Join Early Retirement Today

Percolator Coffee Love
Old 07-09-2012, 10:05 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Percolator Coffee Love

I have been a dedicated coffee drinker most of my adult life. I enjoy a pot (or so) every day and have been doing so for decades. I always assumed due to what I have read that drip coffee was the best way to make coffee. I never questioned that thinking.

In another forum I peruse they were discussing what model and how best to use a coffee percolator. Their discussion got me really interested so I did some research. Evidently, in spite of what the "experts" think there is a very loyal minority following of percolator coffee.

That thread got me interested so I bought a (slightly) used percolator online just to try it out. It arrived last Tuesday and since I was off all last week I have been brewing and enjoying a pot every day. Percolator coffee has a different taste than drip coffee. It's "richer" and "nuttier" tasting.

I am just delighted with my purchase. I'll never go back to drip coffee.

If you do a little searching on the internet you can find lots of blogs that describe how some people really think that percolator coffee is better. the link below is but one example:

http://reviews.ebay.com/Coffee-Perco...00000005695846

Is anyone else here a percolator coffee fan ?
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2012, 10:32 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I'm a bit of a coffee freak. Espresso machine, Chemex glass drip brewer, and... The Pyrex Flameware percolator! The percolator is all glass except for the perforated metal disk on the bottom of the grounds basket. Glass stem, pot, lid, and handle.

This thing doesn't leave a metallic aftertaste that I usually associate with percolators. I brew with a coarse ground French Roast coffee, boiling for about 7 minutes, and really like the results. Plus, it's just fun to watch.
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:12 AM   #3
gone traveling

I think I still have a small 2 cup glass percolator somewhere in the kitchen, and now you've "perked" my curiosity to give it a taste test. Thanks for bringing this up.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:28 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

While I like percolator coffee better than drip coffee, the drip is more convenient and faster so that is what we use.

We did lose power last week so I ended up making cowboy coffee on the gas range and it was fine. I may get a smal percolator so that we can have better quality coffee when the power goes out.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:38 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
The Pyrex Flameware percolator! The percolator is all glass except for the perforated metal disk on the bottom of the grounds basket. Glass stem, pot, lid, and handle.

This thing doesn't leave a metallic aftertaste that I usually associate with percolators. I brew with a coarse ground French Roast coffee, boiling for about 7 minutes, and really like the results. Plus, it's just fun to watch.
That Pyrex pot brings back lots of memories. My Mom used one of those all the time when I was a kid. One time, she got distracted and left the pot to boil dry. It eventually broke all over the stove. She had a new one within a week.
lowflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:38 PM   #6

The percolator sure seems to garner the disdain of coffee snobs, but my parents always used one (a Farberware) and I have fond memories of it. I don't recall the coffee tasting terrible, although they made it far too weak for my current tastes. There's something about the sound that's comforting. Or maybe just the cute word "percolator." perk! perk!
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:58 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I use both drip and percolator at the mancave. If generator is running and I want coffee, Mr DripJob. Most of the time the gen set is off.

Then coffee is made in a vintage percolator. On a propane gas stove rescued from a storm demolished RV trailer. Depending on distractions the brew is light or very potent. Seems robustness is dependent on how many times the stuff went around and around.

Edit add: Of course there is always the old method. A handful of coffee in a pot, add water, boil, pour gently so the grounds stay in the pot.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Edit add: Of course there is always the old method. A handful of coffee in a pot, add water, boil, pour gently so the grounds stay in the pot.
An old farmer friend of my parents used to boil his eggs for breakfast in the coffee.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:55 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
An old farmer friend of my parents used to boil his eggs for breakfast in the coffee.

I have done that a few times when very low on water supply.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:14 AM   #10

I had another cup of percolator coffee driving in today (using my trusty travel mug).

Then I got to work and poured myself a freshly made cup of drip coffee made here at work in the (expensive) Bunn machine. The brand of coffee is exactly the same in each.

yet the percolator coffee is heads and tails better.

The comments about percolator sludge are misleading. Any coffee that sits for hours will be worse (drip or otherwise).

I, like many here, had the very same opinion of what percolator coffee was supposed to be. And I was way wrong. My Presto percolator just makes excellant coffee.

Here are links to more fun reading about percolator coffee

Percolator Love | Michael Ruhlman

Percolator re-Love | Michael Ruhlman
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote