Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-22-2018, 09:17 PM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am so sorry to hear this TT. It is such a shame after all of the expense and pain. I hope that the new denture fits correctly and that you have no more problems.
Dreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2018, 09:58 PM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thanks! I have really been enjoying the snap in denture as it is stable and doesn’t cover the roof of my mouth so I can taste food better. It has been a year. I will wait for it to totally fail and then get the denture. Ugh!
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 01:58 PM   #83
Give me a forum ...

Today I received the paperwork to sign saying they would give me $5500 and admit no wrongdoing, etc. It said that I would have a check within 14 days so I faxed it to them. I only lost 2500 plus half the cost of whatever the top denture costs so not too bad.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:26 PM   #84
Give me a forum ...

So Friday I noticed that my top denture is painful. I look and I have little bumps by my 2 remaining implants. They are sore. See the dentist today and those 2 are failing and the 2 where the abuttments fell off but I still have the posts under the skin are inflamed. They all have to come out before becoming infected. A oral surgeon was willing to do it Wednesday because it’s becoming too painful to wear my denture. I will really miss the snaps because much better fit than a regular denture. In a related story my sister got full mouth implants about 30 years ago. They didn’t do the 4 on 4 back then. They put 8 on top. 2 have failed and they decided to put one more in for stability. She got infected despite being on various antibiotics. She almost died and had to have a port installed so they could infuse antibiotics daily for a month. They told her to cut her food in small pieces forever. She can’t have anymore.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:51 PM   #85

No dentist should ever use the term "permanent"...Most of us never do.

The proper word is "fixed" as in "attached"...as opposed to "removable" as in it comes out when you want it to come out and sometimes when you don't.

TT, very sorry for your troubles. I am not intending to make light of them, merely to clarify that the word "permanent" when it comes to dentistry, can be very misleading.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:51 PM   #86
Gone but not forgotten

Terry , I am so sorry you are having a dental nightmare .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:01 PM   #87
Moderator Emeritus

Terry, the implants that are failing...are those the ones you had done in Kansas ? I remember you were looking for a less expensive implant guy.

I'm holding off on two implants in the top teeth area due to I'm not thrilled with having to have new bone put in first (Sinus lift) to support the drilling and insertion of a mounting stud or two.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:21 PM   #88
Give me a forum ...

Yes the Kansas guy. You get what you pay for. We couldn’t afford 40k here for the top versus 11. To be fair the tops fail more often than bottoms. I got back all but 2500 from Kansas guy.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:41 PM   #89
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Yes the Kansas guy. You get what you pay for. We couldn’t afford 40k here for the top versus 11. To be fair the tops fail more often than bottoms. I got back all but 2500 from Kansas guy.
Sorry to hear this. I may just get a denture for the top two missing teeth rather than chance it with implants and new bone. Plus the cost factor is significant.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:45 PM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
So Friday I noticed that my top denture is painful. I look and I have little bumps by my 2 remaining implants. They are sore. See the dentist today and those 2 are failing and the 2 where the abuttments fell off but I still have the posts under the skin are inflamed. They all have to come out before becoming infected. A oral surgeon was willing to do it Wednesday because it’s becoming too painful to wear my denture. I will really miss the snaps because much better fit than a regular denture. In a related story my sister got full mouth implants about 30 years ago. They didn’t do the 4 on 4 back then. They put 8 on top. 2 have failed and they decided to put one more in for stability. She got infected despite being on various antibiotics. She almost died and had to have a port installed so they could infuse antibiotics daily for a month. They told her to cut her food in small pieces forever. She can’t have anymore.
I am so sorry to read that this happened to you!! Aw. That's just so sad. It's hard to know what to say except that I wouldn't wish that on anyone, ever.

So far so good on my four (or is it five?) implants and bridge between two of them. I do understand what HadEnuff is saying, and if any or all of them ever gave out, I'd reluctantly understand because it's not a sure thing. Still, I would be pretty upset about it and I would imagine you are too.
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:46 PM   #91
Give me a forum ...

From what I have learned and experienced it’s much easier to have a top denture because you have suction going for you. The bottom doesn’t have that and moves around. Plus bottom implants take much better due to biting force/pressure and more bone. Really I just wanted to share information that will help others.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:57 PM   #92

So far the 8 implants and fixed uppers and lowers I had done in January are working out well. TT I am sorry you are having issues.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1926.jpg (424.7 KB, 29 views)
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 07:16 AM   #93
Give me a forum ...

So yesterday I had the 4 implants removed. Just like the other 4 procedures it’s more painful than when I had regular surgery and I had 3 babies with no medication. I think your gums must have more nerves. Despite icing it yesterday I am totally swollen and unrecognizable. Thank goodness for pain medications. Still have pain but at least I could doze on and off. The oral surgeon asked if I wanted to get a bone graft and implants again once healed. I told him I wouldn’t do it if it was free.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:38 AM   #94
Recycles dryer sheets

I did not expect this subject to show up on the site, but glad it did. I am also preparing for two implants later this year (abutment and crown go in Jan 2020). Total cost w/o insurance is 8K, what insurance will pay is a crap shoot. I had wondered if there were any issues and clearly there are.

I guess implants are not "set em and forget em". Wonder what other issues can arise, how long they last. I'll bring it up to the dentist at next appt.

Sorry to hear about your troubles TT.
workmyfingerstothebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 07:50 AM   #95
Give me a forum ...

You have to be meticulous about caring for your teeth. Brushing gums, using waterpic and flossing a lot. Your gums must stay healthy.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:20 AM   #96
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by workmyfingerstothebone View Post
I did not expect this subject to show up on the site, but glad it did. I am also preparing for two implants later this year (abutment and crown go in Jan 2020). Total cost w/o insurance is 8K, what insurance will pay is a crap shoot. I had wondered if there were any issues and clearly there are.

I guess implants are not "set em and forget em". Wonder what other issues can arise, how long they last. I'll bring it up to the dentist at next appt.
I've had 5 put in over a period of about 10 years. The only issue I had was with the most recent- mild inflammation on the gum after the new tooth was screwed in. I don't feel anything unless I put pressure on it and chewing doesn't hurt at all. The implant was placed in October but the tooth has been in place only 4 months ago, so that may abate over time.

For the most part, mine HAVE been "set 'em and forget 'em". I do have professional cleaning quarterly instead of twice a year and I use a SoniCare and a WaterPik, but all that helps my remaining teeth, too.

I know that when they go bad they can be a nightmare but, due to a combination of an excellent oral surgeon and dentist team and some luck, I've been very happy with mine. If one of the teeth upholding my last remaining bridge fails, I'll be back for more.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:31 AM   #97
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by workmyfingerstothebone View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
[...]For the most part, mine HAVE been "set 'em and forget 'em".
+1

I have had four implants in the past 6 years, plus a bridge supported by two of the implants on either side. Mine have been "set 'em and forget 'em" too. I had no dental insurance and I think most people getting implants just pay for them, themselves. Bridges are the less expensive approach according to my dentist but I wanted implants.

Poor TeacherTerry has had a dreadful time but her dental situation was dire, and called for much more work than just half a dozen implants. My heart goes out to her.

But in your situation, workmyfingerstothebone, I would just choose a good dentist and/or oral surgeon and then very likely your only worries would be the expense.

The webmd website says,
Quote:
Success rates of dental implants vary, depending on where in the jaw the implants are placed but, in general, dental implants have a success rate of up to 98%. With proper care (see below), implants can last a lifetime.
https://www.webmd.com/oral-health/gu...tal-implants#1
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 10:54 AM   #98
Give me a forum ...

It’s different having a entire mouth done than a few. I have had no issues with my bottom at all. He was a excellent oral surgeon. I am partly responsible for my tops as I went with a provider not as expensive. 11k versus 40 for the tops. I chalked it up to the COL in Kansas. Although, he had excellent reviews,etc. The fact that 2 of my sister’s failed at 35 years wouldn’t be unusual. Her life threatening infection was. I also think all the pain and swelling is again due to having the entire mouth done versus a few.
All-on-Four
Old 06-20-2019, 11:31 AM   #99

All-on-Four

My apologies for being waayyy late to this thread.

I had All-on-Four treatment 7-1/2 years ago. Mine would be considered a successful one in terms of overall outcome. The treatment plan post surgery took place over the course of an entire year. I lost track of how many follow-up appointments I had with my dentist, surgeon and the lab during that time as they monitored my progress. That's why I shudder when reading advertisements claiming All-on-Four treatments that can be done in a single day. Mine required both a sinus lift and bone grafting. Fortunately, my surgeon was a very skilled and experienced one. Nobel implants and abutments were used - all carry a lifetime warranty as does the titanium bar that my permanent prosthetics are built upon. Post surgery, I wore temporary prosthetics on the upper jaw until healing was complete enough to receive the implants.

Even after all of that, there was still a bit of a trial period before the permanent prosthetics could be tweaked for the best possible fit. That doesn't mean this has been a fail-safe experience. A year ago I had an implant screw break and had to be replaced. This past spring, a lower abutment broke. The lab removed both prosthetics, placed me back in my temporaries for two weeks while they rework the upper and lower. All of this work is under warranty.

I see my dentist annually for routine cleaning and inspection. Every other year, my dentist replaces all of my implant screws which I pay for OOP to the tune of $300.

I would suggest to anyone considering All-on-Four to work with the best surgeon and dental lab available. Make sure the work has warranty and the components used (implants/abutments/prosthetics) are of the highest quality. And finally, make sure to floss around those implants every friggin' day and continue seeing your dentist annually. And lastly, don't be tempted by those ads promising All-on-Four in a single visit.

This treatment plan was costly in terms of $$$. For me, it was worth every penny as I am able to eat what I want and speak confidently without concern.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:55 AM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Yes mine both were done over the course of a year. The ones that do them in a day don’t have a good track record. Mine have to be removed yearly also and screw replacement. I also went to the best guy for the bottom which cost 33k.