Join Early Retirement Today

Perseid Meteor Shower
Old 08-13-2015, 06:11 AM   #1

Perseid Meteor Shower

The Perseid meteor shower is back and viewing is the best we've had so far this decade. We were out last night and saw a half dozen meteors, and will probably go out again tonight. Here's an article with some info The Perseid meteor shower — the year's best — is tonight. Here's how to watch it. - Vox

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2015, 06:16 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We were out looking early this morning and saw some kind of explosion in the sky. That was totally unexpected. We did see one other meteor, but the explosion was spectacular.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:04 AM   #3
Administrator

We looked, but it was too overcast here to see anything. Maybe tonight.

Retired in 2009 at age 61.

Mini-pension 13%, SS 20%, investments 67%.

W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:09 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

I spent about 45 minutes out early last night and saw 2 bright meteors - one streaked across about 30 degrees of the sky and the other was much shorter, maybe 5 degrees. I will probably go back out tonight.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:13 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I went out for maybe 20 minutes. In previous years, I typically think I see a few, but maybe so dim I'm not sure, but then if I stay out long enough, will usually catch something pretty obvious.

Last night, I didn't see any minor flashes at first, then 15 minutes in a very bright one, with a path that would cross about 2-3 feet at arm's length. One more minor flash, and I went in. Nice night, and despite all the rain we've had, no mosquitoes (haven't figured that one out)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
We were out looking early this morning and saw some kind of explosion in the sky. That was totally unexpected. We did see one other meteor, but the explosion was spectacular.
Iridium flare perhaps? Enter your GPS co-ordinates here, and you can see if one appeared in your area. They can be very bright (brighter than any star, well other than our Sun), and last about 10 seconds, fading in-out. They are reflections from the 3 rotating antenna plates on every Iridium satellite (used for the satellite phones).

Each reflection only covers a few miles of the Earth, and dims outside that area, so they need your specific GPS co-ords.

But they can also occur outside of that schedule. There are some out-of-control satellites that might reflect, but they don't have good enough data on their paths to predict the flares.

Heavens-Above

-ERD50
Old 08-13-2015, 08:27 AM   #6

I laid out in my hammock around midnight and saw a dozen or so in about 45 minutes. Woke up around 4 and went back out and saw a few more before I fell asleep. Opened my eyes and the sky was clouding up at 5am, so I went back in.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:35 AM   #7

Out from 4:00 to 5:00 this morning. Lots of meteors, clear sky, the milky way up here at 8700 ft.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:48 AM   #8

Saw one at around 5am. Probably could have seen a lot more, but I have a lot of tree cover to the northeast.
Old 08-13-2015, 02:14 PM   #9

Dog woke me up at 4am so it was a good opportunity for meteor watching. Unfortunately I saw none at all ! I did get a couple of mosquito bites before running in to get the Cutter spray (hate that stuff but it's better than getting a mosquito borne disease). Its raining right now but if it clears up I'll be out again tonight.
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 02:18 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

I woke up at three so I went out for a while. It was too cloudy to see much, but it was nice sitting there in the quiet.
Old 08-13-2015, 02:29 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

There was too much smoke in the air from forest fires (far away) to see anything last night. It's still hazy today, so I am not getting my hopes up.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:37 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Nice clear night in the burbs. I was out for about 15 minutes around 1am CST and saw one meteor (moving much faster than the 'shooting stars' I saw in July)! I went out again around 3am, but didn't see any. Fun stuff.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 05:11 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Went out for a few minutes and saw 4 spectacular orange-yellow flashes. Went in and grabbed the wife. "You have to see this - it's better viewing than we have had in years" She came out on the deck and we didn't see anything for about 25 min. She fell asleep in the deckchair and immediately 3 more shot across the sky. I may try again tonight sans my child bride...

I have the nature of a polymath and the memory of a Commodore 64
Sittingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:49 PM   #14

Spent about 3 hours out last night and saw at least a dozen very nice meteors.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:19 PM   #15

Went out around 11 and didn't see anything. Set alarm for 3:30, figured I get some viewing in before having to get ready for work. Alarm went off, I forgot about the meteors and thought I goofed and set the alarm for 3:30 instead of 4:30. Reset alarm and slept until 4:30. Never remembered about meteors until I was at work. Going to try again tonight.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:08 PM   #16

The kids and I were out at the cottage on Tuesday/Wednesday night from about 2-330 and saw about one every 2-3 minutes. Quite a few were not Perseids. Several left visible trails. We are lucky to have a cottage in a dark sky preserve and have pretty wide open horizons. It was great to have no moon but it was a bit breezy. A good year but not the best we've had.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:31 AM   #17

The boys are back in town

The Perseid meteor shower is back. Bst viewing is Thursday after midnight. Perseid Meteor Shower 2016: When, Where & How to See It
Old 08-11-2016, 07:36 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Thanks Michael. I'm in a fairly light polluted area, but hopefully will see at least a few of the brighter ones.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:38 AM   #19

Won't be up at the cottage until Friday night so have to make do with that. Will get out late so as to avoid the moon. Always a good show.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:46 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Looks like clouds for N IL

Though a few weeks ago, I was out trying to spot a satellite (using the Heavens-Above site), the satellite was too dim for me to spot, but I clearly saw a very bright meteor flash across the sky. That was the first time I saw a meteor when I wasn't actively looking for the Perseids.

So I guess I have to be happy I at least saw that one, and didn't need to sit out for an hour or more!

-ERD50