Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-04-2009, 10:15 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

We have five cats...or as some one once told me we are lovingly owned by five cats. The three older ones go out to terrorize what ever small creatures they can find and run off other cats. The two younger ones content themselves by reeking havoc inside. They are all a bunch of odd balls much like the humans who care for them.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2009, 10:19 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Karly lives outdoors. She likes to keep an eye on things, especially Jack, the neighbor's mule.

Old 04-04-2009, 12:22 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

2 dogs, with a fully fenced in back yard. Never outside alone except for "business" trips. If I am outside, always within view or "helping" me with yardwork.
Double garage for anytime we're gone, even short periods. I use an oversized dog crate for the one who chews on stuff when left alone. The other dog is fine.
Music, gas stove on low for colder weather, used bathroom rugs for laying on for both.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:00 PM   #24
Dryer sheet aficionado

Lakedog - Beautiful picture of your Coal! Brought back memories.

My first dog as an adult was a chocolate lab and then we added a pug. It was hard to keep the lab out of the water (and we lived on a boat for some years). The pug would try to follow but couldn't keep his muzzle up far enough, long enough. Here's a pic of the lab on me in my survival suit. And to pretend to make this post relevant, both dogs were leashed in the harbor but were free to roam the boat when we were tied to the dock or on anchor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kerwin and survival suit.jpg (21.6 KB, 128 views)
Old 04-04-2009, 01:27 PM   #25

My 3 dogs are usually inside when no-one is home, but if the weather is nice I might leave them outside (suburbia, cinder-block fence).
Old 04-04-2009, 01:49 PM   #26

Presenting Harry, the world's bussiest dogger...

He stays indoors except for "necessity." We have a fenced yard but he's too much of a mama's boy to stay out there by himself.
Old 04-04-2009, 06:57 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakedog View Post
My lab (Coal) usually stays inside if I leave him at home but whenever possible I take him with me. If I run short errands, he rides along and hangs out in the car (except on very hot days). My neighbor will sometimes let him out during the day if I am gone more than a few hours.

Coal loves the water but I only give him access to the lake when I can supervise.
Wow! Nice pic of the diving dog.
We used to have labs (actually slabs - shepard lab mix).
Now we have 2 cattle dogs. They stay with us. Indoors or out. So that we are there to cater to their every need.

Free to canoe
Old 04-04-2009, 09:25 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakedog View Post
My lab (Coal) usually stays inside if I leave him at home but whenever possible I take him with me. If I run short errands, he rides along and hangs out in the car (except on very hot days). My neighbor will sometimes let him out during the day if I am gone more than a few hours.

Coal loves the water but I only give him access to the lake when I can supervise.
Nice pics. Got to love water dogs.

Old 04-05-2009, 03:03 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Presenting Harry, the world's bussiest dogger...

He stays indoors except for "necessity." We have a fenced yard but he's too much of a mama's boy to stay out there by himself.
\\

Harry is sooo cute!

my pooch is indoors and leashed outside, or else he'll run around like a balloon deflating around the neighborhood...he's still a puppy and learning...
Old 04-05-2009, 04:09 PM   #30

Thanks! Harry rules the roost, lol. He's quite bratty but adorable.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:49 PM   #31

slightly OT =

Today while walking my dog saw her first horse. It was great man it came clip-clopping behind us on this path, dog was sniffing tree, looked back... first time I've ever seen that dog speechless. Her eyes got big as quarters, with 5 full seconds of dog face going "what the fuuuuuuuuuuu?" then started barking with hair on back up and tail down.

Good times.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:48 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve88 View Post
what if your neighbors is a jerk and taunts and antagonize the dog? Then he blames it on you for not properly training your dog. Would you still leave it outside?
Is this a rhetorical question? Is there any advantage to leaving your dog outside in this type of situation?

To answer the original question: Two cats, indoor-only (for safety reasons and for the wildlife -- domestic cats are major killers of migratory songbirds, who are already struggling in populations in some areas). One big dog, indoor-outdoor during the day, but if we leave she's inside in her crate. No worries, that way, and no chance she'll accidentally get out of the yard (fully fenced and gated).
Old 04-06-2009, 12:27 PM   #33

My cat stays inside all the time......unless when he sits in my lap on the patio watching the world go by.
I would never leave my pets outside.....
Old 04-06-2009, 12:35 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

2 pugs, always inside unless we are home and supervising outside play. When your dog sleeps 8 hours straight, its pretty easy to leave them indoors for that time period.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:43 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

2 cats, outside. That is, until one got hit by a car apparently, and now the other one ran away.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:06 PM   #36

We have a terrible time here with the results of everyone around us letting their pets roam free. We have several cats using our flower beds as litterboxes, dogs that crap and leave their scent willy nilly all over our property, dead mice and squirrels in the yard, and that sort of thing.

Often they roam just outside our house and send our dog into a barking tizzy.

A couple of times we've seen sharp bone shards left in places where we could have easily backed over them with our tires had we not seen looked ahead of time.

So I think you can kind of see what I think about pets being allowed to roam outdoors.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:24 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
We have a terrible time here with the results of everyone around us letting their pets roam free. We have several cats using our flower beds as litterboxes, dogs that crap and leave their scent willy nilly all over our property, dead mice and squirrels in the yard, and that sort of thing.

Often they roam just outside our house and send our dog into a barking tizzy.

A couple of times we've seen sharp bone shards left in places where we could have easily backed over them with our tires had we not seen looked ahead of time.

So I think you can kind of see what I think about pets being allowed to roam outdoors.
Good fences make good neighbors.
I used to have to deal with all that. My dogs got worms several times by eating small critter carcasses left by a previous neighbor's 3 cats. There was an agressive dog 3 doors away that used to come investigate my yard.
I am fully fenced in now. Worth every penny!
Old 04-06-2009, 03:25 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Good fences make good neighbors.
I used to have to deal with all that. My dogs got worms several times by eating small critter carcasses left by a previous neighbor's 3 cats. There was an agressive dog 3 doors away that used to come investigate my yard.
I am full fenced in now. Worth every penny!
Fencing the perimeter is on my "stuff to do when my wife finds a job and I'm more willing to tap into savings" list.

Still won't help too much with cats, though.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 07:00 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Fencing the perimeter is on my "stuff to do when my wife finds a job and I'm more willing to tap into savings" list.

Still won't help too much with cats, though.
Ziggy, for help with the cats you might try a motion-sensor impact sprinkler (the type that shoots a jet of water out about 20 feet). Aim it at the flower beds, turn that baby on and let 'em get hit. Our local organic feed & seed rents them to help with raccoon control, but they're only about $60.

Live-trapping is a much less neighborly option, but might also send an effective message.

Oh, and if you do get that fence built there's cat fencing that can go on top of it -- basically netting that hangs at a 90-degree angle and keeps the cats from scaling the fence.

Can you tell we have marauding cats, too? Our lab has cut down on that problem a lot, though.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:06 PM   #40

We have a few neighborhood kitties that enjoy stalking our hummingbird feeder. I keep a spray bottle with water at the door