Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-15-2008, 06:31 PM   #21
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Front loaders may be harder to load unload. They're low to the ground but that can help if you just drag all the laundry out. If you get the pedestals (optional and expensive) they can be easier.

They're a lot easier on the fabric. So I can't justify buying as many new clothes. Hmm.

They dont have agitators in the middle like a top loader usually does, so you can wash ginormous things like king comforters in them. Definitely a plus. No more trips to the cleaners.

They spin almost all of the water out so drying time is significantly reduced. I should care, but...

Depending on the models, some front loaders clean better than some top loaders. But a sucky front loader wont do as well as a top rated top loader.

They use very little soap. We use about a tablespoon a load. I don't use very much soap, since there's just one of me and also I found that half the liquid soap works just as well as all of it in getting my clothes clean. Not an issue.

No "WHUMP WHUMP WHUMP BZZZZZZZZZZZZ" when the spin cycle hits and the load is out of balance. The front loaders will roll the load back and forth until its evened out. That hasn't happened to me in the six years since I bought my oversized toploader washer. Don't know why!
Thanks! That's quite a comprehensive list and I appreciate it. Looks like, for me, the major advantage of a front loader would be getting to wash my comforters at home, which I would really like a lot. Even my oversized toploader won't handle a comforter. Another advantage is that I just think they look really cool. Some of the other advantages seem to depend on doing many weekly loads of laundry, such as for a large family.

No matter which kind I buy after ER, if the salesman is that bad I will leave and find one who wants my business! (just to get back on topic).

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2008, 07:41 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Front loaders may be harder to load unload. They're low to the ground but that can help if you just drag all the laundry out. If you get the pedestals (optional and expensive) they can be easier.
Depending on the models, some front loaders clean better than some top loaders. But a sucky front loader wont do as well as a top rated top loader.
I wouldn't buy a pedestal, but they are easy to make or fake. I think they're worthwhile for ease of loading and unloading.

I read a review a while ago that said that most frontloaders didn't do as good of a job cleaning as the old toploaders. However, we've had ours in the new house for about 6 months now, with no problem. But we haven't had anything that would really test it. The review said something about cloths used for waxing cars not coming clean in the frontloader. That would be a real test.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:01 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Front loaders are certainly popular now, but it's still quite a personal preference thing. Folks I know with front loaders have had more service calls and when a seal fails more mess than my old top loader. A super heavy duty top loader, run with less than maximum size loads, seems to be able to last forever. I can adjust water levels and use as much or little soap as I want. I got a fancy one with all kinds of delicate cycles. I'm told that the front end loaders use less energy, but the stickers on the new top loaders are predicting $50/year energy use. FTC estimates 200-500 kWh per year usage depending on model and at my rate of $0.04 to 0.08 per kWh that's somewhere between $8 and $40 to run for a year. Less if I use it less frequently. With all the features I will ever need a top loader is about $400 and a similarly equipped front loader is $1000. If I save half the energy of the highest estimate (doubtful) I'll pay back the $600 difference in purchase price in only 30 years. At the lower estimate payback is about 150 years. Assuming the machines last that long and there's no differential in repair rates.

So, I'm not buying most of the salesman's claims, though I do understand why he likes to sell the more expensive machines. Some people do love their front loaders. For only a few hundred dollars for a machine that you will use often for decades, you should get whatever features you want in whatever format you want. It's going to amount to a few bucks a day at most anyway, so make yourself happy when you do laundry. Whether that means familiar traditional top loader you love or spiffy new front loader you love. Get the one YOU want, not what the sales critter is pushing.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:16 PM   #24

Craig's List? I looked in the Boston's household and electronics section. There are no 50" plasmas or LCDs for sale, and there aren't any stainless ranges and fridges either.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:36 PM   #25
Administrator

Growing Older, thanks. That was a great review from a slightly different point of view than CFB's. I think I will probably get the top loader version, even though it would be nice to be able to wash my comforters at home. I don't think the advantages of the front loader are likely to be worth the difference in cost to me.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 09-15-2008, 08:44 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Oh, I forgot something. You can wash very delicate stuff in a front loader. Pretty much whatever is upstream of something so delicate that you'd only consider wetting it and wringing it out.

I thought about making a pedestal set because I sure as hell wasnt going to pay $199 each for the two pedestals made for the set I bought. I got as far as trying to figure out how to get the 200+lb washing machine up on whatever I built, since there isnt enough room in there for two guys AND the machines...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:03 PM   #27

I admit, I am a fan of top loaders. You probably guessed. But still, I think it's important to note that these machines last a long time (many many years) and you use them often. It's best to get the kind that YOU want. You use it so much over such a long time that even a 2x price difference still doesn't amount to much.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:06 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I thought about making a pedestal set because I sure as hell wasnt going to pay $199 each for the two pedestals made for the set I bought. I got as far as trying to figure out how to get the 200+lb washing machine up on whatever I built, since there isnt enough room in there for two guys AND the machines...
Just tilt them and use leverage! It's been working so well for the financial institutions.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:13 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Hey, I'm the guy that got two big screen tv's into the house by myself...

I dont think theres room for tilting or leveraging. I'll have to take a picture of my laundry room and post it. It looked so big when it was empty. I have no idea how they got these two humongous machines in there...they were delivered when I wasnt home...

I'm sure a lot of cursing was involved.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:13 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Another advantage is that I just think they look really cool. (just to get back on topic).
That right there is probably responsible as much as function (maybe more) for their popularity. Stylish you know Gotta keep ahead of the Joneses!
Old 09-16-2008, 07:42 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I find the front loaders to be easier to unload than a top loader. I put a low laundry basket in front of the door and just sort of roll out the wet laundry. Because it has been spun out so effectively, it is also lighter. Then I slide the basket over to the dryer and roll the laundry in. When dry, I roll it out into the basket again. No heavy lifting.

I don't have a pedestal.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:08 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

I am very short. With the top loader I could never seem to reach in and get that errant coin or two. The front loader is much easier for me.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:17 AM   #33
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I am very short. With the top loader I could never seem to reach in and get that errant coin or two. The front loader is much easier for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg step stool.jpg (24.6 KB, 78 views)

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:26 AM   #34
Administrator

Agh!! REW, that photo brings back (icky) memories of childhood. My mother had a stepstool by the washer in the basement so that we kids could unload the laundry. Then we had to drag the wet laundry upstairs and out to the clothesline, and use another stool to hang it on the clothesline.

(After that, we'd walk 10 miles barefoot through the snow to school, uphill both ways....)

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 09-16-2008, 08:57 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Lots of good info, thanks!!! Not sure what I'm going to do, although the transmission noise is getting louder..........gotta make amove in the next week or so or deal with the wrath of DW.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:14 AM   #36
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Lots of good info, thanks!!! Not sure what I'm going to do, although the transmission noise is getting louder..........gotta make amove in the next week or so or deal with the wrath of DW.........
You're right - - this calls for immediate action!! I'd suggest going to another appliance store. Surely there is some place in town that will sell you what you want and that would be helpful.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 09-16-2008, 09:25 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
You're right - - this calls for immediate action!! I'd suggest going to another appliance store. Surely there is some place in town that will sell you what you want and that would be helpful.
There's a 3 generation family owned appliance store about 15 miles north of me. I have heard good things about them. I'm sure I'll pay a little more but we'll see.

DW is not that hip on craiglist. Our current set was bought off there, was allegedly only one years old, and that was 4 years ago, and the washer is toast, so she's a little leery.......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:32 AM   #38
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Money laundering?
Old 09-16-2008, 11:35 AM   #39

Darned DH keeps fixing ours every time they break, so I'll never get to replace our now 15 year old set. The last thing wrong with the dryer he fixed after I asked here for ideas, so he got the parts from this awesome PartsDirect place. Although the rust holes in the top of the washer are pretty hideous, I can't seem to get all worked up about it.
I doubt even the benefits outlined above would sway me to a pricier model. I like the idea of buying the cheapest new units and hanging on to them. And the family owned store in our town has great prices, FD, you should probably ask them to price match your best offer from the big guys.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:29 PM   #40
Administrator

Sarah, I like our family-owned store, too. They actually know what they are talking about. How refreshing. So, often they save me money by showing me options I might not have considered. Also they will match Best Buy or any of the other big box stores, even when the big box store is having a sale.

Last time I got them to match the price, and got free delivery and installation for both washer and gas dryer.

- - H. Melville, 1851