Join Early Retirement Today

personal liability policy yes or no?
Old 12-30-2013, 03:01 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

personal liability policy yes or no?

I have a one million dollar umbrella liability insurance policy. I am trying to decide whether I need this or not. I was wondering if any of you have this coverage and if you think it is necessary. I had it when the kids were younger and driving, but they are grown and gone. let me know what your views are. thanks

frank
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2013, 03:17 PM   #2

Have had one for thirty plus years. Good piece of mind for a small price if you ask me.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:17 PM   #3

We have an umbrella policy, and while I'd love to drop it, I probably never well. You could still have a wreck, someone could slip & fall on your property, etc. I've been told to have coverage equal to your net worth.

I was sued by a kook who was buying a house from us, and the umbrella policy paid all the legal fees and unleashed a team of nasty pit bull lawyers on this guy, and got the case dismissed with prejudice. (long, long story)

Anyway, obviously it's your call, but I sleep better knowing I have it.

Umbrella Insurance Policies: Why You Might Want That Extra Protection - DailyFinance

Quote:
Your retirement funds, investments, savings and even your future earnings are at risk if a judge allows someone to garnish your wages to pay off a settlement. In some states, the equity in your home can be part of the judgment and you would be forced to sell your home to pay someone who sues you.
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:19 PM   #4
Administrator

Yes we have umbrella coverage, and yes we think it is necessary.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:41 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes we do and highly recommend that anyone with significant net worth have one.
sanfanciscotreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:45 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A million dollars in liability coverage for about $15 a month? I'm pretty sure I can easily carve $15 a month out of the budget before I dropped that.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:49 PM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Yes we have umbrella coverage, and yes we think it is necessary.
+1

Hope to never need it, but it gives piece of mind.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:55 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Definitely yes. Pretty cheap for the peace of mind it provides.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:57 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I carry a 2MM limit and sometimes wonder if I should bump it up.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:57 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Definitely yes +1
Richard4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:01 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes we have one and will probably drop it once the last kid is out of the house.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
SteveNU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:05 PM   #12

I have 2 MM and it cost about $20 a month. Totally worth it in my opinion.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:05 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Yes, I figure it protects me if I'm in a major auto accident above my auto insurance limits, someone slipping on the ice at my house, accidentally hitting someone with a golf shot, running into someone on a ski slope, and all kinds of other risks I can't predict. I agree the risks are less with no children at home anymore, but they are still there. Unlikely to happen, but it's not a very high cost either. I'm further comforted by SumDay's verification of what I'd heard about getting great legal support if you are sued.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I'm further comforted by SumDay's verification of what I'd heard about getting great legal support if you are sued.
I'd heard that too and it stands to reason that if the insurance company is potentially on the hook for a million or more that is going to get a fairly high level of interest.

We have a $1 million policy and I too was thinking of bumping it up a bit.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:24 PM   #15

I just bumped up my policy to $5M. It wasn't that much more, and definitely worth the peace of mind to have it.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:37 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Hmm... My umbrella is only for $1M, and I am paying more than $500/yr. Something is wrong!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 05:18 PM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Hmm... My umbrella is only for $1M, and I am paying more than $500/yr. Something is wrong!
I'm sure those six pit bulls, two trampolines, your 10 meter diving board plus your sky diving, rock climbing and auto racing hobbies have some impact on your premium.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:46 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I've heard some say not to over do it either for the following reasons. Here is a link to the argument. I have a 1 million policy and my agent has pestered me to up. Thought about it, but haven't done it.

How Does An Umbrella Policy Work And How Much Does It Cost? | Financial Samurai

How much insurance you have can easily be found via public records. If you are deemed at fault in an accident, by the time a lawyer calls you they will know exactly how much insurance coverage you have. If you have a net worth of $1 million, but have an umbrella policy of $5 million, guess what? The lawyer is going to be way more motivated to go after $5 million!

The irony is, if you had no umbrella policy and only an auto insurance liability coverage of $300,000, the lawyer may not want to pursue, or will go for a maximum of $300,000, even if you have millions of dollars in net worth. This now becomes a game of how good you are at hiding your assets!

Insurance companies also don’t want you to have more umbrella policy than you need due to their liability reasons obviously. You pay the monthly or yearly premiums, but they pay the full amount. The good thing to note is that the higher your umbrella policy, the more inclined your insurance company will be to fight for your rights!
Old 12-30-2013, 05:46 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

To the OP: I have umbrella coverage and can't imagine dropping it unless I had no assets. Kids being gone might be a factor in how much coverage I had but if I only had a million I certainly wouldn't drop it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Shop around. We have an umbrella policy and this year the premium was going up significantly. I had my agent look around and ended up the same coverage for less than half of the upcoming premium.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:28 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

For $175 a year my million dollar umbrella is my little insurance blankie
Dancer373 is offline   Reply With Quote