Join Early Retirement Today

Percy Sledge Passes Away at 74
Old 04-14-2015, 10:45 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Percy Sledge Passes Away at 74

Percy Sledge, who sang 'When A Man Loves a Woman,' dies

BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) — Percy Sledge, who recorded the classic 1966 soul ballad "When a Man Loves a Woman," has died. He was 74.
East Baton Rouge Parish, Louisiana Coroner Dr. William "Beau" Clark confirmed to The Associated Press that Sledge died early Tuesday morning.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2015, 11:11 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

RIP.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:32 PM   #3
Administrator

What a talent, what a loss.

74 seems so young, just 8 years older than me right now. I read on Wikipedia that he died of liver cancer, a dreadful condition that ends so many lives.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 05:25 PM   #4
Confused about dryer sheets

The origin tales for this song are among the best ever:

Quote:
Sledge was an orderly at Colbert County (Alabama) Hospital in the daytime and sang with a local band, The Esquires Combo, at night. As Sledge tells it, one night while performing with The Esquires Combo, he was upset about a woman - a broken relationship - so upset that he couldn't concentrate on the music he was supposed to sing. He was so overcome with emotion as the group started their set in a Sheffield, Alabama club, that he turned to his bass player Calvin Lewis and organ player Andrew Wright and asked them if they could play a slow blues backing - any key, their choice - to which he could sing. After a quick conference (one source indicated that the "conference" consisted of glances and shrugs), the band started to play and Sledge vented in song for about 6 minutes.
So the ad lib lament was heard by a would-be producer in the audience, who signed the band, and they had to go into a studio to try to recreate what they had improvised. Percy gave song writing credit to the backing musicians, and the song went on to earn them millions.

When A Man Loves A Woman by Percy Sledge Songfacts
Old 04-14-2015, 06:54 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

That is possibly the most perfect dance date music ever written . A man could be cross-eyed and have a broken leg, but if he and a woman dance to this song it is clear sailing for romance that night.

Ha.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:09 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Soulful.
The tribute is not complete without some music.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:01 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
That is possibly the most perfect dance date music ever written . A man could be cross-eyed and have a broken leg, but if he and a woman dance to this song it is clear sailing for romance that night.

Ha.
I always find it interesting that this song just makes women melt, as you say. Basically, the lyrics say that a woman can treat a man bad, and like a fool, he just comes back for more. Hmmm, maybe that is why women like it?

some of the lines...
Quote:
If she is bad, he can't see it, she can do no wrong
Turn his back on his best friend if he put her down

When a man loves
a woman, spend his very last dime
Tryin' to hold on to what he needs
He'd give up all his comforts, sleep out in the rain
If she said that's the way it ought to be

Baby, please don't treat me bad

When a man loves a woman, down deep in his soul
She can bring him such misery
If she plays him for a fool, he's the last one to know
Lovin' eyes can't ever see

The other one (I've mentioned in some other thread), is the Eric Clapton 'Wonderful Tonight", which basically says he shows off his trophy wife/gf at a party, gets drunk, she has to drive home, he's too drunk to get himself into bed or make love, but she was 'wonderful' for taking care of this slob.

How romantic!

edit/add: Wow, I didn't realize the chord pattern in almost identical to Whiter Shade of Pale - another classic, but doesn't seem to affect the ladies in the same way.

-ERD50
Old 04-15-2015, 05:38 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I always find it interesting that this song just makes women melt, as you say. Basically, the lyrics say that a woman can treat a man bad, and like a fool, he just comes back for more. Hmmm, maybe that is why women like it?

some of the lines...

The other one (I've mentioned in some other thread), is the Eric Clapton 'Wonderful Tonight", which basically says he shows off his trophy wife/gf at a party, gets drunk, she has to drive home, he's too drunk to get himself into bed or make love, but she was 'wonderful' for taking care of this slob.

How romantic!

edit/add: Wow, I didn't realize the chord pattern in almost identical to Whiter Shade of Pale - another classic, but doesn't seem to affect the ladies in the same way.

-ERD50
In the case of the Percy Sledge song, the effect is also from the insistent rhythm. One thing I know from a long life, women aren't telling us the truth about themselves, most of the time.

More on the theme of mean hearted women and the oh so romantic suffrering that they inflict:

Love Me
Song by Elvis Presley
Treat me like a fool,
Treat me mean and cruel,
But love me.
Wring my faithful heart,
Tear it all apart,
But love me.
If you ever go,
Darling, I'll be oh so lonely
I'll be sad and blue,
Crying over you, dear only.
etc.!

A woman would think you were nuts and quickly kick you to curb should you submit to any of this, but imagining that you might can really turns them on!

Ha
Old 04-15-2015, 06:46 PM   #9

I live 6 miles down the road from where Percy Sledge grew up. In my eyes, he was somewhat of a one hit wonder--When a Man Loves a Woman.

I preferred many other artists of the same era that recorded their biggest hits in Muscle Shoals like Arthur Alexander, Etta James, Wilson Pickett, Otis Redding, Lynard Skynard, Rod Stewart, Eric Clapton, Bob Dylan, Aretha Franklin, Cher, The Rolling Stones, Bob Segar.

The session musicians and engineers are still living and recording here. You wouldn't believe the quality of our local music shows, even now.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:37 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
I live 6 miles down the road from where Percy Sledge grew up. In my eyes, he was somewhat of a one hit wonder--When a Man Loves a Woman.

I preferred many other artists of the same era that recorded their biggest hits in Muscle Shoals like Arthur Alexander, Etta James, Wilson Pickett, Otis Redding, Lynard Skynard, Rod Stewart, Eric Clapton, Bob Dylan, Aretha Franklin, Cher, The Rolling Stones, Bob Segar.

The session musicians and engineers are still living and recording here. You wouldn't believe the quality of our local music shows, even now.
Have you seen the documentary, 'Muscle Shoals'? I thought it was fascinating (saw it on netflix). One part in particular, where they are working on "I Never Loved a Man (The Way I Love You)", and it just isn't coming together, until the piano player hits that opening rhythm/riff ... daaaah, dah-da-da-da-daaaah.. 'you're no good - dah-da-da-da-daaaah... - heart-breaker', and they had a hit.

Muscle Shoals - Rotten Tomatoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
In the case of the Percy Sledge song, the effect is also from the insistent rhythm. ...
Ha
Yes, that rhythm, and the opening line is just so pleading and emotional, 'When a maaa-an, l-o-ves a woman...', it grabs you before any of the other lyrics take hold.

Great song, great singer.

-ERD50
Old 04-15-2015, 10:32 PM   #11

And, from the opposite point of view:

https://youtu.be/NvlE14cM-zk
Old 04-15-2015, 10:40 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
And, from the opposite point of view:

https://youtu.be/NvlE14cM-zk
The Lord loves both masochists and sadists.