Join Early Retirement Today
Old 07-16-2014, 07:04 AM   #41
There's the same amount of news as there was 50 years ago. What has changed is "we the viewers". We can't get enough. We want more, in every possible flavor and form, both raw and refined. It's like sugar to a diabetic, we can't metabolize what we're getting now but we still crave more.

Being retired at first allowed me the time to consume more of this. It was a great feeling at the time, I still remember staring at the tv screen (CNBC or CNN) while on the treadmill. This bad habit was not that hard to break, I now filter my sources more carefully and limit my daily consumption. This is much easier to do in retirement. I don't need a w*rk related news flow and have plenty of time to find the sources that best suit my needs.

Another of the many advantages of early retirement.

MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2014, 07:50 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Was never a news "junkie", but watched and read, and followed the old talk shows - Brinkley, Face The Nation, etc., because I liked getting the different perspectives, so I could formulate an informed opinion on issues.

I rarely watch any news on TV, and do a drive-by on CNN and Fox websites, just to not be totally ignorant. So much of what passes for news is opinionated drivel, sensationalism, voyeurism, and mind-numbing mind-boggling horse puckey.

It's done lots for my outlook to tune it all out. I can barely control what goes on within, and only get one vote (which I'd like to think is well-informed)...

Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:04 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets
I canceled all my periodicals recently and now am spending a few hours at the library every other week to browse/read them. It is better than getting them delivered because I have a much greater selection and I can read just the parts I am interested in. No buyers remorse from throwing out unread issues.

Not to mention saving $250 a year!
AnIntentionalRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:05 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I dread it when my dad comes to visit as he holds my TV hostage to Fox News all day and night. Now I do watch O'Reilly Factor daily as I find it entertaining. But the show is not "hard news" and doesn't even claim to be. I do not understand why people complain about the "viewpoint" of the show when it clearly does not promote itself that way. Hannity is another example. Now I personally do not like the show, but hammer it on not liking it or it's viewpoints, not that is a biased "news" program. It's an opinion/commentary show.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:28 AM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
loved the video...have never heard that song but it rings true. Haven't thought of Loudon in years, but now I won't be able to get 'dead skunk in the middle of the road' out of my head

Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote