Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Perhaps the Worst Salesmen Ever.........
Old 09-15-2008, 08:14 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Perhaps the Worst Salesmen Ever.........

Our washing machine is on the fritz, so DW sent me on a recon mission to see what I could find. I went to a large appliance store right in my hometown, and ran into one of the worst salespeople ever, what a tool:

Salesguy: Can I help you?

Me: yes, I am looking to BUY a top loading washing machine.

Salesguy: Like I always say, "pay me now, or pay me later".........

Me: Excuse me?

Salesguy: You don't want a top loader they're obsolete.............

Me: Since when? :confused:

Salesguy; That's all the manufacturers are making, we really don't sell any top loaders anymore.......but if you want your clothes to get beat up, use more water and energy, that's up to you.........

Me: I notice all your front loaders are $850-$1300, and I'm looking to spend around $500 max.

Salesguy: "Like I said, pay me now, or pay me later"..........

I was going to light him up like a big X-mas tree, but then I remembered he was an APPLIANCE saleman, and I left the store instead........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2008, 08:17 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Exactly the way I felt when I used to have a broker. (heh)
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:20 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
Exactly the way I felt when I used to have a broker. (heh)
Too bad you had a crappy broker.........

Old 09-15-2008, 08:21 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I'm sure he would have explained the benefit of buying the extended warranty too
Old 09-15-2008, 08:24 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Since when is $500 not enough money to cram in someone's pocket?
Old 09-15-2008, 08:25 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

What - belittling the buyer doesn't work? He didn't ask you what you were looking to spend per month on it?
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Too bad you had a crappy broker.........
No, he was very good, to himself.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:42 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
I'm sure he would have explained the benefit of buying the extended warranty too
Which I wish he had, so I could explain that berating buyers doesn't always lead to add-on sales........

Old 09-15-2008, 09:30 AM   #9

Did you say "Sir your annoying sales line is really pissing me off"
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:32 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Salesguy: "Like I said, pay me now, or pay me later"..........
I wonder if he can spell C-r-a-i-g-s-l-i-s-t...

Plenty of "upgrade selloff" used appliances on there these days. Spouse and I were in a couple of open houses yesterday, with "prices reduced" from $1.0xxM to "only" $998K & $988K. One of them had four, count 'em four, LCD TVs in a four-bedroom two-story 2800 sq ft floor plan. Every one of them was at least 50". (I considered getting the tape measure out of the car but decided that would be misinterpreted by the realtor.) The laundry room was actually taking up a 12'x15' room on the second floor, filled with a late-model front-loader washing machine.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:40 AM   #11

To be fair...

When I recently looked into the top-loader/front loader issue and mentally worked through the math they came out about the same considering the $350 rebate from the water company for a front-loader.

I don't need another washer right now. Maybe in 8 years or so I'll be looking seriously though.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 12:25 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

He was probably just being a very good salesman.

You'd have almost certainly saved $350 over the life of the appliance by buying a front loader, unless you only do 1-2 loads of laundry a week. Since you have multiple kids, I'm pretty sure its a lot more than that.

Your utility companies probably would have given you a hundred or two in rebates, your water and electricity use would have gone down, and yes...your clothes would have lasted longer. Top loaders used to beat the crap out of my clothes, especially sweaters.

Plus you could have done twice as much laundry in the front loader.

Granted when I was in sales I always sold the customer what they wanted to buy, but that never stopped me from giving them the benefit of my knowledge of the products/services.

Lets flip this around...new customer calls you and tells you he'd like to buy a bunch of vanguard funds and an AIG annuity. You just going to take the order?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 01:25 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I think the salesman could have worded his comments better...or brought out a vat of vaseline. He aggravated a customer and lost a sale.

...and yeah, I've worked in sales as well.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:23 PM   #14

Id sell anyone a pile of **** if they wanted to buy it.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 03:07 PM   #15

gassing up yesterday ($3.61/gal) some salesthug pulls up along side me and asks if i want to buy a home entertainment center. i politely decline to his sales pitch "just because you don't want it, don't you love anyone enough to give it to them."

nothing says love like a stolen home entertainment center bought cheap off a truck at a gas station.

hmmm, maybe if i repackage it in a box from tiffany....

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 03:17 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
To be fair...

When I recently looked into the top-loader/front loader issue and mentally worked through the math they came out about the same considering the $350 rebate from the water company for a front-loader.

I don't need another washer right now. Maybe in 8 years or so I'll be looking seriously though.
Yeah I wish we had a front loader, but the top loader is 4 yrs new and the 20 yo dryer works fine. As discussed here, there are several issues and numerous decisions required to pick out a front load machine. I love the idea of using less water and all, but more than likely I'd go with the front load strictly on the basis of less wear and tear on my back!

Anyway, it's awfully annoying when you know what you want and some sales guy or gal belittles the customer instead of offering an infomed choice.
jazz4cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 03:19 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I don't think any sales training exists that could help him get better. Perhaps he is just bitter at life...........

Old 09-15-2008, 03:57 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
As discussed here, there are several issues and numerous decisions required to pick out a front load machine.

My top load broke a few years ago. I went down to Sears, next morning I had a front load. I loved it, but now I have moved. All the apartment laundry rooms have front loaders now; they are really quite superior from so many POVs.

Maybe I just didn't understand the many subtleties.

Ha
Old 09-15-2008, 05:07 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

My top load broke a few years ago. I went down to Sears, next morning I had a front load. I loved it, but now I have moved. All the apartment laundry rooms have front loaders now; they are really quite superior from so many POVs.

Maybe I just didn't understand the many subtleties.

Ha
What advantages do they have? I know they look cool, and save water and energy (though I live alone and don't use much water and energy anyway).

Any other advantages I should know about? Do they do a better job in washing clothes? Is it easier to load and unload laundry with a front loader? Thanks.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 05:14 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Front loaders may be harder to load unload. They're low to the ground but that can help if you just drag all the laundry out. If you get the pedestals (optional and expensive) they can be easier.

They're a lot easier on the fabric.

They dont have agitators in the middle like a top loader usually does, so you can wash ginormous things like king comforters in them.

They spin almost all of the water out so drying time is significantly reduced.

Depending on the models, some front loaders clean better than some top loaders. But a sucky front loader wont do as well as a top rated top loader.

They use very little soap. We use about a tablespoon a load.

No "WHUMP WHUMP WHUMP BZZZZZZZZZZZZ" when the spin cycle hits and the load is out of balance. The front loaders will roll the load back and forth until its evened out.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote