Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: what personality type are you?
ENFP 3 1.80%
INFP 3 1.80%
ENFJ 1 0.60%
INFJ 8 4.79%
ESTJ 5 2.99%
ISTJ 48 28.74%
ESFJ 1 0.60%
ISFJ 6 3.59%
ENTP 4 2.40%
INTP 22 13.17%
ENTJ 4 2.40%
INTJ 52 31.14%
ESTP 2 1.20%
ISTP 6 3.59%
ESFP 1 0.60%
ISFP 1 0.60%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Re: Personality Poll
Old 09-16-2005, 09:06 AM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'd actually encourage you to take the time to take the test. Perhaps it is only pseudo-science (I've read articles about plenty of psychologists who think personality typing is bunk), but I've found it to be helpful in understanding my (and others') reactions to the world around me. But in order to get to that point, you need to do more reading than what is involved in merely taking the test. It was definitely worth the time investment for me.

I'm an INTP, DW is an ESFJ. Apparently in some cases opposites do attract. Though, oddly, most of the time we reach similar conclusions, we just get there through very different mental processes.

Some people are close enough between types that more knowledgeable people than I refer to it with an 'x'. So you might be an xNTP. Also, some people capitalize the letters they are strong in, and use lower case for those that are closer to the middle.

Which would make me: InTp (strongly Introverted, moderate Intuition, strongly Thinking, moderate perceiving)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2005, 10:13 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronk
I'd actually encourage you to take the time to take the test.
I imagine some of the Exxx's couldn't care less about their type. If I had been reading up more I probably could've narrowed it down to a couple of types. The xxTx's seem to really get into it, though, especially xNTx's. And Libras...oh wait, sorry, wrong venue.

I too am somewhat suspicious of typing--or for that matter all psychology--but it did help me feel more validated (try not to puke too much) and explain why I don't seem to relate well to most people...or at least not relate to people as others do.

Old 09-16-2005, 01:39 PM   #63
Dryer sheet wannabe

ENFP here. Been retired since 1/2/2004 at age 56. Gives me the freedom to be authentic. ERed from the government as a scientist where I was stifled big time. Life is so much better. Moved to the coast and bought a new sailboat and house after selling the old one. The new house and boat cost about the same as the house I sold. Much better than taking an HELOC. Life is good. I can now pursue what I want!
Old 09-16-2005, 02:07 PM   #64

The I versus E is very interesting - when people meet me, they would probably peg me as an E, but as my husband knows, if I don't have my alone time to recharge, I'm a bear. It is about energy - people feed off of my energy versus me feeding off of theirs, hence the need to recharge doing what I want to do and not having to focus on someone else's agenda or needs.

I remember doing a modified Myers-Briggs (True Colors) seminar at one of my previous employment places. Two things, most of the participants were technicians and very strong ISTP/J's. Scared the heck out of the moderator as she had a majority of the population minority in her class and that particular type hates this personality typing (being naturally skeptical about everything). Was hilarious to see her cringe and try to compensate. Next was the E/I determination - basically they asked if you were the person at the party who had to leave early because you lost energy or if you were the die-hard who stayed because it enervated you....E's feed on the external energy, I's on the internal energy. I had those pegged from our group right away :-)

Bridget
Old 09-16-2005, 02:17 PM   #65

I don't know how this affects the E vs. I continuum, but in answering that shortened Myers-Briggs test for the E-I question, I was sort of in the middle. If I'm at a party/gathering with strangers, I'm not very outgoing. If it is a close group of friends or close family, then I'm rather extroverted and comfortable. For me, it depends on the situation. I believe someone else here brought up that critique of the Myers-Briggs type tests - their results are valid only some of the time, and personality is largely a function of situation. That how I feel at least.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:08 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
I believe someone else here brought up that critique of the Myers-Briggs type tests - their results are valid only some of the time, and personality is largely a function of situation. That how I feel at least.
They're valid when I'm stubborn or otherwise antisocial.

INTP! INTP! I'm not a jerk, this is how I'm supposed to be!
Old 09-16-2005, 06:10 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
I don't know how this affects the E vs. I continuum, but in answering that shortened Myers-Briggs test for the E-I question, I was sort of in the middle.* If I'm at a party/gathering with strangers, I'm not very outgoing.* If it is a close group of friends or close family, then I'm rather extroverted and comfortable.* For me, it depends on the situation.* I believe someone else here brought up that critique of the Myers-Briggs type tests - their results are valid only some of the time, and personality is largely a function of situation.* That how I feel at least.
I tend to dominate all social venues (surprise surprise)
Relatives, friends or total strangers..........doesn't matter.
I never saw this at all until I became a bachelor and started
dating at age 53. Lots of useful feedback. Anyway, some people
like it and some don't. No surprise there I guess.

JG
Old 09-16-2005, 06:32 PM   #68
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMoneyJim
.... and explain why I don't seem to relate well to most people...or at least not relate to people as others do.
I'm like that too, I have my own way of getting to know people. I just don't feel truly confortable until I have had a chance to get down and sniff the folks in the room.

Woof! Woof!
Ha
Old 09-16-2005, 07:51 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
Even though I score INTJ
in spades, I actually like people (that is not quite right.......I enjoy a lot of
people but I see more morons than most of you do). If you take the whole
population, then I am underwhelmed big time. That said, I am gregarious
in the extreme. I talk to everyone whether I know them or not.
I'm not kidding. What do you make of this? Okay, anyone who has posted
here 6000+ times obviously likes the sound of his own voice, but still.....

JG
It is my understanding that the term "introverted" as it is used in the M-B context, does not mean a person is shy. It means that their sense of self-worth emanates from within themselves, as opposed to deriving it in large part from others. An "I" person can still be gregarious.

I think that one of the reasons that I's are so common in this forum is that a person who derives self-worth from themselves is more immune from the "keep up with the Jonses" syndrome, and perhaps is less likely to run with the lemmings in other ways. Both of these help in attaining FI, and probably are qualtites that also help with the RE part.

INTP myself

Old 09-16-2005, 09:54 PM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

My wife says I'm either a BRAT or a PITA, but I don't see those options in the poll and she won't tell me what they stand for.

*shrug*
Old 09-16-2005, 11:12 PM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

INTP's Unite and take over the world !

Oh wait, then we'd have to get together... maybe after I get just one more home project started...

John (INTP)
Old 09-17-2005, 10:42 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOG51
I'm whatever the type is that won't take the time to take the test.*
That would be rational.
Old 09-17-2005, 11:00 PM   #73

http://early-retirement.org/forums/i...33830#msg33830
Old 10-02-2005, 08:50 AM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

ENFJ; so far, seems like the only one.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:34 PM   #75

ISTJ here!

Dreamer
Old 10-02-2005, 11:21 PM   #76

On this test I am INTJ - however, when I took a longer Meyer's-Briggs version, I am INFJ.

I would* say I have a "practical enthusiasm" or "enthusiastic practicality." I also like to keep my options open as well as have a "skeleton" structure to adhere to in the meantime. I would also say that I'm "thoughtful in my feelings." How's that for screwing up the results?*

I'm definitely an introvert, don't like crowds or loud parties. Much rather have a profound conversation in a corner somewhere.

Billy is hard core INTJ

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement
Old 04-16-2006, 09:53 AM   #77
Moderator Emeritus

Resurrecting this poll. If you haven't voted, you still can!

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:02 AM   #78

Bump.
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:06 AM   #79
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndependentlyPoor View Post
Bump.
...tiddy bump bump, bump bump!

Sorry, couldn't resist...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:25 AM   #80

As an ESTJ, I've always had alot of "NT" friends (and son and -ex) and "I" friends. "NT's" are so darn creative, and "I's" actually listen. But each of the 16 different personality assessment styles has it's place in this world for sure!
Viva la difference!!!