Join Early Retirement Today

Personal Capital Glitch?
Old 10-04-2017, 01:14 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Personal Capital Glitch?

I use the free version of personalcapitol.com. I created 3 scenarios under the retirement planning section. One scenario has me start SS at 62, one at 67 and the other at 70. All 3 have retirement starting at 57 in 4 years. Theoretically, there should be no difference between the 3 until age 62, but all 3 show different account values every year from 53 to 61 for both median and worst case. How is this possible?

Lawrencewendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2017, 01:44 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrencewendall View Post
I use the free version of personalcapitol.com. I created 3 scenarios under the retirement planning section. One scenario has me start SS at 62, one at 67 and the other at 70. All 3 have retirement starting at 57 in 4 years. Theoretically, there should be no difference between the 3 until age 62, but all 3 show different account values every year from 53 to 61 for both median and worst case. How is this possible?
Do they invest the money differently, in their forecasts, based on age?

Old 10-04-2017, 02:17 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKid View Post
Do they invest the money differently, in their forecasts, based on age?
My age is the same in all 3 scenarios and the timeline is the same (out to 93). The further out, those early differences have more of an impact. Not sure which is right.
Old 10-04-2017, 02:18 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Maybe you could ask someone at Personal Capital?
Old 10-04-2017, 02:24 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Maybe you could ask someone at Personal Capital?
I plan on it but since I'm using their free version, I don't expect much. Thought I'd ask here if anyone else encountered the glitch.
Old 10-04-2017, 03:16 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Are the account values every year from 53 to 61 smaller the farther away collecting SS age ?

I could see they allow you to spend more if you are getting SS earlier.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 03:38 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Are the account values every year from 53 to 61 smaller the farther away collecting SS age ?

I could see they allow you to spend more if you are getting SS earlier.
The numbers are smaller the closer to withdrawing SS and I put in a fixed yearly spending amount for all 3 scenarios. I submitted a help ticket. Will post back here with their reply.

This is the answer I got:
"When we run calculations for your Retirement Planner, we try to extrapolate data for your investment accounts using a Monte Carlo system. In this system, we run 5,000 different simulations and take the average result. In this way we try to get a median picture of what your returns will look like. However, this does mean that there may be some variation between one projection and the next, even if the details are exactly the same. The difference shouldn't be exceptionally drastic, but differences are possible."

The paperwork is at w*rk, so i'll check tomorrow on the difference.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:14 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I have been using Personal Capital for a while. I used to send them suggestions and issues I was having with the free version and they always responded and fixed the bug. Give it a shot.
Rdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 08:04 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Just looked. Difference at 61 is 11k between SS at 62 and SS at 70. Starting SS at 62 is the less. Difference at 70 is 62 being 200k less. I guess ballpark is better than nothing. FIRECalc shows drawing at 62 to be 200k better at 70.