North Californians, because we pay more taxes than they do, and want to split the state in two.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:57 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyM View Post
P.S. sometimes the Southern Californians are fighting with the North Californians, because we pay more taxes than they do, and want to split the state in two.
That's only one side of the story. The North would say they doesn't share the South's perceived Hollywood values (Orange County excepted) and that the South steals all their water.

Usually the people of Northern California who want to split California gerrymander the proposed split to conveniently leave all the cities in the south, including the entire Bay Area and Sacramento. (Plays well in Trinity County, but where's the tax base?) And some of them want to join with southern Oregon to create the new state of Jefferson.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 04:58 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Old 04-20-2009, 05:14 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

This is a thread about the friendly people of California and not about those of us lucky enough to live in Texas, how did Gov. Rick Perry get drug into this fray. To show you how friendly we are here in the Lone Star State we will give you Gov. Perry at no additional charge to you. We will even pay postage. Just don't send us Arnold.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:43 PM   #26
Administrator

Old 04-20-2009, 05:45 PM   #27
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
This is a thread about the friendly people of California and not about those of us lucky enough to live in Texas, how did Gov. Rick Perry get drug into this fray. To show you how friendly we are here in the Lone Star State we will give you Gov. Perry at no additional charge to you. We will even pay postage. Just don't send us Arnold.
Just last week, I was hearing that Gov. Perry, of the great-state of Texas, while addressing the "Tea-Party rally" reminded everyone that Texas reserved the right to succeed when they joined the Union. Mr. Tom Delay, while being interviewed on "Hardball" with Chris Mathew's program on MSNBC tried, without much luck to clarify the remarks.
I told the story with tongue in cheek cause we really do need a football team here in L.A. that nobody wants.
Now, as to you sending us Gov. Perry, I'd rather have Beverly from North Carolina, so let's figure out how we give North Carolina a two for one trade!
Naw, combined, we'd be too much to handle!
Old 04-20-2009, 05:49 PM   #28
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Personally, I like "Home Sweet Alabama" better!
Old 04-20-2009, 06:09 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

I abstained from the poll as my response would have to be "I don't know" but I can't say "I've never been there" as I've been living there for 35 years. I wonder if someone from elsewhere meeting me would take me for a Californian for for a tourist who forgot to go back home.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:14 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

I was born and raised in Northern California. My ancestors came over the Oregon Trail in the 1800's. I love the land and the people...there is a sense of adventure and belonging here amongst natives. For me, much of this feeling comes from experiencing the redwoods, the Sierra Nevada mountains, and, of course, the Pacific coast. I would guess that most people feel similarly about their home states. My attachments have more to do with the physical surroundings, rather than technology (the internet).

In the 1970's I lived in Pennsylvania for 3 years. That was the first time I experienced homesickness. It was freezing in the winter, and muggy in the summer. Plus, I was away from my culture and kin. Actually, I felt stuck, and didn't appreciate PA as much as I could have if I were on vacation.

Every place has its gifts - but, it is always nice to come back home....

Latecomer