Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Personality Type (modern, not Myers Briggs)
Old 09-01-2018, 06:23 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Personality Type (modern, not Myers Briggs)

This forum has a tendency to talk about personality in terms of Myers Briggs. Myers Briggs was invented half a century ago and really isn't taken seriously in the field today. The science has come a long way, and we have a much better understanding of personality now than we did then.

I thought we might try assessing ourselves with something that incorporates a modern understanding of personality. Research has shown for decades that personality can be broken down into five main factors.

Here's a Big Five test. It takes about 3 to 5 minutes to complete.

https://openpsychometrics.org/tests/IPIP-BFFM/

Here are my results:

For people who don't know how to copy an image: right click on the image, select "copy image address," click the image box in the menu bar of your post (the little mountain), then paste the address into that box.

Their factor V is labelled "Intellect/Imagination," but it's more commonly referred to as "Openness."

Here are brief descriptions of the 5 factors, for those who aren't familiar with them. (Maybe best not to read these until after taking the test, as doing so may bias your responses?)

Factor I: Extroversion. Outgoing and social vs. introverted.

Factor II: Emotional Stability. Low scores would be associated with proneness to negative emotion (e.g., depression, anxiety).

Factor III: Agreeableness. Friendly, optimistic (vs. critical, ornery, aggressive).

Factor IV: Conscientiousness. Careful, organized, diligent (vs. impulsive, disorganized)

Factor V: Openness. Open to new ideas and experiences (vs. traditional, conventional).
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2018, 06:51 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Seems to me that the questions/results indicate how one views oneself more than anything else; for example, I can say I'm conscientious (IMO) but others might view me as a goof-off.

Likewise 'concern for others', et al.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 07:09 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

This test may be more scholarly and give more information, but it isn't as much fun. But I'll try.

"Hey, I'm a 96 type IV. What about you, honey? Wanna come organize my closet with me?"
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 09:11 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

A lot of it depends on the time of day. I'm critical and ornery in the morning, so that's when I go to the gym. Later on, when I'm optimistic and friendly, I can do the things I like :-)
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 09:12 AM   #5

I've had several of these personality tests done in the course of team building/management workshops when I was working. It seems to me that the models that gain the most traction are the ones that can put people in nice little boxes and then the outside consultant can come in and give everyone a set of operating instructions for how to deal with each other.

The modern scientific tests that emphasize that there's a continuum in personality traits will never be as popular. Nevertheless, here is mine:
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 09:22 AM   #6

HR types forced this stuff on me. Not going to voluntarily do one on my time.
I yam what I yam.... [emoji16]
Old 09-01-2018, 09:45 AM   #7
Gone but not forgotten

Was kinda fun... dunno what's good, what's bad. As my son always says, "it is what it is".

Don't guess it will change my life.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Test.jpg (27.8 KB, 58 views)
Old 09-01-2018, 10:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Seems to me that the questions/results indicate how one views oneself more than anything else;
That's how self-report questionnaires work. Same thing with just about every personality test ever. Except for projectives like the Rorschach, which have almost no validity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
I've had several of these personality tests done in the course of team building/management workshops when I was working. It seems to me that the models that gain the most traction are the ones that can put people in nice little boxes and then the outside consultant can come in and give everyone a set of operating instructions for how to deal with each other.

The modern scientific tests that emphasize that there's a continuum in personality traits will never be as popular.
That's right. Easier to come up with a dumbed-down system that puts people into 4 categories, then dole out simplistic advice based on those categories. Consultants come up with endless variations and make lots of money. I prefer science, but what do I know.

Quote:
Nevertheless, here is mine:
Thanks for playing. Very similar to mine.

My guess is that most people here would score high in conscientiousness. That's the factor (actually a subfactor, industriousness) that is a very good predictor (along with IQ) of career success.

Interesting to see the high Openness scores. I've always associated that with creativity and liberal leanings, whereas this forum seems rather conservative and traditional to me (though I could be wrong, just my impression). Otoh, maybe people who are more open are more willing to take the test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Was kinda fun... dunno what's good, what's bad. As my son always says, "it is what it is".
No good or bad, just a description along the major lines that describe people's personality. Thanks for playing. Extremes can be problematic. High neuroticism (low emotional stability) can be problematic. In general, though, everything has pros and cons.

And no, it won't change your life; it just describes the personality you meet it with. Which is pretty much a done deal and locked in, by the time we're old enough to be talking on ER.org.
Old 09-01-2018, 10:21 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

My agreeable scale is quite high, but my friends and DH, I'm sure, won't agree.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 10:25 AM   #10

Here is a more in-depth description of the traits, for anyone wondering how to interpret their results:

https://www.verywellmind.com/the-big...nsions-2795422

And here is the wikipedia breakdown:

Extraversion (outgoing/energetic vs. solitary/reserved). Energy, positive emotions, surgency, assertiveness, sociability and the tendency to seek stimulation in the company of others, and talkativeness. High extraversion is often perceived as attention-seeking and domineering.

Low extraversion causes a reserved, reflective personality, which can be perceived as aloof or self-absorbed. Extroverted people tend to be more dominant in social settings, as opposed to introverted people who may act more shy and reserved in this setting.

Neuroticism [labelled as Emotional Stability in the test above, so it's described from the opposite pole here.] (sensitive/nervous vs. secure/confident). Tendency to be prone to psychological stress. The tendency to experience unpleasant emotions easily, such as anger, anxiety, depression, and vulnerability.

Neuroticism also refers to the degree of emotional stability and impulse control and is sometimes referred to by its low pole, "emotional stability". High stability manifests itself as a stable and calm personality, but can be seen as uninspiring and unconcerned. Low stability manifests as the reactive and excitable personality often found in dynamic individuals, but can be perceived as unstable or insecure. Also, individuals with higher levels of neuroticism tend to have worse psychological well being.

Agreeableness (friendly/compassionate vs. challenging/detached). Tendency to be compassionate and cooperative rather than suspicious and antagonistic towards others. It is also a measure of one's trusting and helpful nature, and whether a person is generally well-tempered or not.

High agreeableness is often seen as naive or submissive. Low agreeableness personalities are often competitive or challenging people, which can be seen as argumentative or untrustworthy.

Conscientiousness (efficient/organized vs. easy-going/careless). Tendency to be organized and dependable, show self-discipline, act dutifully, aim for achievement, and prefer planned rather than spontaneous behavior.

High conscientiousness is often perceived as stubbornness and obsession. Low conscientiousness is associated with flexibility and spontaneity, but can also appear as sloppiness and lack of reliability.

Openness [labelled Intellect/Imagination in the test above] (inventive/curious vs. consistent/cautious). Appreciation for art, emotion, adventure, unusual ideas, curiosity, and variety of experience. Openness reflects the degree of intellectual curiosity, creativity and a preference for novelty and variety a person has. It is also described as the extent to which a person is imaginative or independent and depicts a personal preference for a variety of activities over a strict routine.

High openness can be perceived as unpredictability or lack of focus, and more likely to engage in risky behaviour or drug taking. Also, individuals that have high openness tend to lean, in occupation and hobby, towards the arts, being, typically, creative and appreciative of the significance of intellectual and artistic pursuits. Moreover, individuals with high openness are said to pursue self-actualization specifically by seeking out intense, euphoric experiences. Conversely, those with low openness seek to gain fulfillment through perseverance and are characterized as pragmatic and data-driven—sometimes even perceived to be dogmatic and closed-minded.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Fi...onality_traits
Old 09-01-2018, 10:30 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 10:33 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER Eddie View Post
That's how self-report questionnaires work. Same thing with just about every personality test ever..
So...totally subjective, and therefore basically meaningless?

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 10:36 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post

Don't guess it will change my life.
Same here. It doesn't really tell me much that I didn't already know. I guess the same is true for Myers-Briggs, in which I am an INTJ. I am pretty used to being me, after 70+ years of it. Here's mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (33.2 KB, 30 views)

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 11:10 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I demonstrate my fantastic agreeableness by trying to refrain from commenting on these threads. I have read a lot about this scale, it is one favored by former professor and current popular writer Jordan Peterson. I like the scale. Many women are agreeable, at least on the surface.

I think truly understanding this might be very helpful for me.

Ha
Old 09-01-2018, 11:39 AM   #15

So with an Agreeableness score of 5 does that mean I'm officially an old curmudgeon now?
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 12:35 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

This description makes it sound as if the higher your Openness (or "O") score, the less likely you are to FIRE. Yet here I am, with an "O" of 96, and no drug abuse or risky behavior in my background.

It also makes it sound as if people who prize good taste and beauty, can't also be highly disciplined.

"High openness can be perceived as unpredictability or lack of focus, and more likely to engage in risky behaviour or drug taking. Also, individuals that have high openness tend to lean, in occupation and hobby, towards the arts, being, typically, creative and appreciative of the significance of intellectual and artistic pursuits. Moreover, individuals with high openness are said to pursue self-actualization specifically by seeking out intense, euphoric experiences. Conversely, those with low openness seek to gain fulfillment through perseverance and are characterized as pragmatic and data-driven—sometimes even perceived to be dogmatic and closed-minded."
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 12:53 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'd say I'm stable, but bland
Attached Images
File Type: png BIG5 Personality test graphic-09-01-2018.png (1.9 KB, 20 views)
Old 09-01-2018, 01:29 PM   #18

Very similar to the Big Five survey/result I posted on the other “Personality Type” thread.
Attached Images
File Type: png 1E7EACDF-A3A1-4C59-A7C9-725D47618399.png (1.8 KB, 21 views)
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 01:37 PM   #19

Hmmmmm......
Old 09-01-2018, 01:58 PM   #20

Pretty much agrees with the INTJ that I consistently come out as on the MB:
Attached Images
File Type: png BIG5-results-graphic.php.png (1.9 KB, 21 views)