Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: what personality type are you?
ENFP 3 1.80%
INFP 3 1.80%
ENFJ 1 0.60%
INFJ 8 4.79%
ESTJ 5 2.99%
ISTJ 48 28.74%
ESFJ 1 0.60%
ISFJ 6 3.59%
ENTP 4 2.40%
INTP 22 13.17%
ENTJ 4 2.40%
INTJ 52 31.14%
ESTP 2 1.20%
ISTP 6 3.59%
ESFP 1 0.60%
ISFP 1 0.60%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Re: Personality Poll
Old 09-15-2005, 02:10 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Nords is right about age changing things - I've slowly migrated from ENFJ to ISTJ - actually, my E/I, N/S and F/T were about 50% each but my J is off the chart - and as my life bane I end up working with strong Ps :-)

Bridget

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2005, 02:25 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Laurence, the lone ENFP, "All by myself....."

Seriously, are ENFP's (5% of general population BTW) just that in love with work, or are we just too incompetent to save for retirement? :P

Old 09-15-2005, 02:44 PM   #43

Quote:
Any thoughts as to why on a RE board the overwhelming majority would be Introverted thinkers?
Remember also that we are on an Internet forum here. That is, each of us is sitting (probably alone) in our room rather than out at some social gathering.

IOW, in addition to selection by being on the RE forum, our population is also restricted to computer types.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:56 PM   #44

I tried to duplicate this poll on the Trombone Forum, but they won't allow 16 options. Oh well, the differences would have been interesting.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:23 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It looks like I am the only ENTJ who voted. Odd, because depending on how far into introversion vs. extroversion one is, ENTJ is pretty close to INTJ.

I guess I just prefer more activities "with others". Hey, I've heard that phrase somewhere before...*

Ha
Old 09-15-2005, 04:47 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
It looks like I am the only ENTJ who voted. Odd, because depending on how far into introversion vs. extroversion one is, ENTJ is pretty close to INTJ.

I guess I just prefer more activities "with others". Hey, I've heard that phrase somewhere before...*

Ha
Disclaimer: I have no idea what this means. Even though I score INTJ
in spades, I actually like people (that is not quite right.......I enjoy a lot of
people but I see more morons than most of you do). If you take the whole
population, then I am underwhelmed big time. That said, I am gregarious
in the extreme. I talk to everyone whether I know them or not.
I'm not kidding. What do you make of this? Okay, anyone who has posted
here 6000+ times obviously likes the sound of his own voice, but still.....

JG
Old 09-15-2005, 04:58 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

I think it's time once again for that classic article on the Care & Feeding of Your Introvert.

It's not that I don't like people, it's just that sometimes I get so darn tired of them!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 05:16 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Or "innies" are not very friendly and outgoing and spend their time figuring out ways to avoid having to go to work so they can sit at home playing on the computer.
Martha, although I'm of the "issies" tribe, you have found me out.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:53 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
I think it's time once again for that classic article on the Care & Feeding of Your Introvert.

It's not that I don't like people, it's just that sometimes I get so darn tired of them!
That's a fantastic article. Very insightful. I don't think I've read it before. The intro describes it as humorous, but I thought it was all very straightforward.

JG, I am not shy in most situations, but if the social/public encounter involves or is likely to lead to judging me or commenting on my choices then I find I have much better things to do. I'm quite anxious in dating, sales and job interview situations. (Perhaps that's more J/P than E/I.) I think introversion isn't necessarily shyness but a way of relating to oneself and others.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:13 PM   #50

Care & Feeding of Your Introvert

Thanks for that link, it really nailed me. It gives me another excuse for not going to a party.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:21 PM   #51

I agree also. Sometimes I am around people who just wear you out. They never stop talking and don't say very much at all. I am just so glad that I did not marry someone like that or I would have been divorced years ago. I am also grateful that my children are not like that either.

Dreamer
Old 09-15-2005, 06:35 PM   #52
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yup, it isn't that we introverts don't like people, it's just that they exhaust us.

For the other 11 INTPs, take a gander at the INTP website.* I found the detailed description to be very accurate (well, of course except for the stubborn part, right, DW? ) and helped me understand myself a bit better.

http://www.intp.org/intprofile.html
Old 09-15-2005, 07:13 PM   #53

Thanks!* I especially relate to the part about introverts being unable to explain their state of being to extroverts: the deriving energy by being alone vs. deriving energy by being with people thing.

One of my personal challenges is traveling extensively with a confirmed extrovert, and trying to explain the "maybe we can go our own way for most of the day" reality before the need becomes urgent.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Old 09-15-2005, 07:35 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by tozz
Thanks!* I especially relate to the part about introverts being unable to explain their state of being to extroverts: the deriving energy by being alone vs. deriving energy by being with people thing.

One of my personal challenges is traveling extensively with a confirmed extrovert, and trying to explain the "maybe we can go our own way for most of the day" reality before the need becomes urgent.*
INTP here. Another internet forum that I posted on for years found a similar excess of the INTP INTJ types, substantially beyond the general public.

That supports the theory that innies prefer to find our social interaction on the computer where we can control the time and extent of interaction.

The other board was a group of "childfree by choice" women, and we postulated that we had a surfeit of introverts because the idea of being responsible for another human 24/7 for 18 (or 30) years made us cringe. We also were more thinking and less impusive.... in other words actually thought about whether we wanted children before having them.

Interesting food for thought.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:55 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl

The other board was a group of "childfree by choice" women, and ......

Interesting food for thought.
INTP here. I have two kids, 5 and 9. Occasionally they will go to gramma's for a weekend, and I realize how incredibly liberating it is just to be able to hear myself think. I have no point other than to remark that when you're an intp, even your own family can 'exhaust' you

- John
Old 09-16-2005, 12:17 AM   #56

Great article. It really nailed me.
I have always wondered why I don't mind being alone. I didn't know why after getting together with a friend(s) for several hours, I would begin to get tired and couldn't wait to leave them to go home where I would begin to regain my energy.
Wow!

MJ
Old 09-16-2005, 01:12 AM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

INTJ married to an ESFP.

malakito
Old 09-16-2005, 06:32 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronk
Yup, it isn't that we introverts don't like people, it's just that they exhaust us.
For the other 11 INTPs, take a gander at the INTP website. I found the detailed description to be very accurate (well, of course except for the stubborn part, right, DW? ) and helped me understand myself a bit better.
http://www.intp.org/intprofile.html
I scored as an INTP on the short test. On the longer test I think I scored as a ENTP.
It was very close to the middle between the I & E.
But the info on the link you provided was accurate for me in many way.
After reading it; I'm not sure if I like myself!
Old 09-16-2005, 08:40 AM   #59

I have always been (both by testing and by practice in the extrovert category).

In my opinion, whether you are extroverted, or introverted, a good start in the ability "to play well with others", is a good sense of humor, and the ability not to take yourself too serious.

(Raising children forever cured me of the last part.)
Old 09-16-2005, 08:50 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

I'm whatever the type is that won't take the time to take the test.*