Pet Insurance

wabmester

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Can anybody recommend a good pet insurance provider?

The first hit google returns is petinsurance.com. Coverage seems reasonable, and cost is about $300/yr for our 5-year-old sheltie.

Thanks.  It turns out that petinsurance.com is VPI, and our vet also recommends VPI.   It also turns out that they have something like 85% market share.   I'd like to invest in them!

They also offer a reduced cap policy.   I just signed up for a $9000 capped policy for $162/year.   We just paid $500 for surgery on our pup for removal of a benign growth, and I figure this could be the start of many more bills down the road.    Shelties also tend to have hip problems, and hip surgery could cost something like $2000.

I don't have pet insurance but I have thought about it. I have a female golden retriever and she has a chronic urinary tract problem. I was taking her in every 4-5 months for a shot and antibiotics. I searched the net and found a  urinary tract supplement so I gave it a try. Haven't had to take her back in over a year now. www.drfostersmith.com is another good source for pet supplies.

wab said:
Thanks, I'll look into. If you can tell me the dose they use, I may just buy generic glucosamine instead (assuming the research justifies the application).

Gave our 70 lb Lab 1000 mg of generic glucosamine daily. It made a significant improvement in her quality of life.

wab said:
Thanks, I'll look into.   If you can tell me the dose they use, I may just buy generic glucosamine instead (assuming the research justifies the application).

This stuff is::
Per 1/4 oz
1250mg Glucosamine HCL and sulfate
25mg Shark Cartilage which includes Chondroitin
8mg Boswellin
3mg Yucca Powder
5mg Manganese
1mg Bromelain
5mg Vit C
5mg Omega 3 fatty acid
1.67 mg Omega 6 fatty acid
80IU Vit A
2 IU Vit E

Our dog is 45 pounds and gets 1/3 TSP on her food twice per day.
It seems to have made a real difference.

Another product that might be worthwhile if your dog is younger and not presently hurting, would be "Joint Eze Plus by Sergeants.  Even Wal*Mart has this one.  Sergeants probably has a website to read about it.
Let me know if you find the Glucosamine in liquid form.
Woof, woof

REWahoo! said:
Gave our 70 lb Lab 1000 mg of generic glucosamine daily.  It made a significant improvement in her quality of life.
Where did you find this stuff wawa??

JPatrick said:
1250mg Glucosamine HCL and sulfate
25mg Shark Cartilage which includes Chondroitin

Thanks -- I did look this stuff up.   It seems to be generally accepted by vets, and the NIH just completed a study (not yet published) for humans.

The brand that vets dispense is Cosequin.   It's 500mg Glucosamine HCL and 400mg Sodium Chondrotin Sulfate.  (2 per day for dogs 25-49lbs).

wab said:
Thanks, I'll look into.   If you can tell me the dose they use, I may just buy generic glucosamine instead (assuming the research justifies the application).
Glucosamine works well in horses, too, it just hasn't been found to be effective in humans (yet). I think the dose is based on weight, although with horses it's not that precise.

It's worth comparing prices online. The horse versions are occasionally cheaper than the dog versions, although you may have to cut up a pill to reduce the dosage, and you can get it by the pound instead of the ounce.

Here's some bookmarks I tried a couple years ago when our kid was still riding dressage:
http://www.equineperform.com/horse_glucosamine.asp
http://www.smartpakequine.com/productclass.aspx?productclassid=174
http://www.smartpakequine.com/prodcompare.asp?CATID=359
http://www.horsetech.com/triflex.htm#Quick Links to Product Pages
http://www.biomedicalabs.com/animal_health.htm
http://www.kinetictech.net/equine.html

Nords said:
Glucosamine works well in horses, too, it just hasn't been found to be effective in humans (yet).

From the Arthritis Foundation website:

"Studies on glucosamine are promising. A review of two studies, each of which analyzed more than a dozen glucosamine studies, found this supplement to significantly and consistently improve pain and joint function, as well as or better than conventional drug therapy (NSAIDs).

One recent long-term study conducted in Belgium over three years showed patients with mild to moderate knee OA taking 1,500 mg of glucosamine had 20 percent to 25 percent less pain and disability than those taking the placebo. Researchers also found glucosamine slowed, if not stopped, the progression of the disease and reduced cartilage loss. Glucosamine has been studied only in people with knee or hip OA. More studies are needed for long-term safety and effectiveness to be established."

http://www.arthritis.org/conditions/supplementguide/herbs_g.asp

REWahoo! said:
From the Arthritis Foundation website:

"Studies on glucosamine are promising. A review of two studies, each of which analyzed more than a dozen glucosamine studies, found this supplement to significantly and consistently improve pain and joint function, as well as or better than conventional drug therapy (NSAIDs).

One recent long-term study conducted in Belgium over three years showed patients with mild to moderate knee OA taking 1,500 mg of glucosamine had 20 percent to 25 percent less pain and disability than those taking the placebo. Researchers also found glucosamine slowed, if not stopped, the progression of the disease and reduced cartilage loss. Glucosamine has been studied only in people with knee or hip OA. More studies are needed for long-term safety and effectiveness to be established."

http://www.arthritis.org/conditions/supplementguide/herbs_g.asp

Lots of people swear by gluco.  My neighbor takes a pill at the same time the dog does.  Great improvement to the knees.  A couple annoying side affects- - -I catch him crapping on my lawn almost daily, and once in a while he will try to sniff my butt.  On the upside though, he no longer comes over to mooch my Corona- -nope, just a bowl of water on the patio and he is a happy camper. ;)

JPatrick said:
A couple annoying side affects- - -I catch him crapping on my lawn almost daily, and once in a while he will try to sniff my butt.  On the upside though, he no longer comes over to mooch my Corona- -nope, just a bowl of water on the patio and he is a happy camper. ;)

Yeah, watch out for those side-effects.   Excessive drooling and bad breath too. :)

You might want to try Glycoflex, I gave that to my lab and it turned a 12 yr old into a puppy again. It was expensive from the vet but I bought it from KV Vet Suppy on the net really inexpensively. I swore buy it and I'm thinking now of getting it for my current Lab, I just need to research how it might interact with the Phenobarb he takes. In hind site I should have put pet insurance on this little guy, he has epilepsy, had Lime disease twice and allergies.

Cj

I examined pet insurance a few times. It looked like a nice money-maker for the
insurance company so I decied to pass on it. Too many exclusions, low caps, etc.
I tend to believe in self-insurance for anything that I can afford to anyway,.

The last of my first "family" of 4 dogs passed in Jan 04, all of old age or cancer.
The last, a cairn terrier, had a large tumor in her throat at age 12. Surgery, chemo,
and radiation therapy came to about $8K. It gave her about 27 extra pain-free months
before a rapid 5 day descent. Insurance would have covered very little of it due to
various exclusions. Insurance costs rise rapidly as dogs get older, which is when they
normally need expensive treatments. Remember, insurance companies offer these
policies to make money.

My second "family" has just been completed (3 adoptions of rescued dogs). I looked
at pet insurance to see if it had improved since 1985, but it had not.

We have a dog that takes clomacalm, an antianxiety/antidepressant (like prozac) for dogs. It is pricey. We tried ordering a generic version, clomipramine, over the internet. Our vet wouldn't approve the script. When we are back in town, we will follow up with the vet. But right know I am irritated. As near as I can figure, it is the SAME drug.

We have pet insurance for our 2 dogs through www.petcareinsurance.com

We pay $10 a month each. One has a $50 deductible and the other has a $75. It does not cover vaccination or drugs, although you can get those plans. We live out in the woods and the dogs are very active and always getting into one thing or another. The policy pays for itself with one vet visit to extract 30+ porcupine quills. Not fun.

Our 10 year old lab takes lots of drugs for arthritis, allergies, and other ailments. They all help, but I'm expecting that she will break or tear something sooner or later and I would pay thousands of dollars to keep her around, as long as she isn't pain afterwards. This is why I have the insurance. I see my choice as insurance or credit card debt.

yelnad said:
We have pet insurance for our 2 dogs  through www.petcareinsurance.com

We pay $10 a month each. One has a $50 deductible and the other has a $75. It does not cover vaccination or drugs, although you can get those plans. We live out in the woods and the dogs are very active and always getting into one thing or another. The policy pays for itself with one vet visit to extract 30+ porcupine quills. Not fun.

Our 10 year old lab takes lots of drugs for arthritis, allergies, and other ailments. They all help, but I'm expecting that she will break or tear something sooner or later and I would pay thousands of dollars to keep her around, as long as she isn't pain afterwards. This is why I have the insurance. I see my choice as insurance or credit card debt.

We kept our previous lab alive from age 10 to 14 on a
collection of drugs. My wife at that time thought the dog should be
put down. I couldn't do it. She died in Illinois with my son while
I was working in Texas. I have a real soft spot for animals.
Mostly why I quit hunting.

JG

Pet Insurance?!?!  OMG, there's like 40 million Americans without even Health Insurance, and who knows how many more millions of illegals without health insurance.  What's his name was right in his book, we really are living in an affluent time!

OK, I'll shut up now before all the pets pick up my scent  :D

Back
Top Bottom