Join Early Retirement Today

Perfect gift for the very elderly
Old 11-26-2006, 01:47 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Perfect gift for the very elderly

When my folks were alive and Christmas and birthdays rolled around we always had a devil of a time thinking up a good Christmas gift(s) for Mom and Dad. One day while visiting them I had occasion to pick up their mail and as I was walking back from the mail box I casually leafed thru the mail and noticed a phone bill and an electric bill.

BINGO! From that point on any gift that I wished to send them was not another shirt, not another pretty scarf, not a box of candy, not Omaha Steaks but I would send the phone company a check to apply to their account and also would send money to the electric company to apply to their bill. I would print up a (Large Print) notice from the computer and sign it. They loved it.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Perfect gift for the very elderly
Old 11-26-2006, 02:01 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Good suggestion! A few years ago I gave my Mom one of those MCI calling cards from Costco (only 2.86 cents/minute). I programmed the 800 number and the PIN into her speed dialer. Then on subsequent birthdays or Christmas (or maybe in between if her minutes are running low), I add minutes to her balance.
Old 11-26-2006, 02:25 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

When my parents were in their 80's and rarely left the house except to go to the grocery store or the doctor, my siblings and I were at a loss for gift ideas. Then we heard my dad grouse about the cost of cable TV and we had our solution. The four of us all put in enough cash to pre-pay their cable bill for a year. Every month they got a bill saying they owed nothing, a nice reminder of our gift.

Old 11-26-2006, 07:33 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

One year we got my inlaws each silk pajamas. A luxury they never would have bought for themselves. They were well used.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 08:06 PM   #5

For Christmas, I usually get my Mom (who will soon be 80) a "Travel Certificate" from one of the groups she travels with. There is one local tour company we travel with quite often, and I'll call them up and have them sign her up for day trips she likes, or a multi-day trip that I know she'd enjoy....and I grab the tab!!! 8)

My shopping was easy...and she is thrilled with the "Gift of Go"!!!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 09:03 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just remember this rule: Never buy your parents anything that was invented after 1945.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:52 AM   #7

To add to Al's rule, Don't buy your parents anything you wouldn't want back.

Stepmom had been going through the closets and attic the past couple years. She keeps pulling out gifts we (us kids) gave them over the years, items they never used, and giving them back to us. My brother's comment was " if I'd known I was going to get this stuff back I'd have bought better gifts".

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote