Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-14-2014, 12:40 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Despite some other weird personality issues (nowadays, they'd probably diagnose him with a form of a rain-man syndrome) my brother has an amazing gift: He can recognize people he hasn't seen since kindergarten--55 years ago. Even if they have a beard, glasses and a hat, he'll go right up to them and say: "aren't you so-and-so?" and he is always, always right.
My ex-BF has this facial recognition gift (whereas I am borderline "face blind" ). We'd be at Lowe's and he'd spot a classmate from 1st grade at the end of the aisle. We also ran into his grade school art teacher somewhere. While river kayaking, we ran into someone to whom he'd sold his car a few years prior. I could go on and on. An absolutely amazing gift. I always thought he ought to work for the FBI or someplace where this skill would be a valuable asset.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2014, 12:43 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
My ex-BF has this facial recognition gift (whereas I am borderline "face blind" ). We'd be at Lowe's and he'd spot a classmate from 1st grade at the end of the aisle. We also ran into his grade school art teacher somewhere. While river kayaking, we ran into someone to whom he'd sold his car a few years prior. I could go on and on. An absolutely amazing gift. I always thought he ought to work for the FBI or someplace where this skill would be a valuable asset.

omni

That's not a disability. That's a talent!
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 01:14 PM   #23

Quote:

omni
I have a friend like this. Years ago (decades ago) when I was 18 and in college I waited tables to earn money to pay for college. Years later when I was in my 50's, I hired someone into my department at work and we became friends. The first time I ever met her husband, he asked me "did you used to wait tables at Jerry's in Richmond"? Stunned, I nodded yes. He said, you waited on us (he and my friend were dating at the time). My friend says he is always like this - remembers everybody he ever had any contact with. Amazing.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 01:35 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
My neighbor was more than bi-polar. Once, he was hitting on 3 women in the neighborhood including DW. He accused me of having a sex slave (DW) and wrote a letter to DW on how he is going to save her from me. After the letter and a few stalking instances, we got our restraining order. Other stories were just as crazy - wielding sword and playing with neighborhood children (this land him in the jail, although detail on how was rather fuzzy).

Delusional. Sounds paranoid schizophrenic....Some deceased family member experience with that, myself.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:37 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
The next time I meet them, I will remember the name, but am unlikely to recognize the person unless there was something distinctive about their looks.
I'm the opposite - I can remember faces but not names. It gets embarrassing sometimes - "Oh, that's good 'ol what'shisname, I worked with him for 25 years. Nice guy."

A good friend is bi-polar, he's the airplane mechanic/flight instructor I've mentioned from time to time. He gets treatment, but doesn't like the drugs so rarely takes them. But he manages.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:31 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

omni
I have this too. Sometimes I feel like other people just don't pay attention, which may not be accurate. A few days ago I saw a woman that I danced with one or two times about 6-7 years ago, she was a good dancer and I enjoyed the experience. We were shopping at Trader Joe and I knew immediately who she was and where she had crossed my path, but I don't like to feel rejected if I speak up and realize that the other has no clue that she has ever met me, let alone where or when.

Finally we were in the check out together and she said "I feel like I know you". I told her that I did know her, and where and when. She smiled and said, well, we've danced together so we have to hug, and held open her arms.

Nice day at TJ's.

Ha
Old 11-14-2014, 02:32 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMolly View Post
I have a friend like this. Years ago (decades ago) when I was 18 and in college I waited tables to earn money to pay for college. Years later when I was in my 50's, I hired someone into my department at work and we became friends. The first time I ever met her husband, he asked me "did you used to wait tables at Jerry's in Richmond"? Stunned, I nodded yes. He said, you waited on us (he and my friend were dating at the time). My friend says he is always like this - remembers everybody he ever had any contact with. Amazing.
DH has this ability. And he always remembers names, places, and general dates (but not like people who can recall every day of their lives). Pretty much a photographic memory--he did really well in school. Now it is a really helpful thing when watching a movie and I can't figure out what that actor has been in.

Unrelated, there is a cousin in his family who is charming and somewhat delusional--we were recently with him in a group of people he didn't know and he introduced himself individually to every person as having a different interesting career. Very difficult for me to spend much time with him. He actually has been successful in business but then crashes and burns, takes six months off, and gets hired by another company (at least that's what he tells us). I think his meds are skewed to treat depression, but bring out the delusions.

Re bosses with personality disorders--many people who post here have said they turned down or stepped down from management positions. The only people left who wanted those jobs must have been a little nuts!
Old 11-14-2014, 02:39 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

One of my best friends has been trying to get a divorce from her ex who has Narcissistic Personality Disorder. It has been a complete nightmare. Seems he got much worse since they separated.
outdoorgirl02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 02:40 PM   #29

I can't remembers the faces nor names, relative to the norm. That's my disability. But I have a very selective memory. I can remember random mix of numbers and letters but can't remember my cell phone number. I can't remembers passwords and have to recycle same ones.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:43 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorgirl02 View Post
One of my best friends has been trying to get a divorce from her ex who has Narcissistic Personality Disorder. It has been a complete nightmare. Seems he got much worse since they separated.
The best advice a doctor has on NPD is to stay away from them. Supposedly, it is the worst of PD and worst to treat. People with NPD don't believe they have one, and their loved ones have to drag them to see help.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:46 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Bipolar can be treated with meds - but some folks with bipolar don't like the "flatness" - they love the manic phase, and don't want to get rid of it in order to eliminate the depressive phase.
So true- when they are 'up' they are on top of the world. OK for them but not pleasant for their family when the depression cycle begins...

Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 02:48 PM   #32

I am getting like you Walt on the names vs faces.

I had a female boss that displayed Histrionic Personality Disorder (HPD). After being around her for a few years and watching her behavior, I came to the conclusion HPD is just another form of Sociopathic behavior. These people learn how to get the attention they crave by manipulation. It was easy to see how she made it into management.

Histrionic personality disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 11-14-2014, 03:09 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbugdave View Post
I had a female boss that displayed Histrionic Personality Disorder (HPD). After being around her for a few years and watching her behavior, I came to the conclusion HPD is just another form of Sociopathic behavior. These people learn how to get the attention they crave by manipulation. It was easy to see how she made it into management.

Histrionic personality disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I am having hard time understanding what "nails" someone as having HPD. It seems the behaviors attributed to HPD are commonly found in many among us. What raises the flag to be labeled as HPD? Perhaps, I just haven't been around with many women.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:15 PM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
I am having hard time understanding what "nails" someone as having HPD. It seems the behaviors attributed to HPD are commonly found in many among us. What raises the flag to be labeled as HPD? Perhaps, I just haven't been around with many women.
It seems to me that labeling someone with a personality disorder is just a more powerful way to say that you don't like them.

If two people don't get along, is there some judge who can say which one has the personality disorder?

Ha
Old 11-14-2014, 03:20 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
It seems to me that labeling someone with a personality disorder is just a more powerful way to say that you don't like them.

If two people don't get along, is there some judge who can say which one has the personality disorder?

Ha
Nailed it. I think every one of us has a number of quirks which the establishment feels it must categorize.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:21 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

Ha
With NPD, it's pretty clear one has it or not, often with devastating consequences with people around them. I suffered through it with several members of my family. With HPD, I just don't know. Based on wiki's description, it's hard to tell where to draw the line.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:08 PM   #37

I had the unfortunate experience of crossing paths with a psychopath in college. It was an awful experience. The only way to deal with a psychopath or narcissist is to go no contact; cut off all ties.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 05:38 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
Usually they get promoted into upper management. Or elected to high office.
I'm not to sure about the elections, but......

My last boss at megacorp was almost normal, I actually liked him before (and after) he got the job. I wanted to ask him how he got the job as he wasn't a total (moron, physco, idiot). Then one day, he told me about changes he was about to make in our dept. He lied. I retired.
Rick_Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 05:41 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Robnplunder - so true on the NPD. He thinks everyone else is crazy and that he is the only normal one around.
outdoorgirl02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 06:45 PM   #40
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Borderline personality disorder. I can feel days of my life being removed when around the person and decided there was no offsetting positive reason to associate with them. Unfortunately there is still peripheral involvement.

+1 on the BPD entanglements. Can't wait for the holidays!