Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-08-2009, 05:09 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have cat door and my and roommates/girlfriends cats (which has varied from 2 to 5 over the last 5 years) spend a fair amount of time outside. My house is in an extremely pet friendly area no cars, coyotes, snakes or other dangerous things.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2009, 10:27 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

It seems like the majority of people here keep the dog inside the house. Learn something new all the time. I always thought if you have a yard thats where the dog goes.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:39 AM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Cats do what they like with their subfloor access to the house. If they get hit by a car one day that's just more catfood for me to stock up for early retirement.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:33 AM   #44

4 cats, indoor/outdoor. They have a pet door. Most of the time they stay indoors, venturing out onto the screened-in porch. There's a 2nd pet door from the porch to outside. The yard isn't fenced, so they can wander about if they like.

One of our almost-one-year olds has decided to become a hunter. Over the last few weeks, he brought inside a headless small rabbit and a live bird. The bird flew away after I caught and released it, so hopefully it lived. I'm hoping that if I keep taking his toys away from him, he'll stop bringing them inside. Almost more disturbing was the appearance of half a dozen feathers near the base of the stairs last week with no signs of a captured bird.

We have another cat who enjoys hunting my dirty clothes. Last night she brought a pair of my exercise shorts down the stairs, growling all the while. At least clothes-hunting leaves less of a mess.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:08 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronk View Post
One of our almost-one-year olds has decided to become a hunter. Over the last few weeks, he brought inside a headless small rabbit and a live bird.
Stray/roaming cats were becoming a nuisance at our friends rural home where they hid themselves near birdfeeders and knocked off song birds as they snacked. Very upsetting to our friends whose hobby is bird watching.

Last visit we noticed a 22 with a scope near the door. A short while later a bird feasting kitty was spotted and, yep, quickly dispatched! I was kind of shocked to say the least. The dead kitty was placed on a large rock out back where scavangers found and removed it by the next morning.

Around there, I'd keep my kitties inside!
Old 04-08-2009, 07:11 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
The hawks kill more of my feeder birds than the cat does. I figure it's all part of the local ecology.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:32 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
The hawks kill more of my feeder birds than the cat does. I figure it's all part of the local ecology.
Yeah. Hawks are a part of nature and processes that aren't pushed by mankind.

An inconsiderate neighbor who never spays or neuters their outdoor animals and results in more than a dozen stray cats and/or dogs, on the other hand...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 07:38 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Yeah. Hawks are a part of nature and processes that aren't pushed by mankind.

An inconsiderate neighbor who never spays or neuters their outdoor animals and results in more than a dozen stray cats and/or dogs, on the other hand...
I assure you that all of my cats are (have been) neutered; and I agree it is inconsiderate/stupid not to do so.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:41 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I assure you that all of my cats are (have been) neutered; and I agree it is inconsiderate/stupid not to do so.
I wouldn't imagine you'd do otherwise. I'm just venting a little about my neighbors. Nice people, all of them, but with a blind spot about letting all their (unsterilized) critters run around and raise hell.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 08:13 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Stray/roaming cats were becoming a nuisance at our friends rural home where they hid themselves near birdfeeders and knocked off song birds as they snacked. Very upsetting to our friends whose hobby is bird watching.

Last visit we noticed a 22 with a scope near the door. A short while later a bird feasting kitty was spotted and, yep, quickly dispatched! I was kind of shocked to say the least. The dead kitty was placed on a large rock out back where scavangers found and removed it by the next morning.

That's horrible. Your friends killed the cat? I would never ever have a "friend" like that.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:49 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post

Good solution or cruelty?
A different persepctive from a gal who lives in a rural area...
I live right near 2 dairy farms. Feral (wild) cats are abundant, i.e. they multiply quickly. The farmers allow them to live in the barns and storage areas for protection for their feed grain.
None of these cats have shots and rabies is a huge concern because they capture and eat field mice, squirrels, chipmunks, etc. These cats are most likely carrying all sorts of other feline diseases.
I'm guessing the farmers will periodically thin the herd so as not to be overrun.
I have had feral cats wander over to my property and set up camp under my front steps, waiting for a handout. I would not shoot them, but dh2b would not hesitate if the cat was acting strangely or more arrived to set up camp. Fortunately, they moved on when no food was provided.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:12 PM   #52
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Since I have a townhome with no yard I take my dog outside when he needs to go for walks and recreation but otherwise he's housebound, except when in the car with me. Most dogs are on leashes in the neighborhood but there are a very, very few dogs that everyone tolerates off leash. One is a cute little fluffy Havanese who never barks and is sweet to all. The other is the neighborhood elder dog, a German Shepherd with an air of been there, done that. Everyone, animals and people, respect him and give him his space as he saunters about leashless with his guardian following behind.

Cats roaming free here are a dicey proposition. We have coyotes, cougars, and great horned owls. Cats do get let out during the day but are inside at night. Still, quite often you see posters with pictures of missing cats. "Have you seen Fluffy? She didn't come home last night."
Old 04-14-2009, 11:00 AM   #53

When I had two Siberian Huskies they stayed in the fenced-in back yard when we weren't home, as they were prone to chewing on things other than approved chew toys. They had a carpeted dog house, food and water, although more often than not I'd find them under the snow or romping in the rain. If it was hot they'd dig a hole under the overhang of the house.

During the night they came inside. They also learned how to spell "park", and would jump into open car windows instead of waiting for a door to be opened.