Join Early Retirement Today

Pet door for sliding door
Old 10-04-2015, 07:59 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Pet door for sliding door

New home has a sliding door for backyard entry. We will need one of the patio door panel inserts with a pet door for 2 medium size dogs. Googling reviews brings up quite a few sites that are really selling a product vs providing neutral reviews....

Anyone with any good experience with a particular type or brand of pet door insert?

My doggies thank you in advance!
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2015, 08:18 AM   #2

I have a removable dog door in my sliding door that I put in every morning and take out every night. I ordered it from either Home Depot or Petsmart, it's been too long to remember which one. I have a 9 foot tall slider, so I wasn't able to find one in the stores with that height. They usually have the 8 foot tall ones in stock.

Mine does not lock and I can't set my alarm with the dog door in, so I just cut a dowel to keep it in place during the day if I am gone. But I think you might be able to find a door that can lock with your existing sliding door if you look around.

You might check at both types of stores, they usually have them in stock so you can check the size of the entry for your dogs. My dogs are pretty small so the flap is too small for a person (other than a little kid) to fit through. You don't want the door to be too big, just high enough for your dogs back to fit through. There have been plenty of break-ins through a dog door, so smaller is better.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:51 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We have a sliding glass door without a pet door. I woke up one night to a skunk pushing on the patio door, apparently looking for the pet door (and dog or cat food) entrance. Our neighbor has trouble with racoons getting into the cat food.

I think if we got a pet door it would have to be one with a microchip to keep out all the critters we have in our area. I saw this on youtube but I don't own one:

Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 10:35 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I bought one of these and my wife will tell you it is the second best purchase I made (first was the invisible fence).

Shop PetSafe Patio Panel Large White Aluminum Sliding Pet Door (Actual: 16.375-in x 10.25-in) at Lowes.com

You do lose the opening width taken by the pet door. That may be a consideration for you. We did not permanently install it but leave it in most of the time.
user5027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 11:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by user5027 View Post
I bought one of these and my wife will tell you it is the second best purchase I made (first was the invisible fence).

Shop PetSafe Patio Panel Large White Aluminum Sliding Pet Door (Actual: 16.375-in x 10.25-in) at Lowes.com

You do lose the opening width taken by the pet door. That may be a consideration for you. We did not permanently install it but leave it in most of the time.
great...DW and I are headed to Lowes today to check them out..
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote