Join Early Retirement Today
Old 12-30-2015, 03:17 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by ArkTinkerer View Post
We got hit by an uninsured motorist. They covered our vehicle without a problem. We did not have comprehensive and it was covered under the uninsured motorist clause. We were not at fault--the vehicle was parked.
You likely had UMPD - Uninsured Motorists Property Damage - in place of CDW (Collision Deductible Waiver).

UMBI, what most folk have, covers Bodily Injury only.

This whole thread, along with the other Insurance thread currently active, reminds me of how little most folk know about their insurance policies. A frustrating situation for insurers, agents and customers alike.

ElizabethT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2015, 03:27 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
In a lot of places, the police will not be dispatched to a minor accident where nobody is injured.
Then I'd keep her blocked till she provided the information & if she didn't like that, she can call the cops.

gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 04:44 PM   #23
Dryer sheet aficionado
Mercury Insurance contacted me and got my side of what happened. I gave the lady my witness' information and after talking to him, she accepted that their insured was at fault. The young lady who hit me was trying to blame me for the accident and it was the witness testimony that helped me get my $500 deductible back.

It turns out that the "coverage issues" was due to the fact that another name was on the Mercury Insurance coverage.

I've gotten my car back but now I hear rattling noise coming from the passenger side door. The fender was crushed which is what caused the washer fluid leak. But why the noise? I googled it and it seems to be a problem with the Corrolla, but mine was quiet before the accident.

Anyways, glad my deductible was reimbursed. Since it was the other driver's fault, I am not expecting my rates to go up.
CABarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 05:50 PM   #24
Glad to hear it worked out pretty much as good as it could have under the circumstances.
"One of the funny things about the stock market is that every time one person buys, another sells, and both think they are astute." William Feather
ER'd Oct. 2010 at 53. Life is good.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 05:54 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets
I hate to say this, but I wouldn't expect much. I was hit by an uninsured motorist. The damage was much worse (~$12,000), so the police were even called. She showed the officer an insurance card, but it really had lapsed. My insurance company even had to garnish her wages for a long time. Finally after 12 years, yes 12 years, my insurance company gave up. I finally got $241 of my $500 deductible at that time. I am guessing they only recovered the same percentage. Good news, my insurance company took care of the repairs and didn't raise my rate. (By they way I didn't even own that car by the time I got the money and had forgotten all about it.)
Sasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 12:08 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets
Glad you finally got some restitution from the at-fault driver. Having a witness can really make all the difference when an initially apologetic driver inexplicable denies all culpability when contacted by their insurance agent. That's why I learned that even when the other party admits fault, promises to pay, and begs you not to go through their insurance, I would insist on taking down (taking pictures of) their proof of insurance and noting the expiration date, driver's license, and car license.

I was summoned from inside a grocery store after a witness stated she saw a hit and run driver hit our parked car, so the witness provided me her phone number. The police tracked down the driver at his home nearly a month later. The driver initially denied being involved. But when confronted with the witness's account, he finally confessed to the officer and provided his insurance information.

So many scumbag drivers who try to slip away. Afterwards, I did mail the witness a gift certificate to a nice restaurant in her town.

swakyaby is offline   Reply With Quote