Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-15-2014, 05:07 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have a digital subscription to the NYT and read it pretty thoroughly on a daily basis. I also scan the local paper online in the a.m. (briefly) just to see what is going on nearby. I find in retirement that I have no interest in the TV news. I turn on the TV shortly before 7 p.m. now, to watch Jeopardy. In time, I am sure I will cancel or whittle down to basic level my costly cable TV connection.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2014, 08:42 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've slowly come to realize that the only "truth" on TV/Newspapers is 1) the stock market and 2) sports stats (of which I'm not really interested).

You can't fake/change the facts that the market did X% today or that XOM was up/down X%. Love him or hate him, you can't change Derek Jeter's batting average.

I've found that there is too much spin in the news and/or items of omission if the item doesn't fit into the editor's philosophy. As far as I'm concerned, it's all either 1) propaganda 2) nonsense or 3) crap.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:17 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
As far as I'm concerned, it's all either 1) propaganda 2) nonsense or 3) crap.
I think you might be painting all media with the same brush and I couldn't disagree more on some levels.

Re: National Mass Media- ABC, CBS, NBC, big newspapers (Gannett, etc)- too much money and power at stake to believe that everything is on the up and up. The are probably agendas that we will never ever know about. Most likely not entirely 100% credible since Cronkite years.

Re: Cable nets- Fox,CNN, MSNBC etc... I agree with you. The agendas are blatantly obvious. To feed the beast 24/7 there must be bullshit and talking heads and thus philosophies are served to those who are already predetermined believers. If you love Fox you hate CNN and vice versa...or you believe neither.

Re: Local news- Mostly good people trying to get it right, but believing that being first is more important than being right. Also failing to confirm facts because of the urgency to be first. Making simple mistakes because of inexperience and youth in the newsroom in most markets outside the top 50. Pressure for ratings on air and page views online has trumped the basics. Still, on the local level, the publics 'right' and 'need to know' wins most of the time. My experience is that locally there are few personal agendas, but the world has become sound bytes and breaking news rather than connecting the dots and asking the right questions.

Again, my experience and opinions only. Peace and Love
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:20 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We watch the NBC News at 6 pm in Seattle, and CBS Sunday Morning at 9 am. I also watch a one hour business show weekdays via PVR. Even at that, there is a lot of duplication: The Costa Concordia floats again! Obama uses Executive Orders. Hamas bombs Israel.

In Mexico, we are isolated from local news because our Spanish is not good enough for their rapid-fire delivery. We feel that contributes to our enjoyment.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:56 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
I think you might be painting all media with the same brush and I couldn't disagree more on some levels.

Re: National Mass Media- ABC, CBS, NBC, big newspapers (Gannett, etc)- too much money and power at stake to believe that everything is on the up and up. The are probably agendas that we will never ever know about. Most likely not entirely 100% credible since Cronkite years.
I wouldn't go so far as making Cronkite "100% credible". He was a outspoken liberal after his retirement. I find it hard to believe he didn't tilt his coverage based on this. His "I don't see how we can win this" (paraphrase) comment on one of his nightly news broadcasts is considered a turning point is US public opinion on Viet Nam. This isn't a specific slam on ol' Walter but I don't believe personal opinions or incentives won't tilt everyone to some level or another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Re: Cable nets- Fox,CNN, MSNBC etc... I agree with you. The agendas are blatantly obvious. To feed the beast 24/7 there must be bullshit and talking heads and thus philosophies are served to those who are already predetermined believers. If you love Fox you hate CNN and vice versa...or you believe neither.

Re: Local news- Mostly good people trying to get it right, but believing that being first is more important than being right. Also failing to confirm facts because of the urgency to be first. Making simple mistakes because of inexperience and youth in the newsroom in most markets outside the top 50. Pressure for ratings on air and page views online has trumped the basics. Still, on the local level, the publics 'right' and 'need to know' wins most of the time. My experience is that locally there are few personal agendas, but the world has become sound bytes and breaking news rather than connecting the dots and asking the right questions.

Again, my experience and opinions only. Peace and Love
There's a big difference between news and commentary. If a station keeps them reasonably separated you just have to realize that things for what they are. In CNN's case I hate the "big story" concept where they will swarm the same story or small group of stories and repeat them endlessly.

My biggest pet peeve is the lack of news in both local and national news. As a classic example there was the "selfie" of some kid with Warren B and Paul M in the background. How is it a "selfie" since he didn't take it? Why is it news? Why should anyone care? In any event I lost at least 5 minutes of my life yesterday on this that I'll never get back. We have seemingly replaced the news (current events that might matter) with cutsey crap, apartment fires, car wrecks and meaningless trivia.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:21 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Years ago we stopped watching local TV news--we called it the "murder and mayhem" show, esp. Here in a major metro area when every night there is at least one murder or other major crime to report.

Now, since being RE for two years we hardly watch CNN anymore, whereas before we were serious CNN junkies. Now I am focusing my energy on things and people of value that are close to me. Too much of the news is just not relevant.
AnIntentionalRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:34 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
I wouldn't go so far as making Cronkite "100% credible".
2B, reference was to the era, not Walt in specific.. somewhere along the line there was a paradigm shift in thinking. Perhaps a poor analogy, but news organizations were in the business of journalism, then at some tipping point, they were in journalism to do business.

Does the media mirror the culture of the times or is it trying to shape the culture? Chicken or Egg?
Old 07-15-2014, 01:43 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
My biggest pet peeve is the lack of news in both local and national news. As a classic example there was the "selfie" of some kid with Warren B and Paul M in the background.
+1.. interesting tidbit from the last local news research study I was involved with. Previous study in 2009 earlier showed that 'repetition' of stories was a big turn off to viewers. That kind of repetition was related to having already seen the story on a previous newscast or on another station. Efforts were made to 'advance' stories with new and fresh information to fight the repetition issue.

Fast forward to a study in 2013 and the definition of 'repetition' has changed for the consumer... now it means having 'heard about the story from anywhere, any source'. Not only traditional media, but now Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Reddit, RSS feeds, friends, texts. The speed at which content moves to consumers is now breathtaking. I have 'liked' the local police department's Facebook page and they are certainly quicker that my old TV station in getting the word out.

Confucius said 'may we live in interesting times'
Old 07-15-2014, 02:23 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

I stopped watching local news programs many decades ago when the format changed from journalistic reporting, to smiling, friendly, joking newscasters. When Ted was in charge of CNN it was worth watching. I share the view with others here the major cable "news" programs now (with the exception of PBS) are just worthless.

But having said this, I have on occasion become a news junkie, especially during the later stages of presidential campaigns, during a Malaysian jet type thing, or when the U.S. starts into one of its "shock and awe" overseas adventures.

Then, maybe about a year before retirement, when I finally started my internal countdown clock, my tolerance for talk about unhappy events, news, shows, etc. seemed to wane. I don't know but I think I was transitioning from the competitive businessman I was into a more social, less aggressive animal. Now I seem to be more interested in positive happenings, what people are doing to better things, or just relaxing and enjoying what I actually have control over, rather than worrying about all the other nonsense I cannot do anything about.

I have indeed noticed a change in myself.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:40 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaMan View Post
Now I seem to be more interested in positive happenings, what people are doing to better things, or just relaxing and enjoying what I actually have control over, rather than worrying about all the other nonsense I cannot do anything about.
I've noticed the same change in myself, spending more time doing stuff like the below image than thinking about all the stuff going on elsewhere. It certainly is more relaxing.

DW wanted that one right by the front door. It's the first thing you see coming in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tulips.jpg (128.1 KB, 14 views)
Old 07-15-2014, 04:46 PM   #31

Walt, you're very talented! Beautiful!
Old 07-15-2014, 04:49 PM   #32

We got out of the evening news habit when we lived in Germany for several years in the late 90s and never picked it back up again. We've always (except in Germany) had the daily local paper delivered, and last year I got an offer to use a small number of airline miles to get the Wall St. Journal. We've enjoyed reading it although we don't finish it cover to cover (and I generally find the op-ed pages too aggravating to read).
MBAustin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:11 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

I stopped watching the news about 18 months ago and it has been wonderful to have that time to read or relax instead. It feels good to eliminate all the negative news.
outdoorgirl02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:18 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

I used to be an absolute news and politics junkie. I don't know what happened, it's like a switch was turned off and I no longer have the slightest interest. I do watch the evening news though, and marvel at how worthless the network newscasts have become...
Derslickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:45 PM   #35

I love the news. It makes me feel so...normal.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:08 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Pretty much don't watch any news. Anything important I find out second hand.

I feel no need to be "informed".
Old 07-15-2014, 09:15 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

My need for entertainment means I get all my news from The Daily Show and Colbert Report.
Jaded salami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:23 PM   #38
Full time employment: Posting here.

Don't you want to know what you need to fear next?

Then watch the commecials to tell your doctor this is the medication you need.

I wonder if there would be a way to get notifications about car chases. Now that's entertaining.
Elbata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:11 AM   #39

I stopped getting the newspaper here many years ago because it was such a waste of paper and money. There was more than 2X the space devoted to ads and "fluff" such as horoscopes, Ann Landers, etc. Now I only read it twice a month on Saturdays for a PBS radio show. Prior to that I used it mainly for mulch in the garden. I see just as much TV news on the "coming attractions" as what is reported on the actual show so I don't waste my time with the local news. There isn't anything that I can do about the idiocy, cruelty as well as political baloney that comprises the bulk of news on TV so I figure why bother. If I hear of anything that is of importance to me then I can search the web.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:51 AM   #40
Gone but not forgotten

Confession of a news junkie...
Am totally fascinated by the news... and spend far too much time following. I've been doing this for many years, and while we still get two daily papers, I spend less time with them now than ever before... mostly live TV.
IMHO, AlJazeera does the best job of offering in depth, and balanced reporting, with very little little newsperson opinion thrown in. The coverage is at the level of the NYT, and then some. An expensive proposition. Next, NPR, and then for balance MSNBC and Fox for the comedic aspects. Local news, no... Chicago area news is just a litany of crime and corruption. MSM NBC, ABC, Fox CBS, and now CNN... just headline flashes as a framework for commercials. Shallow.

Age has a lot to do with this. Less activity of all sorts. No shopping, visiting, entertainment (as in shows and events), and less eating out. Leaves lots of time for watching the country and the world, in the framework of history.

For most, a waste of time I suppose, but it becomes a hobby, studying a point in time where more "history" takes place in a day, than what used to develop over centuries.

What others may find depressing, is for me, very interesting. Nothing to be done to affect any outcomes, but far more exciting than any current movie, with a cast of characters, and a myriad of sets that could never be duplicated.

A real time experience that keeps me on the edge of my seat.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote